Any members have a degree in Philosophy?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My neighbours new boyfriend has a masters degree in philosophy. She has she invited me over for Thanksgiving dinner this coming weekend and I will meet him for the first time. I really do not know much about philosophy but maybe someone can enlighten me on the subject. Thanks!
smile.gif

I don't have a degree, but I have taken many courses. It's very complicated. What subject are you looking to learn about in philosophy...some important people/theories/anything?

Originally Posted by Solimar /img/forum/go_quote.gif I don't have a degree, but I have taken many courses. It's very complicated. What subject are you looking to learn about in philosophy...some important people/theories/anything? Someone told me one component is learning about human love ? Maybe I am wrong? It does sound interesting, in case the subject comes up in conversation at dinner. Sounds like there is many theories, people to learn about.

Yeah, there are a TON of people to learn about. But, if you know nothing about philosophy, you should just ask him. I'm sure he won't get all out philisophical on you, and I am sure you have heard of the basic people (i.e., Socrates, Aristotle, Mill, Kant, etc)?

Originally Posted by Solimar /img/forum/go_quote.gif Yeah, there are a TON of people to learn about. But, if you know nothing about philosophy, you should just ask him. I'm sure he won't get all out philisophical on you, and I am sure you have heard of the basic people (i.e., Socrates, Aristotle, Mill, Kant, etc)? Thanks Solimar! Yes I have heard of the basic people you mentioned. True, I could ask him, it would be interesting to learn.
smile.gif

It's a way for someone to explain their thoughts in as much complexion as possible. Often involves the very detailed explanation of concepts of life, existence, morals, etc.

I took a few classes in college and the one I remember best was the Philosophy of Science... The question "What is knowledge" was easy but after "When do you know that you know"? I was totally lost!!! Lol.

Too cerebral for me!! Good luck!!

Oh LOrd, I have had one Philosphy and was sure I would fail. It was so hard for me!! Made me think--I don'tl like that

Originally Posted by Karren_Hutton /img/forum/go_quote.gif I took a few classes in college and the one I remember best was the Philosophy of Science... The question "What is knowledge" was easy but after "When do you know that you know"? I was totally lost!!! Lol.
Too cerebral for me!! Good luck!!

So what did you end up saying/doing?

Originally Posted by Jdpaul88 /img/forum/go_quote.gif So what did you end up saying/doing? I can't even remember.... getting too old.. lol but I do remember studying different cases where someone in history would make a break through in science and then they would have to figure out why it happened.... what variables lead to the change.....

In Plato's Apology, Socrates said "I am the wisest man for I know one thing, and that is that I know nothing." This never fails when one has to admit that one doesn't know this or that (though scholars quarrel about the translation which supposedly means than one cannot know everything for sure).

One of my graduation subjects in High School was Philosophy and I adored Sartre, but the subject is so wide-spread that I wouldn't know anything to add now.

LOL!! You guys are funny! Shelley, it IS a complicated subject! Just act deep! LOL... Have you ever read the book "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance"?? That's always good for a deep conversation. I love that book actually!

Originally Posted by kaville /img/forum/go_quote.gif LOL!! You guys are funny! Shelley, it IS a complicated subject! Just act deep! LOL... Have you ever read the book "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance"?? That's always good for a deep conversation. I love that book actually! LOL! Okay I will act deep.
wink.gif
No I have never read that book but it sounds interesting. Next time I head to the library I will check it out.

I've taken a ton of Phil classes; my best advice is to go with your gut, listen to what the other person has to say, and tell them when you agree with them and when you don't. Most people don't listen to their opposition and spend the entire conversation running around in circles and end up with a "well, whatever, that's what I think" argument. Just remember...philosophy is about questioning and thinking. There is no wrong answer. Just keep your mind and your ears open.

Latest posts

Back