Armstrong's final ride sparks emotions

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
050724_tdf_main_hmed1015a.widec.jpg

Family, fans, other cancer survivors moved by cyclist's tale The Associated Press

Updated: 7:44 p.m. ET July 24, 2005

PARIS - Sheryl Crow shed a tear. Cancer survivors praised his inspirational tale. Rivals and fans fondly bade farewell to a cycling great.

On the day of his last ride in the Tour de France, Lance Armstrong absorbed all of the accolades with a calm smile.

The seven-time champion began the final stage in humble fashion, posing for photographs in front of a chalkboard scribbled with “merci et au revoir†— thanks and goodbye.

Then, he was off. The Discovery Channel team embarked on one last leg with their leader, honoring Armstrong’s string of titles with seven yellow stars on their uniforms.

Fellow riders signed a Tour roadbook for him, and assistants stuffed coolers full of champagne into the team car.

When Armstrong climbed the podium he knows so well with his three children by his side, rock star girlfriend Crow and even some Tour hostesses became a bit misty eyed.

“To see it coming to a close for me — and I’m sure for a lot of other people — it’s a very emotional experience,†Crow said from the VIP stands after Armstrong’s son, Luke, stuffed a potato chip into her mouth.

After the podium ceremony, a fidgety Luke said: “Daddy, can we go home and play?â€

Loudspeakers blared some of Crow’s hits as Armstrong rode his last victory lap along the Champs-Elysées, waving to her and thousands of spectators. Americans flooded the famed Paris avenue for the last stage — some camping out overnight — sensing that Armstrong’s last ride was an event not to be missed.

“Congratulations Lance, We’ll miss you!†read one banner.

“Usually, Americans don’t pay attention to anything that doesn’t happen on our soil,†said University of Michigan student Kyle Jewett on the Champs-Elysées. “But because of Lance we’re really interested in this bike race that happens in France — of all places.â€

Jane Wazney, a 28-year-old housewife from Phoenix, said she hoped a European — even a Frenchman — would win the Tour next year in Armstrong’s absence, and expects U.S. interest to fade.

“Realistically, I think that interest in America would definitely wane, if an American doesn’t pick up after Lance. Cycling is not football,†she said.

Cancer survivors drew on Armstrong’s inspiration, after he returned from a near-death bout of testicular cancer that spread to his lungs and brain in 1996.

“Lance Armstrong has been an inspiration to me,†said Nigel Clifton, 53, who also survived testicular cancer. “I came especially from Britain to support him. I wanted to see him on his bike.â€

Bob Villinger, a program director at the U.S. National Cancer Institute, said Armstrong raised awareness about both cancer and the sport back home.

“We’ve been saving to come see the Tour for about four years, and when Lance announced his retirement, we knew it was now or never,†said Villinger, wearing a Stars & Stripes jersey.

Before the last stage in Corbeil-Essonnes, cancer survivor Patricia Verlhac-Vignard, 34, stood near the team bus holding a giant pastel painting she drew for Armstrong. The artwork depicts him clenching a fist after winning a time-trial in 2003.

“I wanted to thank him for helping me survive,†said the breast cancer survivor. “I was born the same year as he was and my daughter has the same birthday as he does. ... It was a sign.â€

© 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

<script>function readCookie(ck){var anyCookies=document.cookie;var pos=anyCookies.indexOf(ck.toUpperCase()+"=");var value="";if(pos != -1){var start=pos + ck.length + 1;var end=anyCookies.indexOf(";",start);if(end == -1){end=anyCookies.length;}value=anyCookies.substri ng(start,end);value=unescape(value);}return value;}</script> <!-- SiteCatalyst code version: G.9. Copyright 1997-2004 Omniture, Inc. More info available at http://www.omniture.com --><script language="JavaScript"><!-- var s_p1r=readCookie("P1") var s_p1=(s_p1r+"|||||||||||").split("|"); var s_p2r=readCookie("P2") var s_p2z=(s_p2r.length>8&&s_p2r.substring(0,4)=="pi6= ")?s_p2r.substring(4,9):"" var s_pageName="Story|Sports|Tour de Fr|8691389|Armstrong's final ride sparks emotions" var s_channel="Sports" var s_prop1="Armstrong's final ride sparks emotions" var s_prop2="Family, fans, other cancer survivors moved by cyclist's tale" var s_prop3="" var s_prop4="Sports" var s_prop5="Tour de France" var s_prop6="" var s_prop7="handheld" var s_prop8=(s_p1r!="")?"Y":"N" var s_prop9=s_p2z var s_prop10=readCookie("CP") var s_prop11=s_p1[6] var s_prop12=s_p1[2] var s_prop13=s_p1[5] var s_prop14=s_p1[11] var s_campaign="" var s_zip=s_p2z var s_account="msnbcom" var s_visitorSampling="20" //--></script><script language="JavaScript" src="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/js/s_code_remote.js"></script>http://msnbcom.112.2o7.net/b/ss/msnb...y%3B&%5BAQE%5D<!-- End SiteCatalyst code version: G.9. -->

© 2005 MSNBC.com

<script>var url=location.href;var i=url.indexOf('/did/') + 1;if(i==0){i=url.indexOf('/print/1/') + 1;}if(i==0){i=url.indexOf('&print=1');}if(i>0){url = url.substring(0,i);document.write('URL: '+url+'

');if(window.print){window.print()}else{alert('To print his page press Ctrl-P on your keyboard nor choose print from your browser or device after clicking OK');}}</script> URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8691389/

050724_lance_inspiration_vmed2p.widec.jpg
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8691389/

I was in Paris this weekend to watch the Tour, I've been an Armstrong-fan for a while now, so I just had to see his last race. It was a great experience!

I'm new here btw, I'm Eva from Belgium, so Paris wasn't that far to visit for me
smile.gif

Hi Eva...Welcome to MuT - I'm Karen from New York, nice to have you among us !
icon_smile.gif

Originally Posted by Eva121 I was in Paris this weekend to watch the Tour, I've been an Armstrong-fan for a while now, so I just had to see his last race. It was a great experience!I'm new here btw, I'm Eva from Belgium, so Paris wasn't that far to visit for me
smile.gif

That is so sad. I didn't realize that his cancer had spread to his brain and lungs at the time. What a story of encouragement! By the way, his daughter is so adorable!

Originally Posted by K*O* Hi Eva...Welcome to MuT - I'm Karen from New York, nice to have you among us !
icon_smile.gif
Quote:
Hi Eva, welcome to MuT! That is really awesome that you got to see him in his last race! I'm Charmaine from Massachusetts, by the way, nice to meet you! thx! it was very cool, I thought I was in the US instead of France, Americans everywhere
smile.gif

Hi Eva! Welcome to Mut! I'm Liz from California.

Wow, that must have been a great experience! I watched it on tv and was amazed at all of the people there.

Latest posts

Back