Are you a makeup snob?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i only use revlon nail polish and prefer max factor for facial makeup,. that's not generic nor snobby makeup as far as i would say...i like the price range right in the middle. you get what you pay for but why break the bank over makeup?!

I wouldn't consider myself a snob at all. The majority of my makeup is of the drugstore variety. I do want to see what all the hype is about with the higher end brands though....maybe I'll pick out something from mac for christmas this year....*crosses fingers*

My attitude is if I like it I'll buy it. I'm not a complete snob but there are two brands I refuse to buy - MAC because it's overpriced with that 40% markup towards non-pros and is overhyped, and Lancome. I refuse to buy any Lancome products. Granted L'Oreal is owned by Lancome but Lancome specifically I refuse to buy.

I own several higher end items......yes, but I'm on a really big kick right now finding the cheaper products that are just as good or even better for a fraction of the price.  Saving money on something I love is a high like no other 
cloud9.gif

Definately not. I'm more likely to buy the higher-end brands I know and trust (YSL, LM, BB, Chanel or NARS) sight unseen, but I will definately buy drugstore products (some of which are HGs) if they've got a good buzz going round.

I would say that now i am, after recently having a bad experience with a cheap non name brand makeup (elf cosmetics) now I'm only sticking with only good name brand items, and now mostly only mid to high end. I'll probably still buy drugstore makeup brands such as cover girl, max factor and other well known brands from time to time since they have a good name behind them. I wanted to try a coastal scents palette but now after having such a bad experience with cheap makeup I've moved on from wanting anything from them. Now if it isn't a good brand name i won't be buying it. I'd rather put my money towards a product i can trust as well as safely use and if that means paying a lot of money for one item than so be it. I guess if that makes me a makeup snob than I'm happy to be one. Ulta and Sephora will be getting a lot more business from me from now on.

Lancome is owned by L'oreal. L'oreal International also owns Ralph Lauren, YSL, Giorgio Armani, Vichy, La Roche, Biotherm, Shu Uemura and a bunch more.  I don't buy MAC either - overhyped, over rated and over priced!

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My attitude is if I like it I'll buy it. I'm not a complete snob but there are two brands I refuse to buy - MAC because it's overpriced with that 40% markup towards non-pros and is overhyped, and Lancome. I refuse to buy any Lancome products. Granted L'Oreal is owned by Lancome but Lancome specifically I refuse to buy.

I use to only use drugstore brands until I started working for Ulta in where I get a lot of high end gratis , so now I  use both

I use both.  I actually started off on the opposite side.  I was a drugstore snob.  I used to be head of the beauty department at Walgreens YEARS ago and just could not justify spending 20+ bucks on 1 item when the items I used were fine.  This was back when all I wore was eyeliner, mascara and foundation.  Now that I'm REALLY getting into makeup I can understand why I would spend that much on 1 item.  I still use more drugstore over high end but there are some high end items I will continue to use.

No way, I don't have the $$$ to keep up with snobby ways. xD

As long as it's not too expensive and works well, there's no problem. I don't have the money to splurge on high-end products so low-end can also be really great.

I use both, possibly leaning a little towards the high ends, maybe because there's been a few disappointments in the drug store products i've bought... also that our revlon, loreals etc here in australia arn't all that cheap at all... so i'd spend an extra $10 or so and get something from a high end brand. although! if the quality is there i wouldn't care if it's high end or low end :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I'm more of a drugstore snob because all those great HE stuff are actually a lot more expensive where I live. I would use HE stuff if it was more easily accessible or cheaper by a bit but yea, expensive here.. probably even double the price even after being converted to NZD. It's also really hard to get them... if they were on Cherry Culture or something, heck, sure, why not? Unfortunately this is not the case.

I'm a brand snob in a way, I tend to stick by a select few brands as my 'favorites'. But that includes both HE and drugstore. As long as the quality is great the brand doesn't matter in the slightest to me. Though I will check out Sephora before I run to the drugstore. For that one Sephora purchase a month (or two months) there's like three teeny drugstore hauls.

Originally Posted by mlcashio /img/forum/go_quote.gif

why do you refuse to buy lancome?
I have my reasons but will say that I don't get why people would pay $30+ on products that are a chalky mess. ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Back