Basic Skin Types

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Basic Skin Types

<!-- End: contenthead -->by Dr. Barbara Reed

<!-- End: Related Links --><!-- V/5 generated DART tag v2.1 --><!-- sstype=other --><!--DART params(5|4tcq|9mdp|/v_beauty/skinbody/facecare:260481)--><!-- Template Id = 770 Template Name = Banner Creative (Flash with OPAQUE VALUE) --><!-- Copyright 2002 DoubleClick Inc., All rights reserved. --><NOEMBED></NOEMBED><NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT><NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT><!-- End DART Tag -->

<!-- End: advert -->

<!-- End: advertWrapper --><!-- Article Content -->What are the basic skin types and how are they determined?

The types of skin are normal, oily, dry and combination. They are determined according to the degree of oiliness or dryness. Generally, skin type correlates with pore size. To determine your own skin type, wash your face and wait 30 minutes. Then put a single piece of tissue paper against each area of your face: forehead, nose, chin, cheeks. Your oily areas will leave oil on the tissue paper.

Normal skin has an equal balance of water and oil, making it naturally well moisturized. The pores are medium-sized. When you pull the skin away from the bony structure, it springs back to normal position. Lines and wrinkles are appropriate for age.

Oily skin has a coarse texture. Usually oily areas tend to shine. Oily skin results from overactive oil glands; the oil helps retain dead skin cells in the hair follicles. Pores tend to be larger. The dead skin cells may darken with exposure to the air, forming blackheads. Often, individuals with oily skin have a tendency to develop

acnein their teen and middle years, and overgrown oil glands, or sebaceous hyperplasia, in the middle and late years.

Dry skin has a rough texture and may become flaky. There are no shiny areas; in fact, the skin looks dull. Pores tend to be smaller because less oil is produced. Without adequate moisture, dry skin can easily become chapped. As dry skin ages, it’s more likely than other types to become wrinkly.

Combination skin is a mixture of dry and oily areas of differing degrees. Usually the T-zone -- the forehead, nose and chin -- is prone to oiliness, whereas the cheeks and neck tend to be dry. More people have combination skin than severely dry or oily skin.

Originally Posted by Diane Basic Skin Types

Oily skin has a coarse texture. Usually oily areas tend to shine. Oily skin results from overactive oil glands; the oil helps retain dead skin cells in the hair follicles. Pores tend to be larger. The dead skin cells may darken with exposure to the air, forming blackheads. Often, individuals with oily skin have a tendency to develop

acnein their teen and middle years, and overgrown oil glands, or sebaceous hyperplasia, in the middle and late years.

It's me...i don't like oily skin.....it's always oily
icon_sad.gif

I fall into the combination category, but think there should be a new one called "combo/oily" for those of us who unfortuntately
mad.gif
lean toward the oilier side of combo.

Good article Diane, I often hear people asking questions about this one.

I pretty much have combination skin.

Trisha, I would NEVER know you had any issues w/your skin b/c it's flawless. I always thought you fell into the "normal" category.

Latest posts

Back