Anyone on the South Beach Diet?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by Angel Baby I'm thinking of starting it in July. My mom did it but couldn't get past the third day!! I think all these new diets are mini versions of Atkins. Personally I don't like anything that restrics carbs because I get bad breath and I feel really tired!!

My mom and sister are on it and it works for them. They are both doing it for different reasons - my mom wants to lose some weight and my sister just wants to eat healtheir. I think that the first few days was tough for them but now they really like it. They are on the third phase of it (I think) and they are sticking to it.

You mean ketosis? I'm prepared for that with my army of altoids
biggrin.gif
! I'll sacrifice having bad breath for two weeks in hopes to lose weight. I also don't think I'll have that much trouble with this because I'm not a carbs person. I'm personally not attached to bread or potatoes.

Marisol, how much weight did your mother and sister lose? How long were they on the plan? TIA!
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Angel Baby You mean ketosis? I'm prepared for that with my army of altoids
biggrin.gif
! I'll sacrifice having bad breath for two weeks in hopes to lose weight. I also don't think I'll have that much trouble with this because I'm not a carbs person. I'm personally not attached to bread or potatoes.
Marisol, how much weight did your mother and sister lose? How long were they on the plan? TIA!
smile.gif

They have been on it for about 6 weeks now (I think). Not sure how much weight they have lost but I have heard them say that their clothes feel looser. I will ask and let you know.

Can someone explain this diet to me?I have heard about it over and over but i dont know the details.They say this is better than atkins, i wanted to try this.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by nydoll23 Can someone explain this diet to me?I have heard about it over and over but i dont know the details.They say this is better than atkins, i wanted to try this.
smile.gif
It's not really supposed to be a fad diet, but a new way to eat healthy. Here's a little something from the SBD site:
hd_how_it_works.gif

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>
phase1.gif
</TD><TD>Following Phase 1 for two weeks kick-starts your weight loss. You'll eat normal-size portions of lean meat, fish, eggs, reduced-fat cheese, nonfat yogurt, nuts, and plenty of vegetables. Snacks and desserts are part of the plan, as well.</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>
phase2.gif
</TD><TD>Next, you'll move on to Phase 2, where you'll learn to reintroduce the right carbs, such as whole grains and most fruits. Some indulgences are allowed. You should continue to lose weight on Phase 2 until you reach your goal.</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>
phase3.gif
</TD><TD>Once you've reached your goal weight, you'll move to Phase 3 (the maintenance phase), where you'll continue to make good eating choices. The plan will feel less like a diet and more like a lifestyle.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Originally Posted by envymi It's not really supposed to be a fad diet, but a new way to eat healthy. Here's a little something from the SBD site:
hd_how_it_works.gif

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>
phase1.gif
</TD><TD>Following Phase 1 for two weeks kick-starts your weight loss. You'll eat normal-size portions of lean meat, fish, eggs, reduced-fat cheese, nonfat yogurt, nuts, and plenty of vegetables. Snacks and desserts are part of the plan, as well.</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>
phase2.gif
</TD><TD>Next, you'll move on to Phase 2, where you'll learn to reintroduce the right carbs, such as whole grains and most fruits. Some indulgences are allowed. You should continue to lose weight on Phase 2 until you reach your goal.</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>
phase3.gif
</TD><TD>Once you've reached your goal weight, you'll move to Phase 3 (the maintenance phase), where you'll continue to make good eating choices. The plan will feel less like a diet and more like a lifestyle.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Thanks,this sounds pretty reasonable enough.Actullay sounds like comon sence,i guess the hard part is sticking to it.

If you think about it most of these diets suggest you eat healthy foods and cut the crap out to begin with, which in reality even if you aren't on a diet, will help you lose weight anyway. I can't cut out carbs 100%, I'd turn into a she-devil or something, that's just torture. I remember when I gave up real Pepsi for Diet Pepsi and I thought that would be the end of me, but now I can't stand the taste of real Pepsi. And who can possibly eat so much protein and not worry about their cholesterol, not me. I think just a healthy way of life should work.

Good luck to all on Atkins, The Zone, South Beach and all the rest. Whatever works for you is all that matters.

personally, i think the best is to get a consultation from a dietian. my roomate got a trainer and a dietian on her quest to weight loss, and she lost 30lbs in one month
icon_eek.gif

So I am on day 3 of this diet. Last night was so bad I just cried. I know it doesn't make any sense but I purchased the book and the cookbook Sunday night and started this diet before I got them. I could find enough stuff online to figure the basics out before I got the book, which should be today. Anyway, I am not a cook and I HATE cooking! Like I mentioned it is only the third day and I am so sick of eggs and salad I could almost throw up even thinking about either of them. I swear going on a diet costs you more money. All these things you can eat you have to cook. I realize a lot of what ppl eat now comes from a box and that isn't great either but who has the time to cook all of this. I spend more time trying to figure out what the heck I can eat on this thing than before this diet. I am not a fan of vegetables either so having to really focus on eating these the first two weeks of this diet is killing me.

Two years ago I lost 20lbs doing exercise tapes and cutting back on my food intake. I ate everything but ate smaller portions. I gained 10lbs of it back. I need to lose 25lbs. I will NOT go back to my heaviest at 200lbs. However, I bought an elliptical machine January 2006 and have used it religiously and I have lost a very minimal amount of weight - a couple of pounds. My doc suggested this SBD and has been for a couple of years now.

