Baking in a gas oven?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, first of all I almost never bake (though I do like cooking meals) so any suggestions are welcome!

The other night I tried baking brownies from a mix in our gas oven. I followed all the directions, but the outer inch or so of the whole pan was super hard and crunchy, even though the middle was soft like it was supposed to be.
icon_evil.gif
I never had this happen in my old apartment with an electric stove -- I am assuming it has something to do with how the walls heat up in a gas oven instead of heating coils. I also may not have preheated it enough -- there is no light to tell me when it's reached the correct temperature.

So does anyone have any suggestions for baking in a gas oven?

It might not be heating properly. We recently got a new second-hand oven, it heats up unevenly and very very slowly. Sometimes it is ok, but other times we let it preheat for an extra long time. We think that something in there, the gas regulator part, is off. If your oven is old it might need some repairs. My boyfriend uses the oven far more than I do, and he seems to be just coping with it rather than try to mess with it.

Back