Baby holding his breath!!!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
i just came back from the store and as i was waiting in line to pay and this baby that couldnt have been more than 1 1/2 years old is taken a bag of nuts away from him and he literally starts holding his breath!!!! and the mom rushes back to give him the nuts, and he's still holding his breath!!! and now she's almost punching him and shaking him like "here, here are the nuts!!!" and she's like "joshua, joshua!!" it was the craziest and scariest thing i have ever seen, i have heard of toddlers and younger children doing this but this was a baby!!! oh my gosh i dont know what the heck i would do if my kids did that, i seriously prefer a full on screaming tantrum than that!!

He only does what his mother lets him get away with. I'd have let him hold his breath. He WOULD have eventually taken a breath even if he didn't want to. I've never thought about a child that young using tactics like that. He has put 2+2 together somehow and knows there is a payoff for his behavior.

but my thought is, "where the heck did he see this, or learn this?" like he literally was pouting and holding his breath! it was funny but crazy and scary at the same time, i'm still in shock actually cuz like i said this was a BABY!

I agree the age is way too young to be pulling stuff like that but maybe he accidentally (that sounds dumb, I know) did it one time and got his "reward" and thought "hey that worked". I don't know. What is more shocking is that a mother let her baby manipulate her like that. I think I would have probably given in if he was screaming. That is so embarrasing when you are in public, but if he's quietly holding his breath...let him keep on.

disclaimer: I'm in a foul and crappy mood and if I weren't I might have been able to word that so it doesn't sound like I'm a total b****

Let him hold his breath--even if he acts like he is going to pass out he will automatically start breathing on his own. Children test there parents all the time--looks like this child won.

Originally Posted by BeneBaby /img/forum/go_quote.gif I woulda let him pass out. Hahaha...I can't stand push-over parents. Totally Agree. My sister is a push-over. She has a little girl, and that's her princess. But she throws these tantrums, I'm like w/e after a while after you let her do it she will figure out it's not working. Oh well.

That's insane! I do agree with Amanda on the level of the mom seeming like a push-over. I doubt the kid would actually let himself pass out, but then again, you never know with kids!

Our daughter tried that a couple times.. A small amount of water thrown in her face stopped that quickly and for ever!! I can still remember the shock on her face... Like Ok... Don't want to do that ever again!! Lol

We read it somewhere... And it doesn't take much water either.. Small bathroom dixie cup half full!! Wish I had had my camera.. Was the. Wide eyed deer in the head lights look followed my a big breath!! Lol

Originally Posted by Karren_Hutton /img/forum/go_quote.gif We read it somewhere... And it doesn't take much water either.. Small bathroom dixie cup half full!! Wish I had had my camera.. Was the. Wide eyed deer in the head lights look followed my a big breath!! Lol that's hilarious!!! had i htought or known about that i probably would have told the mom to try that!!!

i would freak out, that is scary. one of my friend's little girl did that when she was a baby, she would get so upset and cry and just hold her breath.

LOL. that is EXACTLY what my nephew does. and i was babysiting him at that time.. he was like, ' I WANT TO WATCH CARTOONS' and im like no dear... you have to finish this food now!

so he held his breath. all i did was sit in front of him with the food.. he held it till he was almost red in the face so i was like BOO! haha.. that got him breathing!

never did that again
smile.gif

My grandma babysat for a kid who did that, and his mom said to gently poke him with a pin or needle.

Originally Posted by Solimar /img/forum/go_quote.gif My grandma babysat for a kid who did that, and his mom said to gently poke him with a pin or needle. oh, sorry that just sounds a little funny.

Sounds like the Mom was worried for the baby's life maybe shes a new mother

New mothers learn new stuff about parenting everyday

Sounds like that baby has his mama whipped. If that was one of my kids they would have had two choices breath or pass out! pick one. lol!!! That type of behaviour is going to get him in trouble later on. And his mom better watch out cuz if she thinks it tough for her now wait till he get big. Wouldnt want to be her.

Originally Posted by Solimar /img/forum/go_quote.gif My grandma babysat for a kid who did that, and his mom said to gently poke him with a pin or needle. That totally made me laugh.

Latest posts

Back