Beauty Army: June 2012

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I took the quiz a lot before I decided that these were the things I would be most interested.  BA seems to be adding new stuff and that mystery sample is exciting.  I'm looking forward to this month's kit.

These were my original 9 options:

​
And here are the 6 samples I chose:​

-Indie Lee The Daily Moisturizing Oil (Vanilla Citrus) Sample Size 0.25 oz -MAD Skincare Eye Defense Shielding Serum Sample Size 0.13 oz -Weleda Refining Toner Sample Size 0.34 fl oz -Eyecandy Coolers Sample Size 1 Set of Eye Coolers (Color Varies) -NYX Le Chick Flick Mascara Full Size Sample -Mystery Sample
I hope they add more make up samples.  I have way too many skin care samples from birchbox, myglam and glossybox.....

Well at least with BA I do get to choose my samples rather than random samples they choose for me and I hope I will like when I get it.

Just made my picks for the month. Only had to redo my profile 5 times before I found enough to make me happy. Here's what I'm getting:

I have 4 days until my window opens. I'm not super excited from what I see is currently available, but we'll see. It's so random when they restock, you never know when they are low on samples, or when they get new stuff in..

This sucks...I've taken the damn thing repeatedly and not ONCE has NYX shown up. Can someone tell me what they chose specifically...Everytime I hit makeup the Youngblood primer comes up. I can't get anything I want except the eye coolers

Originally Posted by CookiesGirl327 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And how the hell can u get a mystery sample
Seriously! I would give up any one of my picks to be surprised! I have a feeling it might be something good and I'm missing out :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> which sucks so bad...I did pick all perfume samples though. Hopefully I won't get them as choices anymore and I'm still mad as hell cause I wanted a NYX mascara...the only way I can get one is to order online from somewhere, living in the boonies has major drawbacks when it comes to my makeup collecting addiction LOL

Originally Posted by mirandamanda /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Seriously! I would give up any one of my picks to be surprised! I have a feeling it might be something good and I'm missing out :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> which sucks so bad...I did pick all perfume samples though. Hopefully I won't get them as choices anymore and I'm still mad as hell cause I wanted a NYX mascara...the only way I can get one is to order online from somewhere, living in the boonies has major drawbacks when it comes to my makeup collecting addiction LOL
I would suggest if you order it then get it from Ulta when it's on sale.

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I would suggest if you order it then get it from Ulta when it's on sale.
I've had issues with ULTA in the past, they don't like to ship to me :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> However MAC and Sephora have no problem with my address so I do my orders with them. I just wait until Sephora has a good sample selection and make my order :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  I can't wait to see what BA has to say about a lot of us getting the same sample choices no matter how many times we retake our profile...

I skipped this month and if my selections next month are not to my liking I will be cancelling the service. I think it's ridiculous to have to take the beauty profile repeatedly, many times choosing things that don't describe you or your beauty needs, in order to TRY to get the products you want to appear in your selection window. And oftentimes things like men's body wash or an anti-aging product appears when you don't have "men" or "anti-aging" selected. For these reasons, I think the claim they used to promote their subscription service, they being a monthly beauty subscription service where you can choose your products, is misleading.

Originally Posted by CookiesGirl327 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This sucks...I've taken the damn thing repeatedly and not ONCE has NYX shown up. Can someone tell me what they chose specifically...Everytime I hit makeup the Youngblood primer comes up. I can't get anything I want except the eye coolers
NYX was one item that I had come up no matter how I changed my profile, I always chose makeup, tools, eye area if that helps you.

I was a bit annoyed with Beauty Army this month.  A week after choosing my picks, I was contacted that one of the items was unavailable  and they gave me choices that wasn't an option after taking my beauty profile multiple times.  Some of the screenshots on this forum show products that were definitely not offered to me =( What's up with that Beauty Army?? Oh, and if I wanted to skip a month option, how do I do that?  I'm gonna need to know in case they annoy me again. Thanks ladies!

ZoomButt.gif

ZoomButt.gif

Just doing the simple math here... we pay $12 for the sub, that's for 6 samples.  $2 per sample... what's going on when there's 'Weleda Refining Toner' at .34 oz, that's a $1.60 value in product?  Then the perfume viles?!?!!!??!!  Come on throw 2 or 3 in there as a 'choice', bundle it up, make me a nice 'boquet'.  

