Base & Wash

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What is the difference between a base and a wash in talking about eye shadows? Is the base just on the lid and a wash all over the eye?

Please explain!

TIA
icon_cheesygrin.gif

I thought a base was a product that keeps your eyeshadow from creasing (like I use foundation and loose powder; some people buy a specific product for it), while a wash is just applying a light or neutral eyeshadow all over the lid (and maybe up to the browbone, not sure exactly), then you add your other eyeshadows on top
smile.gif

Originally Posted by girl_geek I thought a base was a product that keeps your eyeshadow from creasing (like I use foundation and loose powder; some people buy a specific product for it), while a wash is just applying a light or neutral eyeshadow all over the lid (and maybe up to the browbone, not sure exactly), then you add your other eyeshadows on top
smile.gif
Yea, that's how I describe it girlgeek!
Base = primer (something to prep the skin)

Wash = an application technique (usually sweeping color from lashline to browbone)

Originally Posted by Trisha In Stila terms, a base is usually a matte light colour all over the eyelid area, used to neutralize any discolouration. A wash would just be the colour you use all over the eye to actually add some colour! x This is how i would describe it too, and it's what we were taught in college.

That's how I knew it too
icon_smile.gif

Originally Posted by Joyeuux Yea, that's how I describe it girlgeek!
Base = primer (something to prep the skin)

Wash = an application technique (usually sweeping color from lashline to browbone)

Originally Posted by Trisha In Stila terms, a base is usually a matte light colour all over the eyelid area, used to neutralize any discolouration. A wash would just be the colour you use all over the eye to actually add some colour! x Same thing I was taught in school.
icon_smile.gif

Originally Posted by Trisha In Stila terms, a base is usually a matte light colour all over the eyelid area, used to neutralize any discolouration. A wash would just be the colour you use all over the eye to actually add some colour! x so what are things like CCB's, paints, and shadesticks?are those bases or something else?

Latest posts

Back