Allergic to MMU!!!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is my case but I'm realizing that every time I use anything mineral I get a huge cystic like zit that hurts like hell and never really surfaces. I realized the relation between one thing and the other when I was sampling Lumiere Veena Velvet foundation. Normally I would just say: "Gee, I'm getting lot of really big and painful zits lately!" and not even make a relation to what is causing them. After I read a lot of posts here about people breaking out from Veena Velvet I thought that must be my case too.

I ordered a full size of Flawless Face as I also read oily skin could use it with no problem and no reaction, I didn't even sample it. This has not arrived yet but my ingredients from TKB trading did arrive. I made a mix of kaolin clay and silica as a primer and a mix of silk powder, rice powder and sericite as a finishing powder. I used them today and yesterday and guess what's on my face right now? Yes, a huge and painful red deep zit that appeared in a matter of hours today. I was in denial to think that I might be allergic to the bunch of powders that I bought but I put some on my mother who has never broken out in her life and has dry skin, i used only the "finishing powder" I made and when she came back from work an hour ago she had FOUR red bumps in her face, not really that big but definitely not normal for her at all. I can't believe it. I mean I don't usually have perfect skin, but this are not my normal zits, this a red, swollen and big.

I'm starting to feel really bad, I think I might be reacting to mineral makeup in general and that would be very sad since I love it so much, plus I have +$100 worth of minerals on their way
frown.gif
. I'm still going to use what I ordered, pray I'm not really allergic to it.

Now I'm trying to think back to when I was sampling LilyLolo a few months ago and I have some memorable zits of the same kind from that time, even one that literally took half of my forehead, the area it comprised was so big that you couldn't really see the bump but I couldn't make any kind of facial expression without my face hurting like hell, the most bizarre one I've ever gotten and it could be linked to MMU!!
frown.gif
It's not fair I ordered a full size from Lumiere and from LilyLolo too and both might break me out. This is a super-long-rant-cry for help-thread lol.

Thanks for reading through all this crap
frown.gif

Hi

That doesn't sound like fun....I'm noticing that the makeup you're using all contain starches- if you're prone to zits they really don't help because they can help the bacteria thrive.

What brushes are you using, and how often are you washing them? My guess is that it's the brushes- if you're using the same brush all the time there's a good chance that you're "re-infecting" yourself with the acne bacteria. Either look into some new brushes (synthetics are wonderful), or give the ones that you have a good scrub and that should help a lot.

Good luck,

Karen

Have you tried mica free foundation? I don't know what to suggest really, but I also suggest using a syntheic brush.

Thanks girls! My kabuki is synthetic so I don't think it's that. I'm gonna wait till my stuff arrives, I'm going to use it everyday for a couple of weeks and then I'll be sure if it's the makeup or if it is the stress I've been going through lately that's causing the breakouts.

It could be the mica hmmm my mother got a reaction too and what I put on her only had sericite, silk powder and rice powder....

Serecite is also like plain uncoated mica. Could it be one of the starches? ie: rice, oat (I've heard oat breaks a lot of people out)

Well if the oat in Veena Velvet breaks me out then it must be the same thing with rice, but it's weird though because I used to use rice powder coated blotting papers some years ago with no problems and the other foundation doesn't have rice powder in it. It's also strange that all the products I've been trying have no ingredients in common except for the mica. Could it really be that I'm allergic to mica? I mean it's a freakin basic ingredient! Lol. I will do a little experiment over the next few weeks and I'll update. Maybe it's also all the stress from this months. I just took the MCAT and to make long story short it takes months to study for it and it lasts five hours. So very stressful months I had lately, it could be that. I reeeallly don't want to give up MMU.

Thanks for the help ladies!

P.S. Now that I'm looking at pics the huge zit I have in my forehead was beginning to form before I tried my mixes! There's still hope!

I hope you're not allergic! I've been having the same since starting mmu, but could attribute it to other things - including new moisturizer and primer.

Well, allergies can develop or worsen over time, repeated exposures even it you did use a product years ago. Or it could be something combined with it. Or some are indeed mica sensitive :-( I'd try to patch test & eliminate just as you are doing so you get an idea what is/isn't causing it. & Even stress , hormonal changes can cause or excaberate breakout reactions Good luck & I hope you find out exactly what it is!

Originally Posted by Sheikah /img/forum/go_quote.gif Well if the oat in Veena Velvet breaks me out then it must be the same thing with rice, but it's weird though because I used to use rice powder coated blotting papers some years ago with no problems and the other foundation doesn't have rice powder in it. It's also strange that all the products I've been trying have no ingredients in common except for the mica. Could it really be that I'm allergic to mica? I mean it's a freakin basic ingredient! Lol. I will do a little experiment over the next few weeks and I'll update. Maybe it's also all the stress from this months. I just took the MCAT and to make long story short it takes months to study for it and it lasts five hours. So very stressful months I had lately, it could be that. I reeeallly don't want to give up MMU.
Thanks for the help ladies!