Correct me if I am wrong.... the business model here is that the sub companies (i.e. BB, BA, TT, etc...) solicits manufacturers for these samples or inquire about joining their 'marketing' campaign to put their product samples in the hands of the 'target' demographics.  The sub companies bore no cost for the actual samples... discliamer...  but they do have the expense of contacting these firms, boxing boxes, responding to e-mails & hopefully monitoring social media like this one, rent, utility etc...

This should make it easier for them to make each choice worthwhile for the subscribers.  Not every sample needs to be spectacular, but its retail price should at least nudge the $2 mark?  What do you think?

ZoomButt.gif

Originally Posted by FormosaHoney /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It's a logical strategy, but BA being newly formed and not heavy on logic...  I'd not count on that following through.  Folks havs also said in their posts that they have ordered the same 'sample' repeatedly.  So if you are spending $12 on perfume samples to get them 'out of the way', you still might see them if BA has a excessive inventory of perfume vials or the one-off foil packs.  

I'd suggest get the box because you want what's in it otherwise skip it, IMHO ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />...

ZoomButt.gif

ZoomButt.gif

ZoomButt.gif

ZoomButt.gif

I've actually been with them since the beginning and once I've picked a sample, I've never seen it again. Otherwise I'd do whatever it takes to receive the foundation and powder over and over. I do see the same repeating unpicked samples though. And I just checked my BA account since my card shows no charge from them and it says that "Subscriptions that are terminated cannot be updated. I never terminated my account to begin with! *smh* oh well, I just got my cravebox today and that came with CHOCOLATES! so I'm going to go relax with those...Let Nancy-Lee straighten that mess out! 

I have had a few samples I was able to get twice luckily it was the good samples like I got the Joico twice and one month I was able to get the foundation in light and by changing my skin color the next month I was able to get the foundation in medium to show up. I was thinking I could mix them but I ended up trading one. My window opened on the 2ed I retook my profile like 50x and was never happy so I retook it several times the next day I was never able to get the Nyx to show up and I tried everything! Im almost wondering if the good makeup samples come up only if you were not able to score one the previous month...there has to be some rhyme and reason to what people are able to get to come up! I know for a fact from reading on here they still had the NYX and I tried everything for 2 days and never could get it. Just a thought.

I emailed Nancy Lee and she said they were out of stock on NYX and had no idea when they'd have it again I want the eye coolers but Ican buy them separate at a later time. She also said it can take up to 3 says to receive a refund for skipping the month

Nancy-Lee told me that IT was going to look at my account, after 3 more tries of updating my info (it does lock after a certain number) and still getting the 'terminated' message. I feel like it shouldn't be this hard to give them money for itty bitty samples and a really cool (imo) black box but we'll see what happens. I did pick the eye coolers though, plus the YB primer and 4 perfume samples. It'd be awesome for it to just show up but I don't think that's going to happen. 

They weren't offered to you because whatever was in your beauty profile combo didn't match whatever makes those things come up. The stuff they offered you is probably stuff they know they have plenty in stock, not necessarily stuff that will match your profile combo

Originally Posted by angiepang1e /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I was a bit annoyed with Beauty Army this month.  A week after choosing my picks, I was contacted that one of the items was unavailable  and they gave me choices that wasn't an option after taking my beauty profile multiple times.  Some of the screenshots on this forum show products that were definitely not offered to me =( What's up with that Beauty Army?? Oh, and if I wanted to skip a month option, how do I do that?  I'm gonna need to know in case they annoy me again. Thanks ladies!

This is my second month skipping with them. It's not worth purchasing if I only want 1 or 2 samples. I will give them until August because I still like this company and the concept.

I don't think this algorithm that they're using for the quiz makes any sense. Like a couple of people have said, the answers to the first several style questions seem to have no impact on the results at all, and it's only the age range and what you choose in the categories at the end that makes a difference. For me, it wasn't even a huge difference... most of the time it would just be variations of the same products (I think I saw 3 different Indie Lee oils and 3 or 4 different Control Corrective serums) rather than whole new products.

What really baffled me, though, is that the first few times I put "anti-redness" as one of my categories, and I kept getting the Control Corrective anti-wrinkle serum. But towards the end I stopped selecting anti-redness, and THEN I got the Control Corrective Redness Relief serum. What the?!

In the end, I did sign up, because I figure now that they have the skip-a-month option I can at least give myself the opportunity to see each month's samples and the option to get another box, versus staying on the waitlist and wondering what I'm missing out on. At least my selection window is the 1st through the 6th of every month so it sounds like I'm in a good spot for getting access to their newest samples. But I'm definitely feeling more than a little underwhelmed, to be honest...

Latest posts

Back