Best Bronzers and how to apply them?!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello lovely ladies =)

I know it's a bit early to start thinking about bronzers but I know some people wear it on a daily basis. However I am lost when it comes to applying it. I have about 5 different brands but can not seem to get it right! It always looks like I have a dirty face or it just wont blend and I have a huge brown patch on my cheeks. Its horrible!!
icon_eek.gif

I know the sucking in the cheeks trick but still nothing. What am I doing wrong?

Does anyone have a different technique? Also what are some of your favorite bronzers?!

Bronzers are meant to give you a sunkissed look or slight warmth to the skin. You want to apply bronzer where the sun would normally hit it bc that's where you would normally tan. I apply it in a "3" motion: I apply in a sweeping motion lightly across the top of my forehead, by the temples, then across my cheek & back and then down by my jaw across my jaw line towards my chin as if I'm doing the number 3. I also put some on my collar bone if it's showing.

I've found that using a fluffier brush as opposed to a densely packed brush works for me. I too had the same problem with it looking like smudged dirt. The "3" motion is a good technique. I should try that out, cause right now, I'm just lightly brushing it on with an angled face brush. I have chubby cheeks to begin with, so bronzer is my best friend. Right now, I use Laguna by NARS. It's perfect because I like my bronzer to not have a lot of shimmer or glitter. Previously, I was using MAC's Gold Deposit MSF, and I didn't like how shiny my face looked every day. I break that out for special occasions. Also, Too Faced has a cream bronzer called Aqua Bunny, and it smells like coconuts. I liked it, but then I got too tan for it :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Happy Bronzing!

I've found that using a fluffier brush as opposed to a densely packed brush works for me. I too had the same problem with it looking like smudged dirt. The "3" motion is a good technique. I should try that out, cause right now, I'm just lightly brushing it on with an angled face brush. I have chubby cheeks to begin with, so bronzer is my best friend. Right now, I use Laguna by NARS. It's perfect because I like my bronzer to not have a lot of shimmer or glitter. Previously, I was using MAC's Gold Deposit MSF, and I didn't like how shiny my face looked every day. I break that out for special occasions. Also, Too Faced has a cream bronzer called Aqua Bunny, and it smells like coconuts. I liked it, but then I got too tan for it :( Happy Bronzing!
I use a flat paddle brush that's fluffy too. It helps diffuse bronzer more properly. I love Laguna! It's one of my favorite bronzers.

MAC - Gingerly, hands down. I use a kabuki angled brush, sometimes a fluffy powder brush! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Make sure when you're applying bronzer to start from the back of your cheekbones and work your way
up to the front, just so that it looks more natural! I reccomend this technique to even regular pink blush, but
pink blush works really well inward to outward as well, because we are known to naturally have 'pink' appled
cheeks. With bronzer, however, it's more of a 'tan' look..so, you want to make it look as natural as possible! 

Awesome thanks for the help girls =) I will give the "3" technique a try! And gingerly looks really beautiful ! I think I'll give that a try too. I've always wanted to try NARS Laguna.. is there anything that compares?

For a more matte bronzer I go for Benefit's Hoola (a boxed bronzer) and for a bronzer with some shimmer my staple item is MAC's Refined Golden. I use them pretty interchangably. I also use the '3' method, and make sure to blend really well. Agreed with Tulipp that I start on my cheeks and go up then down, it does look more natural when its done that way. 

This is a nice short video and it's exactly how I do my bronzing. I also do a little on the neck and on my ears so they're not pale white and obvious. Her accent is wack though lol.

That's a good video, but I don't put it all over my face like she is doing.. :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I only do my cheeks, the extra on the jawbones, and a little on the temples. 

"Bronza" lol I love her accent. No idea where she's from but when she says bronzer she says it as "bronza" which reminds me of someone from Boston.

Here are my Bronzers: 

Physicians Formula - Light Bronze Pearl
Urban Decay - Baked Bronzer Matte
Maybelline Mineral Powder Bronzer - Sunlight Bronze

MAC - Gingerly
MAC - Gold Deposit

Swatches: 

(Down to Bottom):
MAC - Gold Deposit
Urban Decay - Baked Bronzer  Matte

Maybelline Mineral Powder Bronzer - Sunlight Bronze
MAC - Gingerly
Physicians Formula - Light Bronze Pearl

Thanks for the video! I purchased Gingerly and it worked great =) I also ended up getting a different brush.. I had been using the ELF Studio blush brush. I now use the Eco Tools bronzer brush and I like it so much better.

Yay :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I'm so glad you went with Gingerly. You won't regret it! It's one of the best, if not the BEST bronzer I have ever owned. The color is too beautiful :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Instead of starting a new thread, I thought I'd just post here. Does anyone else have problems with NARS Laguna? I have the duo of that with Orgasm and find that neither show up very well on me. And definitely don't live up to their hefty price tag. I wear a 118 of the MUFE HD foundation, so I'm not in anyway dark. But I'm having trouble finding a bronzer that shows up. Any suggestions?

Latest posts

Back