Angelina in black face?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
joliepearl2.jpg

Despite disappointing box office sales, Angelina Jolie's latest movie A Mighty Heart has sparked its fair share of controversy in the media. At the heart of the matter is not whether Hollywood exploited the tragic death of journalist Daniel Pearl to make summer blockbuster cashola (my beef with the movie, for the record).
Rather, critics are up in arms about the decision to cast a very white Angelina Jolie as a woman of color. Insult, they say, was added to injury by the production company's decision to darken Jolie skin, change her eye color with contact lenses, and put her in a wig that resembled the Afro-Cuban-Dutch heroine Marianne Pearl's dark, thick, curly hair.
K. Emily Bond of the Huffington Post calls it "black-face" and goes on to suggest that "this casting choice illustrates the magnitude of the time warp Hollywood got sucked into or the vacuum within which it exists." Bond also makes the point that if they film wanted to downplay the interracial aspect of Daniel and Marianne's relationship, they should have left Angelina fair-skinned and blue-eyed.
But since the film obviously opted to portray Marianne's race, Bond suggests it would have been more "sensitive" to cast one of the many talented actresses of color such as Thandie Newton or Halle Barry, who she points out is just as hot as Jolie according to AskMen.com.
So what do you think? Is it acceptable for Hollywood to cast white actresses as women of color? If it is, how should they negotiate the difference in skin color? Is it better to leave the actress as she is, or to, as Bond puts, dress her up in black-face?
Source

Isnt the women half white? Anyways who really cares because if it wasnt for Angelina Jolie i dont think that movie would have been made. As long as Marianne Pearl i dont think there should be such an issue.

Quote:
Of Dutch-Jewish, Afro-Latino-Cuban and Chinese Cuban ancestry got that from wikipedia.

I didnt even know this was an issue because I remember Marianne was quite excited and happy with the fact that Angelina was playing her.

Did that change?

But I do agree Thandie would have been a better cast if it was just based on appearance. But perhaps producers didnt think that Thandie could sell the movie. Not like even Angelina did - but money always gets the last word here in Hollywood.

Well Angelina is close with Marianne Pearl plus Brad Pitt is one of the producers so thats why Angelina was chosen. I think people didnt watch the movie because they are sick of Brangelina. If it was someone else i think people would have watched it.

I, for one, was not particularly keen on black-faced Jolie. But it is clear to me that for Ms. Pearl, money talks. I can't criticise her for that, but let's face it, Angie is gonna want to play a courageous heroine in a movie that she sponsors.

They do this all the time, it is to be expected. =/

They always list indians as mexicans or asians as native americans or asians as indians etc.

It's acting, I don't mind as long as it's realistic or that it is "buyable"

Originally Posted by emily_3383 /img/forum/go_quote.gif Well Angelina is close with Marianne Pearl plus Brad Pitt is one of the producers so thats why Angelina was chosen. I think people didnt watch the movie because they are sick of Brangelina. If it was someone else i think people would have watched it. True. I saw the movie and I thought she did a good job.

Originally Posted by Annia /img/forum/go_quote.gif They do this all the time, it is to be expected. =/
They always list indians as mexicans or asians as native americans or asians as indians etc.

It's acting, I don't mind as long as it's realistic or that it is "buyable"

I totally agree.
I remember movies where asian's were played by white people. Sure that was back in the day... but it did happen!

Considering the scandal that was caused by Memoirs of a Geisha, I'm surprised they would choose to cast people of a different race to represent another.

I remember that one - the scandal Memoirs caused was a big deal in the countries they represented but I dont think anyone really batted an eye here.

But I believe Ken Watanabe explained the casting very well when he said that nobody gets angry when an American plays European and vice versa - besides appearance, talent and how you portray that role is much more important.

Aren't actors supposed to portay a character??? That's their job, and I believe Angelina's wig etc were part of a costume. Sure they could have picked Thandie...but maybe she wasn't the right actor?? Someone shouldn't just be granted a part because they fit the look.

Many actors play roles of different ethnicities that their own...I don't see the big deal.

I agree with Benebaby. Actors and actresses play different roles. Makeup and costume is a huge part of any role. Should not have been that much of an issue.

Babyangel

Originally Posted by babyangel /img/forum/go_quote.gif I agree with Benebaby. Actors and actresses play different roles. Makeup and costume is a huge part of any role. Should not have been that much of an issue.
Babyangel

yeah unless its done in a malicious way which clearly isn't the case here

Latest posts

Back