Beauty In's and Out's for 2005

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Beauty In's and Out's for 2005

<!-- End: contenthead -->by Alexandria De Botton

If you're like a lot of women, last year's beauty routine involved a whole lot of pink blush and a near-obsessive attachment to a straightening iron. This year two major trends ‑- inspired by old-time Hollywood glamour and new-Hollywood ingénue glamour ‑- serve up some of the sexiest beauty looks in recent memory. Here, we look at what's in and what's out for 2005.

In: Colorful liner and lids

Out: Smoky evening eyes

Instead of basic kohl-rimmed eyes, reinvent your usual nighttime look with liner in shades like navy, green or deep plum. To achieve this look, pencil a line just above and below your eyes (we love Lancome's Le Stylo Waterproof Long-Lasting Eyeliner), and smudge slightly with a brush. Then add extra oomph with jewel-toned shadows, like the ones in Dior's Jewel Collection Precious Makeup for Eyes.

In: Soft waves

Out: Straight strands

Good news that will cut your styling time in half: Stick-straight hair is officially out. This season, hair is loose and natural ‑- a look that demands minimal effort, especially if you've been blessed with curly or wavy tresses. Just work a bit of product, like Aveda's Be Curly Curl Enhancing Lotion, through damp hair from roots to ends, and blow-dry without using a brush. If your hair is straight, use large rollers or a large-barrel curling iron for the look that screams old-Hollywood glamour.

In: Dark polish

Out: Nude nails

If you always go for barely-there nail polish colors, think of it as a habit you should break this year. Dramatic hues like OPI's Edin-Burgundy or Revlon's ColorStay Always-On Nail Enamel in Ultimate Wine are ultrahip. Not so sure you're ready to pull off darker colors? The trick to making this look work is short, neat nails. And since no one wants to look messy, be sure to apply an extra-duty topcoat to keep your polish from chipping.

In: Bronze skin

Out: Pink cheeks

If there's one thing that all under-25 celebrities have in common, it's their glowing bronzed skin. Think of Lindsay Lohan, Jessica Simpson, Paris Hilton, Scarlett Johansson and Britney Spears. We prefer to assume they're not going to tanning beds for their year-round color, but are using self-tanners and iridescent powders like Benefit's Hoola instead. Highlight your cheeks with a tawny shade like Nars's The Multiple in Copacabana. Or you might try a self-tanning moisturizer or bronzer for the face. Most department-store brands have one. Just remember: A little goes a long way ‑- you want to avoid becoming "tanorexic" at all costs.

In: Movie-star-red lips

Out: A glossy pout

Clear, glossy lips were everywhere in 2004, but the look that's rampant on runways right now is pure Jean Harlow and Ava Gardner glamour. How does a regular girl like you work this movie-star look? It's easy! First, find a fail-safe shade that works on all skin tones, like Nars's Afghan Red. Before applying, add definition to your lip line and prevent feathering by using a neutral lip liner (we like Cargo's The Reverse Lipliner. Apply lipstick, blot and you're ready to knock 'em dead with a gorgeous kisser.

Tip: To ensure that you're glamorous and not the least bit gaudy, keep your cheek and eye makeup simple ‑- just defined brows, a little black or brown mascara and neutral blush.
end_slug.gif

Great article Diane!!! Thanks for posting! Although I'm scared of the 'red lip' trend... so scary on me!!! LOL
eek.gif

Oh yeah, me too!
icon_eek.gif
LOL I don't wear much lipstick. I like lip glosses and balms mostly.
smile.gif
QUOTE=NYAngel98]Great article Diane!!! Thanks for posting! Although I'm scared of the 'red lip' trend... so scary on me!!! LOL
eek.gif

Usuable Article, I don't like red at all. Ugly on me. but all over very good.

I look crazy with red lipstick! Everyone loves it, but I don't. What I do is put on my red shades with a pale pink gloss over the top. Always looks really cute and cuts the red down a lot. (makes it my favorite color.. PINK!!!!!!)

Fabulous article Diane.. Do you mind if we include it in next months newsletter?

Of course not go ahead.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Laura Fabulous article Diane.. Do you mind if we include it in next months newsletter?

Great article Diane! Like Janelle, I don't know if I can pull off the red lip look, but love that it's making a comeback. I'll forever be wearing nude nails, but it's nice to know that dark n/p is appreciated. Lastly, my hair is very happy that soft waves are in. Now I won't have to spend a ton of time trying to restrict my waves.

My hair is loving the soft wave look too.
smile.gif
I have naturally wavy/curly hair and I'm glad I don't have to spend the time straightening it as well.
biggrin.gif
Originally Posted by keaLoha Great article Diane! Like Janelle, I don't know if I can pull off the red lip look, but love that it's making a comeback. I'll forever be wearing nude nails, but it's nice to know that dark n/p is appreciated. Lastly, my hair is very happy that soft waves are in. Now I won't have to spend a ton of time trying to restrict my waves.

Latest posts

Back