B.C. wedding goes ahead despite deaths of 6 relatives

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A grieving family from Abbotsford, B.C., went ahead with a wedding Sunday, two days after six of the bride's relatives were killed when a truck plowed through a traditional Indian wedding procession.

'We were just a little bit far away from the house and the man just gets the car and just zooms in top speed and crashes everybody.'—Yuvraj Boparai, 9

The victims were in a group of 30 people, mostly from the bride's family, who were marching down a dimly lit rural road just before 11 p.m. on Friday. The procession was hit from behind by a pickup truck, killing six and sending 17 others to hospital.

Abbotsford police said the road was dry at the time of the accident and have ruled out drugs or alcohol as causes. But Sgt. Amar Kingra said investigators are far from finished.

"We're looking into all of that and that's the responsibility of our detective section," Kingra said. "They're interviewing tens and tens of people. There could be a hundred people interviewed by the time we're done."

The CBC's Bob Nixon reported that tests are being conducted on the vehicle and police are investigating whether the driver, 71, may have fallen asleep at the wheel.

On Sunday, the family was trying to come to grips with the accident. Yuvraj Boparai, 9, one of the survivors, said his 12-year-old cousin was among those killed.

"We were just a little bit far away from the house and the man just gets the car and just zooms in top speed and crashes everybody," Yuvraj said.

The dead include three males and three females, whose ages ranged from the pre-teen to the 50s. There are reports that two of the dead were from B.C., two from Toronto and two from California, but police have not publicly confirmed it nor have they released the victims' names.

The injured included two infants, according to police.

The wedding took place in nearby Mission. Between 200 and 300 relatives gathered for the event from across British Columbia, Ontario, California and the United Kingdom, down from the expected 500 guests, Nixon said.

Another blow to Indo-Canadian community

Abbotsford Coun. Moe Gill, who knew one of the victims, said the roadside incident was another blow to the city's Indo-Canadian community, which was sent reeling in March when three Indo-Canadian farm workers were killed in a van crash on Highway One in Abbotsford.

"Well, this is shocking, you know, because we just getting over the tragedy we had a little while ago on the freeway," Gill said.

He said the latest tragedy will affect a lot of people because so many Indo-Canadians in Abbotsford either work with or are related to each other.

SOURCE

Im not sure if id be able to go ahead while 6 of my family members lay dead. Idk but its something that you dont know until it happens (hoping it never does).

My mother was married 1 day after she miscarried my sister.

I don't know if I could handle it.

oh my god thats terrible...i dont think id be able to do it and i dont want to know

Well, in some sects of the Hindu community, it is inauspicious to call off/cancel a wedding once the date is set. In most cases though, the festivities are cut down and the wedding is solemnised in a very simple way. My uncle (dad's older brother) dies just four days before my wedding (my first one) and we went ahead with it anyway. Things were kept very simple. Maybe thats why they didnt call off the wedding..

Originally Posted by nics1972 /img/forum/go_quote.gif Well, in some sects of the Hindu community, it is inauspicious to call off/cancel a wedding once the date is set. In most cases though, the festivities are cut down and the wedding is solemnised in a very simple way. My uncle (dad's older brother) dies just four days before my wedding (my first one) and we went ahead with it anyway. Things were kept very simple. Maybe thats why they didnt call off the wedding.. Hmm, thanks for that tidbit. I wouldn't have known to think about it had I not been told. That's very heartbreaking, nonetheless.

Gosh, that's such a terrible tragedy
frown.gif

That's very sad news about the family, I wouldn't be able to have a wedding after that, maybe just a civil service if we really wanted to be married, but I understand tradition.

On another note, that article was horribly written! Geez they have quotes in there twice, someone needs to go back to journalism school!

Back