Like I said, last night was absolutely horrible. I cried I was so hungry and I never know what to cook and I hate it besides. I know I cannot continually feel this way. I am getting very irritable and depressed because it seems so difficult to figure out what I can have and cook it each and every day. I feel like a failure either way - I can't eat this way forever and the second I decide to go off it and eat a normal meal I will feel like a failure. I am not satisfied at all. I am just afraid I can't get this weight off any other way.

Any advice would be so appreciated. Sorry this is so long. I am just so frustrated I could rip my hair out.

Hey Lorrine-I'm on SB too. I started a month or so ago. Don't ask me how much I've lost, I don't weight myself. I know from past experience that isn't good for me. I tend to over do the weighing and get really frustrated so I don't do it. I go by how my clothes fit. I can squeeze back into my jeans but I still have a ways to go. Anyway, I don't know if you've stumbled across it yet but I found the BEST (next to MUT) web site! It's called 3fatchicks.com If you go into their forum and scroll down to South Beach-they have most every diet you can think of in there-there are some great recipes! They are broken down by breakfast phase 1, breakfast phase 2, snacks phase1 and so on. Pay close attention to the ones that are stickies. I'm addicted to the Mock French Toast. There's White Chili, you can make a pot of that and get a few meals out of it and I think it's delicious! Also lots of people to answer your questions and offer support. I think it would help you a lot. It doesn't all have to be eggs! Make sure you look for the recipe for "peanut butter cup" OMG! I'm addicted to it too and you can have it for dessert on phase 1. Keep me posted on how you are doing! Hang in there, you can do it!!
rocknroll2.gif
icon_cheers.gif
hug.gif

I am really surprised you are feeling so bad on SBD. I'm on day 3 and feel fine. But I wasn't a big white bread, potato, rice, or pasta person before this. If you were, you are pretty much detoxing from this garbage and feeling crappy is normal. The SBD emphasizes three meals per days plus snacks plus dessert. Are you eating every 2-3 hours? You can eat beans/legumes in Phase 1 and they are recommended as they contain a lot of fibre, which will help keep you full longer. I'm curious what you ate before? If you had, say, chicken, veggies, and potatoes for dinner, you just cut out the potatoes. I did the Fat Flush, now that is a hard diet. This is really easy if you ask me. And make sure you are drinking a lot of water as you are increasing your fibre intake through all the veggies. If you don't you can feel crampy.

Originally Posted by Lorrine24 So I am on day 3 of this diet. Last night was so bad I just cried. I know it doesn't make any sense but I purchased the book and the cookbook Sunday night and started this diet before I got them. I could find enough stuff online to figure the basics out before I got the book, which should be today. Anyway, I am not a cook and I HATE cooking! Like I mentioned it is only the third day and I am so sick of eggs and salad I could almost throw up even thinking about either of them. I swear going on a diet costs you more money. All these things you can eat you have to cook. I realize a lot of what ppl eat now comes from a box and that isn't great either but who has the time to cook all of this. I spend more time trying to figure out what the heck I can eat on this thing than before this diet. I am not a fan of vegetables either so having to really focus on eating these the first two weeks of this diet is killing me.
Two years ago I lost 20lbs doing exercise tapes and cutting back on my food intake. I ate everything but ate smaller portions. I gained 10lbs of it back. I need to lose 25lbs. I will NOT go back to my heaviest at 200lbs. However, I bought an elliptical machine January 2006 and have used it religiously and I have lost a very minimal amount of weight - a couple of pounds. My doc suggested this SBD and has been for a couple of years now.

Like I said, last night was absolutely horrible. I cried I was so hungry and I never know what to cook and I hate it besides. I know I cannot continually feel this way. I am getting very irritable and depressed because it seems so difficult to figure out what I can have and cook it each and every day. I feel like a failure either way - I can't eat this way forever and the second I decide to go off it and eat a normal meal I will feel like a failure. I am not satisfied at all. I am just afraid I can't get this weight off any other way.

Any advice would be so appreciated. Sorry this is so long. I am just so frustrated I could rip my hair out.

Lorraine,I am kinda/sorta doing the Eat Right for Your Blood Type diet...so I am really no support...I just felt so bad for you crying and all and being so frustrated. My heart goes out to your, girl! Stay Cool ! Take it easy, etc.

This *lifestyle*-not diet-I'm attempting is also hard because I already thought I ate really healthy but kept feeling overwieght and bloated all the time. I also tried to become a vegetarian once;and according to this diet, that was a huge mistake for my blood type. Tell me about it;I used to sneak steaks and then cry b/c I honestly am ethically not at all cool with eating meat, but my body did not like it at all. Don't know about the South Beach, though....I find stick-to-it-ive-ness very hard anyway..I'm too Darn Frisky!!
icon_cheesygrin.gif
icon_twisted.gif

Just wanted to throw some mental support your way.

I also love Richard Simmons. I have no idea what that has to do with anything; but I know his motivation/love/inspiraiton/sense of humor has been a comfort to many.

My sis-in-law was on this diet to lose some pregnancy weight that she had gained. She lost 10 pounds in the 1st week!

Latest posts

Back