Anemia / Anemics

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Is anyone else out there anemic, or dealing with mild/severe cases of anemia? What are some tips you have on dealing with it? What can you do to make your lifestyle more pleasant (not tired, etc.)? The standard advice is to increase your Iron intake, but some people (like me) have a problem with the Iron not binding where it needs to, so it all gets depleted. I've found that taking Folic Acid helps it to bind. Any other suggestions? Off the top of my head, I'm going blank, but I'll add more soon! ~Julia

Well I'm severe anemic in a sense. I have hemophilia, 3rd female in the USA diagnosed with it, woohoo my claim to fame.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Anyway, I eat a lot of high iron food esp. when I feel lagged. Some foods that are high in iron are of course meat, fish & poultry, beans, whole grains, enriched breads, well theres a lot really. I can't take iron either. Have you been diagnosed with anemia? Maybe a B12 shot would help but only if you lack B12, a blood test could tell you that. I never heard about folic acid for that, my SO takes it but only because he had a heart attack a few years ago & his Dr said to take it, not sure why tho.

I used to be tired all the time at my worst but now you'd never know there was ever a problem. I run around all day at work like a nut but when I get home, I'm fried. Not too much more I can do but I do try to be as physical as possible, it seems to help *if that makes sense*

Originally Posted by Kage_sCupotea Is anyone else out there anemic, or dealing with mild/severe cases of anemia? What are some tips you have on dealing with it? What can you do to make your lifestyle more pleasant (not tired, etc.)?
The standard advice is to increase your Iron intake, but some people (like me) have a problem with the Iron not binding where it needs to, so it all gets depleted. I've found that taking Folic Acid helps it to bind.

Any other suggestions? Off the top of my head, I'm going blank, but I'll add more soon!

~Julia

I get shots for it every two weeks or so. The shots work FANTASTICALLY! You might ask your doctor about it!

I HATE the iron pills too and do not tollerate them at all. I hear ya!

If you are interested in the shot, I'll get the name of it for you.

Cali

mutgeenie.gif
<--- keeper of the shots!

Originally Posted by Kage_sCupotea Is anyone else out there anemic, or dealing with mild/severe cases of anemia? What are some tips you have on dealing with it? What can you do to make your lifestyle more pleasant (not tired, etc.)?
The standard advice is to increase your Iron intake, but some people (like me) have a problem with the Iron not binding where it needs to, so it all gets depleted. I've found that taking Folic Acid helps it to bind.

Any other suggestions? Off the top of my head, I'm going blank, but I'll add more soon!

~Julia

Hey everyone...yeah, well...I've been anemic for quite a while, but never really took care of myself. I had my son 2 years ago and I mainly worry about taking care of him. So, I finally got put in the ER a few weeks ago for severe dizziness and faint spells. They pumped me with IV fluid and sent me home taking 2 iron pills a day. Well, I've never been a big pill taker at all, so I'm only taking one a day...but they still make me SO sick to my stomach! The first few days I took them, I was curled up in a ball in bed just moaning from the pain! I still get lightheaded and dizzy and the pills upset my stomach, whether I eat them with food or not! I've never heard of shots though....what're they?
icon_question.gif

Originally Posted by Tony(admin) I am not anemic, only FAT
icon_eek.gif
LOL Tony.
My sister in-laws is anemic, she's been taking pills too and adding her diets with these foods:

Milk, Cow and chicken liver, yoghurt, fish, brocolli, natto, bowns rice and many more.

Hope you feel better ad get well soon.

edit:

By the way, this maybe could do a little help for you.

i hear white wine helps iron bind. also the kiddo flintstone vits. have enough iron in them if the adult ones make you sick just take two a day with some orange juice.

ts

I was anemic before I started taking birth control pills because I had such horrible periods. They were extremely heavy the whole 8 days! I had to take extra iron then but i'm fine now that i've got my periods under control.

Latest posts

Back