Best BB Cream

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Not sure if there was a thread like this before, but I was looking to buy BB Cream, but I'm not sure which brand to get. What is the best brand to get in your opinion?

I've tried 5 different  BB creams, none from the US except Garnier, but I call that a tinted moisturizer more than BB cream. My absolute favorite is Skin79 Super+ BB cream VIP Gold Collection. It left my face covered, luminous without being dewy and just flawless. I also love Skin79 Super Plus Triple Functions (Orange label) for a more full coverage matte bb cream. It's good for oily skin.

Running very close to those is MISSHA Signature M and Perfect Cover. I like Signature M slightly more than Perfect Cover because it's hypoallergenic and has a really nice finish, but they are both great.

I own the Garnier but really don't like it at all.

Thanks for the review! I was interested in buying one of the Skin79 BB creams, but I've never tried any and I wasn't sure which one... I have combination-oily skin with blackheads (on my nose)
frown.gif
and the occasional pimple, but my tone is pretty even most of the time. So I would like something matte and light with just a little coverage. Which one would you recommend, the Skin79 super (the pink one) or the orange one?

Originally Posted by princess2010 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've tried 5 different  BB creams, none from the US except Garnier, but I call that a tinted moisturizer more than BB cream. My absolute favorite is Skin79 Super+ BB cream VIP Gold Collection. It left my face covered, luminous without being dewy and just flawless. I also love Skin79 Super Plus Triple Functions (Orange label) for a more full coverage matte bb cream. It's good for oily skin.

Running very close to those is MISSHA Signature M and Perfect Cover. I like Signature M slightly more than Perfect Cover because it's hypoallergenic and has a really nice finish, but they are both great.

I own the Garnier but really don't like it at all.

Sorry I failed to mention I've used the pink one too. I would go with the Orange over the pink. It has good coverage for the nose, but it still feels light on the skin. The pink is good too, but I did a side by side comparison and felt the Orange looked better. Hope that helps a little!

I own Dr. Jart and Stila. I was talking to the sales people at Ulta about Dr. Jart and they said its more of a tinted moisturizer than bb cream and convinced me to try the Stila and they are definitely two very different products. I'm not sure which is closer to the original bb creams from asia, but I like them both for different reasons. 

The gold Skin79 is recommended for more mature, drier skin but I found it too drying. Dream girls (also skin79) recommended to oilier teen skin is oddly more moisturing??? I tried a sample of Missha and that has a nice finish. I'm waiting for that to arrive.

Thank you so much! I'll keep that in mind ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Sorry I failed to mention I've used the pink one too. I would go with the Orange over the pink. It has good coverage for the nose, but it still feels light on the skin. The pink is good too, but I did a side by side comparison and felt the Orange looked better. Hope that helps a little!

I just purchased the Estee Lauder one, and I really really like it. It smells like cucumbers and aloe though, so be aware of that if you are scent sensitive!
But the formula is really pigmented without looking like foundation. It looked too yellow on me initially, but it blended right in and evened out my skintone nicely. I still have to use concealer on my undereyes/eyelids, and blemishes, but it makes the rest of my face look more refreshed, evened out and not so ruddy.

I like the garnier but it's a little too dewey looking for my taste. I actually put it over the Estee Lauder one and it was perfect, since the EL one is more of a matte finish, it was like they met in the middle, plus it warmed up the color a little more.

I've tried 5 different  BB creams, none from the US except Garnier, but I call that a tinted moisturizer more than BB cream.

It's funny you say that, because I've been suspecting that American cosmetics companies are labeling tinted moisturizer as BB cream. They know most Americans don't know the difference but that this BB cream thing is catching on. If I ever try out a BB cream, I'll order the ones that are popular in Asia instead of these new American ones, at least at first, so I know what they are supposed to be like. Right now I have a ton of different foundations and tinted moisturizers already to hold me over for some time.

I was just reading Vampy Varnish yesterday and saw that she tried out the Smashbox BB cream and liked it. So you might want to hit Sephora and see if you can get a sample of that one.

Originally Posted by DonnaJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It's funny you say that, because I've been suspecting that American cosmetics companies are labeling tinted moisturizer as BB cream. They know most Americans don't know the difference but that this BB cream thing is catching on. If I ever try out a BB cream, I'll order the ones that are popular in Asia instead of these new American ones, at least at first, so I know what they are supposed to be like. Right now I have a ton of different foundations and tinted moisturizers already to hold me over for some time.

