Benefit of essential oils

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Essential Oil Guide for Skin and Hair

BERGAMOT: Antiseptic, anti-inflammatory, healing wounds and scars. Astringent, good for oily skin. Used for acne, eczema, spots, cold sores, boils, wounds.

CLARY SAGE: Antiseptic, aids in the regenaration of skin cells, wrinkles, anti-inflammatory, also helpful for acne, boils, psoriasis, eczema. Helps cuts, wounds and burns to heal. Useful for hair care, controls the production of sebum, oily hair, dandruff, discourages hair growht.

CYPRESS: Regulates oil production, best for oily and over-hydrated skin. Used to treat excessive perspiration, wounds, frostbite, acne and cellulitis.

EUCALYPTUS: Analgesic, antiseptic, helps wounds to heal, aids in the forming of scar tissue, used for burns, cuts, blisters and ulcers.

FENNEL: Anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, stimulates circulation, used for dull and oily skin, bruises, cellulitis and wrinkles.

FRANKINCENSE: Anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, astringent, helps wounds and scars to heal; very good for dry and mature skin, used for wrinkles (was used for embalming).

GERANIUM: Especially good for oily and dull skin, but it can be used for all skin types. Antiseptic, fungicidal, cleansing, mildly pain-relieving, reduces inflammation, stops bleeding, promotes the forming of scar tissue, helps wounds to heal. Used for acne, bruises, burns, cuts, broken capilarries, dermatisis, cellulitis, eczema and ulcers.

GINGER: Used to treat varicose veins and cellulitis.

LAVENDER: Antiseptic, controls the production of sebum, stimulates circulation in the skin. Assists in the healing of wounds (aids in the formation of scar tissue) and helps to rejuvenate the skin. Used to treat acne, cuts, burns, sunburn, inflammation, psoriasis and wrinkles.

LEMON: Assists in the formation of scar tissue. Antiseptic, astringent, controls the production of sebum, used for oily skin, and acne. Revitalizes the skin by improving circulation and encouraging the elimination of wastes (used for cellulitis); gently exfoliates the complexion. With long application reduces broken capillaries and varicose veins, softens scar tissue on scars and corns. It is also said to strengthen brittle nails.

MARJORAM: Pain-relieving, antiseptic, helps wounds to heal, used for chillblains, cuts and bruises.

MYRRH: Antiseptic, astringent, reduces inflammation, improves circulation, stimulates the regeneration of skin cells, assists in the healing of wounds. Used to treat eczema, wounds, wrinkles. Very good for mature complexions or chapped and cracked skin.

PEPPERMINT: Anti-inflammatory, pain-relieving, antiseptic, astringent, relieves itching, used for acne, dermatitis. (For itching it should be used invery small concentration - less then 1%). Stimulates circulation and can enliven dull, congested skin. Used in the treatment of broken cappilaries.

Part two will follow later!!!

thanks for the info...was wondering what the different types of oils do, other than the smells!!
icon_razz.gif

I love essential oils. Lavender and rose, in particular, for the skin. I put a few drops of rose oil in a blue glass spray bottle and fill with spring water. I keep this in the fridge to spritz on my face after applying makeup -- or just to refresh me when I'm not wearing any.

I buy mine at a local "New-Age" type store, but you can also purchase at health food stores.

Hi guys, thanks for the posts. Part two will follow soon as i wrote before, but i am a little bit lazy, so be patience
hahaha.gif
! Ok, bye guys.

Originally Posted by devinjhans thanks so much for the info. that is really helpful!!
icon_cheesygrin.gif
Your welcome my dear
icon_lol.gif
!

-= am just curious cud someone help me how to use the said oils? just dump it to the face? TY sisters!=-

Part Two

ROMAN CHAMOMILE: Reduces inflammation, aids in the healing of wounds. Used for acne, boils, cuts, dermatitis, eczema, rashes, burns and sunburns. Very good for dry skin, especially when it is inflamed and sensitive. Can reduce the redness of broken capillaries.

ROSEMARY: antiseptic, gently pain-relieving, assists in the healing of wounds and scars. Regulates oil secretions, stimulates circulation, encourages the elimination of cellular wastes, assists in the drainage of lymphatic fluid; improves dull-looking skin. Used to treat acne, dermatitis, varicose veins, cellulitis. Stimulates the scalp, promotes hair growht, used for dandruff and seborrhea.

TEA TREE: Antiseptic, anti-inflammatory, assists in the healing of wounds and scars. Used to treat acne, blisters, burns, sunburns, cold sores, rashes, warts, fungal infections. One of the few oils that can be used directly on the skin. Useful in oral hygiene, relieves gingivitis, mouth ulcers, periodontal disease and toothaches(gargle). Caution: can be irritate skin, so do a patch test.

THYME: antiseptic, astringent, assists in the healing of wounds and scars. Used to treat acne, bruises, burns, cuts, dermatitis, cellulitis, eczema and insect bites.

