April 2012 No-Buy Support

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by ladygrey /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If he ends up there, hopefully I would be going to visit, so a meet-up is still a definite possibility! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Oh, and don't worry. Pretty soon, maybe later today or something, I'll post pictures of all the crap that I have!
Yay!!!

I've recently decided I want to buy a condo of my own because I'm tired of renting. My credit isn't bad by any means (I've never made a late payment on ANYTHING) but I have a lot of debt that I need to get rid of. I just cut up my macy's, nordstrom, and gap cards, and one of my visas. I don't think I can get approved for a mortgage until I'm below 30% utilization on all credit cards because of my additional student loan debt, so from this point forward: I'm not spending anything I don't have in my bank account. My macy's and gap cards are paid off, and my nordstrom card has less than 100 dollars on it, so I figured those were the most tempting to spend on. I don't want accounts closed no me for not using them either though. 

I guess what I'm getting at is if I quit buying beauty products, my cards will be paid off in no time. 

I'm going to try giving up going out EVERY weekend too. I can stay at home and watch tv and it can be entertaining too, and since I pay for cable...I might as well use it.

This brought to you by me checking my account on creditkarma.com and seeing that my credit score went DOWN a lot in the last month. 

The ULTA sale/sample bag is the first time I've been "OOOH, mama want!" in a while, but I cannot justify it. Ditto the Target Beauty Bag (which they've finally posted qualifiers for)

My "no-buy" rules are this: Subs don't count, since they're already subbed (but joining a new one is a fail). Items that are free after coupon do not count--not just a good bargain, but actually free. This only applies to beauty items(hair, skin, makeup, nails) but it does include organizers and tools. Services are not counted (haircut, eyebrow waxing, manicure, pedicure) but should not exceed one per month.

Oh, and no beauty books or magazines, either. Forgot that part!

And that soda deal is callin' my name right now. Thankfully, them's groceries, and even I would never put groceries into a no-buy haha

Oh, it is so, soooo tempting. It really is an awesome bag, and I have a cart filled with exactly $60.53 of awesome stuff. 

Must. Resist. I just have to keep telling myself there will be more awesome deals in the future. 

Originally Posted by calexxia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The ULTA sale/sample bag is the first time I've been "OOOH, mama want!" in a while, but I cannot justify it. Ditto the Target Beauty Bag (which they've finally posted qualifiers for)

My "no-buy" rules are this: Subs don't count, since they're already subbed (but joining a new one is a fail). Items that are free after coupon do not count--not just a good bargain, but actually free. This only applies to beauty items(hair, skin, makeup, nails) but it does include organizers and tools. Services are not counted (haircut, eyebrow waxing, manicure, pedicure) but should not exceed one per month.

Oh, and no beauty books or magazines, either. Forgot that part!

And that soda deal is callin' my name right now. Thankfully, them's groceries, and even I would never put groceries into a no-buy haha

Originally Posted by Playedinloops /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I resisted temptation at wal-greens and cvs on all cosmetics. I however did not resist the 4 for $10 on coke products at CVS. Crazy good price for anyone who drinks soda.

I miss soda soooooooooooo much! 
icon_cry.gif

went to riteaid today to pick up a script and I browsed the whole cosmetic and didnt find one thing that i really wanted. think i've hit my cap on makeup things. nothing interests me now.

Originally Posted by Playedinloops /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've recently decided I want to buy a condo of my own because I'm tired of renting. My credit isn't bad by any means (I've never made a late payment on ANYTHING) but I have a lot of debt that I need to get rid of. I just cut up my macy's, nordstrom, and gap cards, and one of my visas. I don't think I can get approved for a mortgage until I'm below 30% utilization on all credit cards because of my additional student loan debt, so from this point forward: I'm not spending anything I don't have in my bank account. My macy's and gap cards are paid off, and my nordstrom card has less than 100 dollars on it, so I figured those were the most tempting to spend on. I don't want accounts closed no me for not using them either though. 

I guess what I'm getting at is if I quit buying beauty products, my cards will be paid off in no time. 

I'm going to try giving up going out EVERY weekend too. I can stay at home and watch tv and it can be entertaining too, and since I pay for cable...I might as well use it.

This brought to you by me checking my account on creditkarma.com and seeing that my credit score went DOWN a lot in the last month. 
having just gone through the whole house buying excitement (and let down), let me pass on to you what I was told by the banks we talked to:

You want no more then 3 - 5 credit cards in your name

You want all of them to have some activity with no late payments. 

You want to carry no more than 25% of the total balance from month to month

Paying the cards off to a zero balance every month doesn't help that much but it does save you money on interest. (but if you are keeping it to the 25% rule, the interest amount is minimal)

Do not close ANYTHING before you purchase a house, it dings on your report and you don't want any reason for a bank to decline.