P.S. Now that I'm looking at pics the huge zit I have in my forehead was beginning to form before I tried my mixes! There's still hope!

I think that you've gotten a lot of good advice. I would look at ALL the ingredients in your makeup and try to determine the commonality. Then do a patch test. Make sure that your brushes are clean. What are you cleaning your brushes with? Good luck trying to figure this out. I would think that you could come up with a foundation that you can wear, especially since you are getting products to make your own.

Thanks for all the advice, it's really helpful! I'm not really looking into making my own foundation yet, I just wanted to make primers and finishing powders but I could try it later on. I hope the ones I ordered work.

BTW does it count as a reaction if I only get like one BIG zit somewhere in my face and the rest is fine? Because it's not like it itches or I get lots of zits it's just a big zit somewhere in my face then that goes away and I get another in some other part of my face. The really big, red, painful ones.

Hey, that stinks! I can't use silk or rice powders either. I've tried both numerous times, in various formulations, and that's what I've concluded. There are some other brands that I can use just fine that don't have these ingredients (KT Naturals, My Minerals, Alima seem to work best for me). Maybe you could sell these and just sample some brands for awhile to see which work best for you?

Good luck!

I broke out with big zits. Lumiere especially gave me that reaction, which sucks since I love their foundation. But hours after application, I could already see the huge zits forming. Silk & rice also make me break out, not necessarily in huge ones, but lots of red zits all over. It sucks! I'm 42 and don't want this, LOL. Other foundations that broke me out horribly are Jenulence and Fryianne (sp?). I'm not sure what ingredients are in those, off the top of my head, but I know after the first use of each, there was no way I was testing them again.

Oh that sucks! I don't have that type of reaction with the silk, just the big zits which might not be mmu's fault I can't say I'm sure yet. My mom was def allergic to something in my mix but I've been using what I made all the time since I wrote this post to be sure it was a reaction to that but nothing else seems to be happening, I haven't got any other zit apart from the one I told you about so I still have hope it's not really the mmu.

Update: I finally figured what made my mother breakout was not the stuff I mixed but a sample of Veena Blush I gave her. No wonder the breakouts were only on the cheeks lol. Too bad because I had beautiful colors of Veena Blush, samples only though. I thought she could use them instead of me but no. So the Avena Sativa definitely makes us both break out.

Arrg this sucks, this things are painful and don't come to a head they just hang there.

Now I'm even unluckier I ordered some all over color powders from Lumiere and they didn't have the ingredients of those listed. Well I ordered BEFORE I asked, big mistake, I just received an e-mail from Kim, who is super nice btw, telling me the all over colors that didn't have the ingredient well guess what, both of mine does. They haven't even arrived and I already know I can't use them, so sad.
frown.gif
Why do I have to react to that stupid ingredient!! I mean I can use rice powder just fine, what's up with oat powder?

Originally Posted by Sheikah /img/forum/go_quote.gif Arrg this sucks, this things are painful and don't come to a head they just hang there.
Now I'm even unluckier I ordered some all over color powders from Lumiere and they didn't have the ingredients of those listed. Well I ordered BEFORE I asked, big mistake, I just received an e-mail from Kim, who is super nice btw, telling me the all over colors that didn't have the ingredient well guess what, both of mine does. They haven't even arrived and I already know I can't use them, so sad.
frown.gif
Why do I have to react to that stupid ingredient!! I mean I can use rice powder just fine, what's up with oat powder?

On the site I don't see the all over colors which I assume to be the silkies, having Avena Sativa in the ingre. Only the l/vv foundations, blush, veil and silk have oats.

The all over colors are not listed there which is why I didn't know they had the ingredient. The silkies are a type of eye shadow. The all over colors Kim told me did NOT have the oat powder were: True Radiance, Summer Warmth and Soft Radiance. Maybe I can help someone who reads this and is also allergic to avena sativa, those are the safe all over colors. The others have the ingredient although in a small proportion. Gladly Kim is super nice and we were able to work something out in regards to the products. Let's see how it goes when they get here. I'm nervous lol.

Originally Posted by Sheikah /img/forum/go_quote.gif The all over colors are not listed there which is why I didn't know they had the ingredient. The silkies are a type of eye shadow. The all over colors Kim told me did NOT have the oat powder were: True Radiance, Summer Warmth and Soft Radiance. Maybe I can help someone who reads this and is also allergic to avena sativa, those are the safe all over colors. The others have the ingredient although in a small proportion. Gladly Kim is super nice and we were able to work something out in regards to the products. Let's see how it goes when they get here. I'm nervous lol. I see. I didn't look at the e/s section after I saw the mattes have a.s.
This means innocence and babyface have a.s, which I have ordered
kopfkratz.gif
but only samples. I don't know if I am allergic to them yet though. I didn't order the samples of the vv cos of a.s as I have sensitive skin but I got the concealers as I really want to try them.

Latest posts

Back