Becoming a MAC MA

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm a newbie and have been trying to get on as a MAC MA for some time. I noticed that there are quite a few artists on this site, and wondered if anyone has any tips for me as to how to go about getting hired. I would really appreciate any information you might have for me.

Thanks
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Here's what I've heard from the MA's at MAC about who they hire and why.

They are all about individuality and personality. Wear all black and don't dress too conservative. Wear something that showcases your personality but that isn't too revealing.

They have a series of interviews with you if you are in consideration. They test you on your day application and then ask you to turn it into a night look without washing off the day makeup. You have to be confident with this or they may not hire you. I know a girl who got to the second interview and didn't know what to do to turn her day look into a night look and they didn't call her for the job. If you've ever walked into a MAC store, you know that what they mean by night and what most people wear out at night are two totally different things. They want to see dramatic.

This is for here, I am not sure if it's different in other cities?

perhaps someone here actually works for MAC or knows someone who does that can help?

Thanks I appreciate the information and will use it. We have several MAC stores here in Houston and two MAC pro stores, so there is no shortage. One MAC manager told me that you have to apply at the specific MAC you want to work for. I was also told that it may be easier to start on the freelance team, but I don't know what exactly what that entails.

Originally Posted by gamaki Here's what I've heard from the MA's at MAC about who they hire and why. They are all about individuality and personality. Wear all black and don't dress too conservative. Wear something that showcases your personality but that isn't too revealing.

They have a series of interviews with you if you are in consideration. They test you on your day application and then ask you to turn it into a night look without washing off the day makeup. You have to be confident with this or they may not hire you. I know a girl who got to the second interview and didn't know what to do to turn her day look into a night look and they didn't call her for the job. If you've ever walked into a MAC store, you know that what they mean by night and what most people wear out at night are two totally different things. They want to see dramatic.

This is for here, I am not sure if it's different in other cities?

perhaps someone here actually works for MAC or knows someone who does that can help?

What I suggest is working freelance at your local MAC counter for awhile: that entails coming in on an occasional basis to fill in for other artists, etc (its almost like an apprenticeship). After you make yourself known on the freelance team, they may ask you to do a series of makeovers on someone (I got to choose my subject, so if you have that option, I suggest choosing one of your most gorgeous friends with flawless skin
icon_biggrin.gif
). You should be familiar with all of the products and should be a frequent shopper at your local MAC counter (its really all about getting yourself known and letting your personality show through). After the make-up "test," you go through the interview process that Gamaki outlined above.

Honestly, the hiring process at every MAC counter is different. I'd contact the manager or human resources manager at a store close to you.

This information is very helpful. I have already filled out applications at three MAC stores and have put store/freelance so that they know I am open. Are you a MAC makeup artist now?

Originally Posted by ikebana What I suggest is working freelance at your local MAC counter for awhile: that entails coming in on an occasional basis to fill in for other artists, etc (its almost like an apprenticeship). After you make yourself known on the freelance team, they may ask you to do a series of makeovers on someone (I got to choose my subject, so if you have that option, I suggest choosing one of your most gorgeous friends with flawless skin
icon_biggrin.gif
). You should be familiar with all of the products and should be a frequent shopper at your local MAC counter (its really all about getting yourself known and letting your personality show through). After the make-up "test," you go through the interview process that Gamaki outlined above.
Honestly, the hiring process at every MAC counter is different. I'd contact the manager or human resources manager at a store close to you.

Originally Posted by devinjhans This information is very helpful. I have already filled out applications at three MAC stores and have put store/freelance so that they know I am open. Are you a MAC makeup artist now? No, I used to be, but now I just do freelance for them because I didn't have time for a f/t or even p/t position because I'm studying at NYU. MAC is an excellent company to work for though... definitely the best experience I've had with a cosmetics company.
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Originally Posted by ikebana No, I used to be, but now I just do freelance for them because I didn't have time for a f/t or even p/t position because I'm studying at NYU. MAC is an excellent company to work for though... definitely the best experience I've had with a cosmetics company.
icon_cheesygrin.gif
What types of benefits do they offer? HOw well do they pay in the US? I wonder what the pay difference is from the US and Canada?

That's great to know. How did you get on as a freelance artist? Did you have to apply or did you already know someone? This one artist told me it took her over a year before she got hired.

Originally Posted by ikebana No, I used to be, but now I just do freelance for them because I didn't have time for a f/t or even p/t position because I'm studying at NYU. MAC is an excellent company to work for though... definitely the best experience I've had with a cosmetics company.
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Originally Posted by devinjhans That's great to know. How did you get on as a freelance artist? Did you have to apply or did you already know someone? This one artist told me it took her over a year before she got hired. It didn't take me that long
icon_confused.gif
... I knew all of the girls/guys at my counter really well, and one of them is a good friend of mine... so that probably helped. One day the manager asked if I'd like to do freelance, and I said OK, and started working the next month. But it is sort of like an 'on call' sort of job. But I did have to fill out an application like anyone else to become a MAC artist.

Originally Posted by gamaki What types of benefits do they offer? HOw well do they pay in the US? I wonder what the pay difference is from the US and Canada? Benefits are different at every MAC counter, but I think the best perk for me is the 50% discount on cosmetics. As for the salary, I don't know how much MAs in Canada make, so I have nothing to compare to. But the pay is excellent... not so much as a freelance (I don't think starting out freelancers even get paid), but as an MAC artist, you can make a comfortable living. Besides, most MAC artists do their own freelance stuff on the side, which is added income.

Well I do frequent one of the MAC pro stores quite often and know one of the artists pretty well. She is the one that told me about the freelance team being my best way to get on. I put in an app. there about three months ago and go there often to get the status, but the manager told me that they were not hiring and would probably not be needing help until the holidays. So I just applied at two other MAC counters and the manager said that he might have a freelance position open and to call back on Monday. So hopefully if I stay persistent something will come through.
icon_question.gif
Thanks so much for your info.

Originally Posted by ikebana It didn't take me that long
icon_confused.gif
... I knew all of the girls/guys at my counter really well, and one of them is a good friend of mine... so that probably helped. One day the manager asked if I'd like to do freelance, and I said OK, and started working the next month. But it is sort of like an 'on call' sort of job. But I did have to fill out an application like anyone else to become a MAC artist.

Hiring differs at each store. If you are applying to a partnered location (ie: Nordstrom), you'll go through a different process than if you apply to a free standing MAC store.

I had to apply to Nordstrom before the process could begin. I first interviewed with the Nordstrom's cosmetics manager, THEN with the MAC manager and finally went in for an application interview. Each manager will ask something different for the application interview (give you a scenario, have you copy a tearsheet etc). Be open to constructive criticism, watch the clock (you'll only have 45 mins) and communicate with your model like you would with a customer.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to drop me a PM!

Okay that is great to know. I applied at Nordstrom's online Tuesday, because that's what the MAC artist told me they are doing now. I also applied at MAC Saks. This information is extremely helpful. What do you suggest I practice and know so that I can be more impressive in case I get an interview?

Originally Posted by Joyeuux Hiring differs at each store. If you are applying to a partnered location (ie: Nordstrom), you'll go through a different process than if you apply to a free standing MAC store.
I had to apply to Nordstrom before the process could begin. I first interviewed with the Nordstrom's cosmetics manager, THEN with the MAC manager and finally went in for an application interview. Each manager will ask something different for the application interview (give you a scenario, have you copy a tearsheet etc). Be open to constructive criticism, watch the clock (you'll only have 45 mins) and communicate with your model like you would with a customer.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to drop me a PM!

Latest posts

Back