I'll be honest; having been familiar with BB Creams from my time in Japan, I got so excited that Garnier was making an affordable one that I bought it without hesitation. And, yeah, it's just a tinted moisturizer, but I'll still use it up as it's far better than the foundations I've used. That said, I'm seriously considering getting some of those sample kits to figure out which BB Cream is actually worth my investment.

Originally Posted by calexxia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'll be honest; having been familiar with BB Creams from my time in Japan, I got so excited that Garnier was making an affordable one that I bought it without hesitation. And, yeah, it's just a tinted moisturizer, but I'll still use it up as it's far better than the foundations I've used. That said, I'm seriously considering getting some of those sample kits to figure out which BB Cream is actually worth my investment.

Yes, a sample kit is worth it! I found out which one I like through some samples. I probably would have never even tried it if it wasn't for the kit. The Asian BB creams are WAY cheaper than the US ones too even adding shipping in there.

Where can we buy sample kits?

Yes, a sample kit is worth it! I found out which one I like through some samples. I probably would have never even tried it if it wasn't for the kit. The Asian BB creams are WAY cheaper than the US ones too even adding shipping in there.

I really like MISSHA's BB creams. Even though it applies grey-ish on my skin tone, it blends out nicely. If you aren't looking for full coverage, I also think Holika Holika is a nice one. It is really light on your face, but it has sheer coverage.

I like the ones I've tried by Skin79. One is the Super Triple Function Hot Pink, and the other is Diamond something or other (very shimmery). The Hot Pink one is perfect for me, but would probably look strange on darker skin. I am very pale.

So can anyone tell me what's the big deal about BBs? I got a sample of the Stilla one from Ulta and while it's nice and smells terrific I feel like I don't have as much coverage as I do with my tinted moisturizer. I use the Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer and I LOVE it. I know that the Stilla BB is a lighter shade than my skin tone and so I think that could be a difference but I just don't understand what are the 10 things that it is supposed to accomplish in one cream. I feel like it's just another gimmicky product... help me out here and clue me in on the fabulousness of them. 

The true Asian BB creams like Missha, Skin79, SkinFood, etc are different than tinted moisturizers. The US brands are pretty much just that. BB creams are supposed to protect (high spf), whiten, moisturize, prime and cover all in one. I find the MISSHA and Skin79 do that VERY well. The Garnier, not so much, though it is a nice tinted moisturizer it's not a true BB cream. With BB cream I don't have to use under eye concealer, primer, moisturizer or SPF before going out. The Skin79 I'm currently using has an SPF of 50 which is pretty much unheard of in Western foundations or bb creams.

BB creams are supposed to make your skin BETTER while wearing them unlike foundations that just sit on the skin. It's one stop makeup because it's about 5 products in one. Hope that's not too confusing!

Originally Posted by sihaya /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So can anyone tell me what's the big deal about BBs? I got a sample of the Stilla one from Ulta and while it's nice and smells terrific I feel like I don't have as much coverage as I do with my tinted moisturizer. I use the Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer and I LOVE it. I know that the Stilla BB is a lighter shade than my skin tone and so I think that could be a difference but I just don't understand what are the 10 things that it is supposed to accomplish in one cream. I feel like it's just another gimmicky product... help me out here and clue me in on the fabulousness of them. 
The stila bb cream according to the guy at my ulta is closer to a true bb cream than the other ones which are pretty much tinted moisturizers. He told me to use it as a primer, which I have been, and I find it amazing. It covers all my fine lines, and makes for a very smooth surface. Better than any other primer ever for me. I don't know if that is a "true" bb cream or not, but I'm in love with it.

Originally Posted by Playedinloops /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The stila bb cream according to the guy at my ulta is closer to a true bb cream than the other ones which are pretty much tinted moisturizers. He told me to use it as a primer, which I have been, and I find it amazing. It covers all my fine lines, and makes for a very smooth surface. Better than any other primer ever for me. I don't know if that is a "true" bb cream or not, but I'm in love with it.
Is he saying it's like a foundation with a primer all in one? Or just use as a primer and then use something else on top for foundation? Because a real BB Cream acts as a primer and foundation, as well as having sun protection, anti-aging ingredients, whitening or brightening effect (which is why they sometimes look gray), and concealer. You don't need any other products but the BB Cream if it's one of the good Korean ones.

Oh and almost all of them are good for pale, fair, even ghostly white. It can get kinda iffy for medium skin tones and darker. Missha is one of the few that has darker bb creams though, for us dark skinned women who want to try them.

Latest posts

Back