Best Hairstyle For Your Face Shape

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
DISCOVERING THE BEST HAIRSTYLE FOR YOUR FACE SHAPE

Forget about fashion magazine hair trends - your face shape is truly what determines your most flattering hairstyles.

Determining Your Face Shape

When it comes to getting great hair, don't look any further than your own mirror. Whether you're a "heart," "round," or "oval," your best cut is determined by your face. Everyone's face is different and it's important to understand that every hairstyle is not for every face shape. To accentuate balance and beauty, strive for a hairstyle that works with your particular face shape. That strategy will not only give you your best look, but also emphasize your best features. Be sure to bring this up with your stylist and make it an important determination in your new look.

The Answer's in the Mirror

Figure out your face shape within a well-lit mirror while by pulling hair back into a tight, structure-revealing ponytail. Look at the outline of your face, the size and shape of your forehead as it compares to your cheeks and chin. Then using a dry bar of soap and trace the outline of your face directly onto the mirror. Now, stand back and analyze the outline you created to exactly determine your true face shape from the options listed below.

Complimenting Your Face Shape

There are basically five main face shape categories to consider:

- Round Face Shape

- Oval Face Shape

- Long Face Shape

- Square Face Shape

- Heart Face Shape

Whichever face shape you fall into, there is a hairstyle that will work for you. Whether your hair is curly, straight or somewhere in between, the right cut and volumizing techniques will complement your face and features.

*** Round Face Shape

If your face shape is: Round -- full with round chin and hairline

* DOs: Add volume to the top of head to slim.

* DON'TS: Stay away from a spiky and short topside. Avoid width or volume on sides.

* NOTE: Although many women describe their faces as round, this is in fact the rarest face shape. It is often just your hairstyle that makes your face appear round. The key to de-emphasizing roundness is to keep your hair off your face. This will open your cheekbones, jaw and eyes. You can wear your hair either long or short, just be sure to have a few layers that you can use to create some volume on top of your head. This will make your face appear longer and slimmer. Try using a round brush and blow-drying your hair on a low speed so you can build body slowly as you dry. Blow-drying with your head upside down is also a great way to create volume. Make sure your hair isn't too full on the sides though. This will only accentuate the round shape you're trying to downplay.

*** Square Face Shape

If your face shape is: Square -- with strong jawline and hairline

* DOs: Take the edge off with a softening style featuring a side part and length at nape of neck.

* DON'TS: Don't center-part hair or cut square, straight bangs. Avoid geometric lines.

* NOTES: If you have a square face, don't cut your hair too short. You want to keep length in the back. You can also do a few bangs, but they should be soft and wispy, not straight across. To foster the illusion of a rounder face, create volume on the top and the sides. I recommend blow-drying your hair upside down, always on a low speed. Velcro rollers are also an easy and effective way to create soft, bouncy waves that help soften a square, angular face.

*** Oval Face Shape

If your face shape is: Oval -- jawline narrower than temples, rounded hairline

* DOs: Add volume to the top of head to slim.

* DON'TS: Stay away from a spiky and short topside. Avoid width or volume on sides.

* NOTES: If you have an oval face, many styles can work for you. You can go either short or long, but keep your hair mostly all one length. Too many layers can create a lot of volume. Many women with oval faces also have small faces and high-volume hair can be overwhelming. Long, wispy bangs are generally very flattering if you have an oval face shape.

*** Long Face Shape

If your face shape is: Long -- narrow jawline and hairline

* DOs: Layer it on for fullness on sides.

* DON'TS: Skip short cuts, jaw-length bobs, or styles that add height on top.

* NOTES: The one haircut you should avoid if you have a long face is a bob. A short, blunt cut, especially where the hair comes to the corner of your mouth, will accentuate the length of your face, particularly in the chin area. You should also avoid short bangs and volume on top. Instead, create volume on the sides. The best way to achieve this look is either to blow-dry on a low speed with a round brush or use large Velcro rollers around your face. Velcro rollers can be used after your hair is dry. Just heat them up with your hair dryer and let them cool for about 15 minutes. Also, try to keep your hair off your face as much as possible. This will open up your features and make your face appear fuller.

*** Heart Face Shape

If your face shape is: Heart -- wide temples and hairline, narrowing at chin

* DOs: Try bangs and a length that frames the jawline, adding width.

* DON'TS: Don't go too short at the nape of the neck.

A very pretty one!
wink.gif
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Trisha

I always wonder about this, thanks for posting this Diane
Everyone, what face shape dya think I have?? (see pics below)

Trisha, I would say either oval or long ... somewhere I found a website that actually had you measure parts of your face to exactly determine your shape!

I actually have a square face with a prominent jawline (for a girl anyway) -- no wonder I looked like a boy when I got a short haircut (ie. just above my earlobes) a while back! However adding volume to the sides as the article suggests actually just makes my face look fat -- I had a chin-length haircut with most of the volume at my chin/cheek area, and looking back at pictures my face looked so fat! I think shoulder-length hair with long layers seems to work best on me...

I think the moral of the story is that articles like that are good general guidelines that you can start with to get ideas, but you may need to tweak the hairstyle a little bit for the best look for your face!
biggrin.gif

Welcome!
smile.gif
I think you have an Oval face.
icon_smile.gif

Originally Posted by Trisha I always wonder about this, thanks for posting this Diane

Originally Posted by Trisha I always wonder about this, thanks for posting this Diane

I'd go for oval too, Trish.

I don't know mine shape is it oval?? or Round??
icon_sad.gif

Originally Posted by Lealabell I'd go for oval too, Trish.

Latest posts

Back