Anyone Tried Paula Dorf's Transformer?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey everyone! Been a bit since I posted (I am only 2 weeks away from delivering twins and am now on official bedrest!). Question: I recently bought Transformer by Paula Dorf and while I like the product, I was wondering if anyone else had a similar issue to mine AFTER using it.

I put a little drop or two in a small plastic container, dip my shadow liner brush in it, then choose my shadow color and dip the wet brush into the shadow to line my eyes. Works great. However, if I go to use the same shadow color again the next day, this time with a DRY liner brush for a softer look, the part of the shadow that was wet with the Transformer doesn't really "pick up" on the brush anymore. And you can tell the product may have changed the powder because it dries in the pan still looking wet.

Obviously, I don't want to use this product if its going to alter the pigment in my shadows. Any thoughts on this, or has someone had a similar experience?

Thanks.

Cass

It's a great product in that it makes your shadow/liner last forever, but it does seem to seal the surface of the shadow wherever you use it. The best thing is to do just what you did and use only a small area. I guess it's a cased of what makes it work also changes the product that touched it in the same way.

My mom just got this... not sure if she's tried it yet though - but what if you scrape off some of the shadow onto something else, BEFORE you wet it?? So that you're not using the shadow in the pan, and it won't affect the rest of the e/s ?
icon_wink.gif

yeah, it does that. You just have to use the transformer on an outside corner, and only use it on that one spot. You can tap the dry part off with your fingernail, but then you have a chip in your eye shadow.

When I use any kind of sealer with my shadows, I usually take a palette knife or even the end of a brush or something to scrape off some powder. Then I mix the powder I scraped off with the sealer. That way you don't get the hard casing on your whole shadow.

Thanks everyone! Sounds like if I want to keep using this, this little problem is something I will have to deal with! Good to know I'm not the only one it happened to though!

Do many of use use wet shadow (even with just water) as liner instead of pencil?

Cass

Originally Posted by CassBH Thanks everyone! Sounds like if I want to keep using this, this little problem is something I will have to deal with! Good to know I'm not the only one it happened to though!

Do many of use use wet shadow (even with just water) as liner instead of pencil?

Cass

I rarely use pencil when I work on other people...but I do use it on myself for black or brown. Even then, I always go over liner with powder(wet or dry)

Thanks for the replies, ladies! By the way, since I am fairly new to this forum, are most of you working makeup artists, or is there also a mix of others who just LOVE makeup in general?

Who are the makeup artists in the group?

Cass

Originally Posted by envymi When I use any kind of sealer with my shadows, I usually take a palette knife or even the end of a brush or something to scrape off some powder. Then I mix the powder I scraped off with the sealer. That way you don't get the hard casing on your whole shadow. That is such a great idea!!! Hope you don't mind if I borrow it!

I used to do hair mostly - but that also involved doing makeup @ the salon... so while I learned tips in Cosmetology... I'm mostly here b/c I just love it!
wink.gif

Cool! Happy to be part of such a knowledgeable group. I am an independent makeup artist in the Boston area, but have had to put all weddings, photo shoots and projects on hold until October, as I am having twins in a few weeks. The good thing is, staying in touch with all you lovely ladies will keep me in the "Makeup Mindset" even while I am on maternity leave
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Looking forward to getting to know you all better. Maybe I'll get some time soon to post a picture and do some reviews, etc, so my posts look a little more interesting.

Cass

Does anyone know of any other transformers that are available in Drugstores? Thanks, Pammie

Originally Posted by CassBH Hey everyone! Been a bit since I posted (I am only 2 weeks away from delivering twins and am now on official bedrest!). Question: I recently bought Transformer by Paula Dorf and while I like the product, I was wondering if anyone else had a similar issue to mine AFTER using it.
I put a little drop or two in a small plastic container, dip my shadow liner brush in it, then choose my shadow color and dip the wet brush into the shadow to line my eyes. Works great. However, if I go to use the same shadow color again the next day, this time with a DRY liner brush for a softer look, the part of the shadow that was wet with the Transformer doesn't really "pick up" on the brush anymore. And you can tell the product may have changed the powder because it dries in the pan still looking wet.

Obviously, I don't want to use this product if its going to alter the pigment in my shadows. Any thoughts on this, or has someone had a similar experience?

Thanks.

Cass

Trish, I think I have seen you on Makeup Alley as well, I recognize the eye shots from another post, and now I am almost sure of it!

Cool to see you here too...

In answer to the wet eyeshadow q, I almost always use them wet, it doesn't let them look so "powdery" on the eye, also I get a better color. I can make a drugstore brand look pretty good when it is wet...

Originally Posted by CassBH Thanks for the replies, ladies! By the way, since I am fairly new to this forum, are most of you working makeup artists, or is there also a mix of others who just LOVE makeup in general?
Who are the makeup artists in the group?

Cass

I'm an independent MUA, don't work for any cosmetics company, but I mainly do film and video makeup here in LA...in fact I just worked on 2 music videos this last week and I'm off this weekend to do a big photo layout for a mag. YAY! Finally I get to do more mainstream makeup!!!

Hey everyone! Thanks for all the great responses to my questions! I am glad I found a great bunch of people to talk with about makeup,etc.

I will be out of commission for a bit as they moved our delivery date of our twins up to this Friday! We are so excited!
claps.gif

I will be back posting soon enough and anxious to get back to the makeup work world in a few months.

Talk to everyone soon,

Cass

Latest posts

Back