YLANG YLANG: Antiseptic, soothing, helps to control the production of sebum, smooths the skin and stimulates new cell growht. Used to treat oily and irritated skin, acne, eczema and wrinkles.

Originally Posted by seshiru -= am just curious cud someone help me how to use the said oils? just dump it to the face? TY sisters!=- Amazon.com has a book named: The complete book of essential oils and aromatherapy (paperback)!By Valerie Ann Worwood

And, just to make things easier, here are the essential oils grouped by

skintype or condition:

Dry skin: Chamomile, Frankincense, Lavender, Palmarosa, Rosewood.

Oily skin: Bergamot, Carrot seed, Cedarwood, Clary sage, Cypress,

Fennel (sweet), Geranium, Grapefruit, Juniper, Lemon, Mandarin, Tea tree, Ylang-ylang.

Dull and/or Congested skin: Fennel, Geranium, Grapefruit, Mandarin, Peppermint, Rosemary, Rosewood.

Wrinkles: Carrot seed, Clary sage, Fennel, Frankincense, Lavender, Mandarin, Myrhh, Palmarosa, Rosewood, Ylang-ylang.

Acne: Bergamot, Chamomile, Clary sage, Clove bud, Geranium, Grapefruit, Juniper, Lavender, Lemon, Lime, Mandarin, Palmarosa, Peppermint, Rosemary, Rosewood, Tea tree, Ylang-ylang.

Reducing inflammation: Chamomile, Clary sage, Fennel, Frankincense, Geranium, Myrrh, Peppermint, Orange, Tea tree.

Broken capillaries: Chamomile, Cypress, Geranium, Lemon, Palmarosa, Peppermint, Rosemary.

Cellulite: Cellulitis is composed of fat, cellular wastes and water, the oils used for this condition improve circulation, encourage the elimination of wastes and fluid. Basil, Clary sage, Fennel, Geranium, Ginger, Grapefruit, Juniper, Lemon, Rosemary.

Important Note: Before you go use a essential oil, make sure to get enough information about how to use/ mix them. And especially because most of the oils you can not put directly on your skin you need to use a carrrier oil to mix with like jojoba oil.

Hope this helps, greetz Lolli!
cool.gif

Oh I almost forgot. In case you do not have ready access to obtain essential oils in your part of the world, I know that you can order most of the EOs from www. aroma-pure.com and that they will ship inernationally for a reasonable price.

Excellent, informative thread! I love good quaility essential oils and strongly believe that they are very powerful key components in promoting health and longevity.

FAQ About The Oils

What are carrier oils?

Carrier oils are vegetable oils used to dilute the concentrated essential oils, they help to slow down the evaporation of the essential oils and help absorb them into the skin. The carrier oils should be "Extra virgin or cold pressed vegetable oils" for maximum benefit. Some good carrier oils include, sweet almond, grapeseed, canola, sunflower, sesame, wheat germ, jojoba, olive and peanut oil.

How do I store the essential oils?

Store essential oils in brown or dark blue colored glass bottles with a close fitting plastic screw cap. Do not store in plastic containers, they could become contaminated. Keep them in a dark, cool place to prolong the shelf life. Always store out of reach of childeren.

What safety precautions should I take?

Essential oils are highly concentrated extracts so keep away from the eyes (If oil comes in contact with the eyes, rinse it out with a few drops of Sweet almond oil, not water. Seek medical attention) and never take them internally. They should not be applied directly to the skin but mixed with a carrier oil such as almond oil to dilute them as the oils are in concentrated form. Never increase the dose of essential oil. Some oils are toxic in large amounts.

*NOTE: do not go out in the sun for atleast 6 hours after using any of these oils in your recipes: Ginger, Lemon, Orange and Bergamot, they can cause skin irritations if exposed to sun.

*Do not use on pregnant women or childeren under the age of two.

I like applying my oils topically but use them mostly in my diffuser. Diffusing releases oxygenating molecules, antiviral, antibacterial, and antiseptic properties, as well as negative ions, which kill bacteria. Essential oils, when diffused, have been reported to improve immune function and create a feeling of balance and well-being. I have a blend of clove, lemon, cinnamon, eucalyptus, and rosemary that I always diffuse through the winter around cold and flu season and I never get sick. Before I had my oils, I could guarantee that i'd get sick atleast once every winter.

Originally Posted by Little_Lisa I like applying my oils topically but use them mostly in my diffuser. Diffusing releases oxygenating molecules, antiviral, antibacterial, and antiseptic properties, as well as negative ions, which kill bacteria. Essential oils, when diffused, have been reported to improve immune function and create a feeling of balance and well-being. I have a blend of clove, lemon, cinnamon, eucalyptus, and rosemary that I always diffuse through the winter around cold and flu season and I never get sick. Before I had my oils, I could guarantee that i'd get sick atleast once every winter. Thanks for this info. Did not know about the diffusing part, it sounds interesting. Although I dont understand it completely, but I will look this up. Anyway thanks again!!!
icon_lol.gif

Latest posts

Back