Hope this helps!

Quote: Originally Posted by ladygrey /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Oh, it is so, soooo tempting. It really is an awesome bag, and I have a cart filled with exactly $60.53 of awesome stuff. 

Must. Resist. I just have to keep telling myself there will be more awesome deals in the future. 

Delete! Delete!Delete!Delete!

Everything's still in the cart, but it can wait for another day...such as the day I'm done with my project pan/no buy! There are always good sales going on. Can't participate in every single one of 'em. I would much rather wait until a time when I actually need something and I have the money for it. Being wasteful and feeling guilty isn't worth it!

Originally Posted by calexxia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

There will be other, better deals.....go empty the cart, hon.
     Quote:

Originally Posted by Pancua /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Delete! Delete!Delete!Delete!

I just looked at this sample bag you were all talking about and omg it's amazing.

So, I ordered it lol. BUT I DIDN'T BREAK MY NO BUY! 

They don't sell the large sizes of my shampoo and conditioner in my ulta store but they have them online and they are a better deal than the size I've been buying, so I ordered those since I need them anyway. Plus shipping was free, so why NOT get a high value sample bag along with it? Yes its more stuff to store, but it didn't cost me any extra money.

Some happy news: my 'in the mail list' that I use to keep track of all the online purchases I've made is FINALLY empty! No more orders have been placed, so nothin' else is coming. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Some happy news: my 'in the mail list' that I use to keep track of all the online purchases I've made is FINALLY empty! No more orders have been placed, so nothin' else is coming. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
No subs?

having just gone through the whole house buying excitement (and let down), let me pass on to you what I was told by the banks we talked to:

You want no more then 3 - 5 credit cards in your name

You want all of them to have some activity with no late payments. 

You want to carry no more than 25% of the total balance from month to month

Paying the cards off to a zero balance every month doesn't help that much but it does save you money on interest. (but if you are keeping it to the 25% rule, the interest amount is minimal)

Do not close ANYTHING before you purchase a house, it dings on your report and you don't want any reason for a bank to decline.

Hope this helps!

Thanks!! I already have more credit cards than that, but I won't close any. All but 2 are below 25%, AND I've never had a late payment of any kind. I'm only 24, and my income isn't ridiculous, but I'm just looking to buy a 1 bed/1ba condo in the cheaper/developing neighborhoods of DC. 

I'm not counting subs in my no-buy, but I currently don't have any of those in the mail either, and I shouldn't for another week or two. Right now I'm subscribed to Birchbox, MyGlam, and Sindulge. It seems like others have been having so many problems with Sindulge, so I'll probably cancel that this week once I inquire about why my box hasn't shipped yet. MyGlam will probably get dropped after Glossybox opens up subscriptions to everyone. 

Right now subs aren't included, but I think I should add them in, especially since they really can add up super fast, and the main point of my no-buy is to cut back on the amount of money I spend. 

No subs?

So the Ulta site is bugging out for some reason, and they tried to charge my CC 3 times, they are just preauthorizations so they will disappear with no charge but its kind of annoying. The lady on the phone said there aren't any actual orders placed. Arghhhh. Guess no sample set for me, and no big conditioner and shampoo either lol.

I'm not counting subs in my no-buy, but I currently don't have any of those in the mail either, and I shouldn't for another week or two. Right now I'm subscribed to Birchbox, MyGlam, and Sindulge. It seems like others have been having so many problems with Sindulge, so I'll probably cancel that this week once I inquire about why my box hasn't shipped yet. MyGlam will probably get dropped after Glossybox opens up subscriptions to everyone. 

Right now subs aren't included, but I think I should add them in, especially since they really can add up super fast, and the main point of my no-buy is to cut back on the amount of money I spend. 
Yup, I'm working on canceling all my subs. Sadly canceled sample society this morning because 15 is just too high. Sindulge is getting canceled once my box ships...if it ships, if not, I'm canceling on the 10th regardless because I don't want to be charged again. Myglam is getting canceled too. That leaves 2 beauty army subs (one will get canceled...again lol) and birchbox, which is annual. I really don't even need the two, but I can't decide between bb and ba. (BB is annual though, so I don't really have a choice if I decide to cut back to 1 with that.)

gotchas, my subs are not on my no buy either. I've dropped all by Sample Society, Birchbox and Beauty Army, all of which I am pretty happy with though I've only had SS for a month so we shall see. I may end up dumping them since I get most of what I use most often out of BB and BA.

I can agree with you on that! Nothing interests me!! Unless I go into an ULTA then I manage to find things lol

Originally Posted by Isabelsjewely /img/forum/go_quote.gif

went to riteaid today to pick up a script and I browsed the whole cosmetic and didnt find one thing that i really wanted. think i've hit my cap on makeup things. nothing interests me now.

Back