Best highlighters?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

Joined
Jun 21, 2012
Messages
260
Reaction score
0
I'm looking for a new highlighter. I was wondering which one you guys love the most! It can be drugstore or high end :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

 
Joined
Mar 20, 2008
Messages
2,726
Reaction score
34
The one I like the most is by ELF, called Gotta Glow. It's a dupe for Nars Albatross. It's a really light gold and I like it for my brow bone, cheek, and cupid's bow highlight.

 
Joined
Jul 20, 2012
Messages
69
Reaction score
0
I really like to use Benefit's Dandelion blush as a subtle highlighter. They also make a Girl Meets Pearl highlighter that gives an even better glow.

 
Joined
Jul 19, 2012
Messages
7
Reaction score
1
I've recently fallen in love with the L'Oreal Lumi Touch Primer, and Benefit's High Beam. They are both liquid, but set really well, give a great natural glow, and last me a whole day!

 
Joined
Jun 21, 2012
Messages
260
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by Beautiijunkii /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The one I like the most is by ELF, called Gotta Glow. It's a dupe for Nars Albatross. It's a really light gold and I like it for my brow bone, cheek, and cupid's bow highlight.
Is that one a liquid or a powder?

 
Joined
Jun 21, 2012
Messages
260
Reaction score
0
Thanks for your suggestions girls! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I might try high beam because I keep on hearing its everyone's favorite!

 
Joined
May 3, 2010
Messages
7,095
Reaction score
100
If your skin has pink undertone go with high beam but if you have yellow undertone, get moon beam. The ELF gotta glow is a pressed powder...it's in the blush section.

 
Joined
Jun 21, 2012
Messages
260
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by divadoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If your skin has pink undertone go with high beam but if you have yellow undertone, get moon beam.

The ELF gotta glow is a pressed powder...it's in the blush section.
I have a yellow undertone, so thanks thats helpful! I did hear that I should get moon beam instead for my skin tone. Nice, I'm going to get the ELF too, because I need a powder and a liquid. 

 
Joined
Feb 24, 2012
Messages
417
Reaction score
9
Oh gosh, I have so many highlighters now...

Right now, and yes it changes based on the lunar cycle or something, I like powders and love my NARS Albatross.  It adds a nice glow without being overwhelming and looks nice on tan skin.  

My takes on the others I have:

- Benefit Moonbeam:  Too much for day use.  Can be hard to apply.  If applied right, looks amazing though.

- NARS Illuminator (Copacabana):  Easier to apply than Moonbeam.  Almost as pretty IMO.  Can get away for day use if careful.

- NAR Illuminator (Laguna): Not really a highlighter but adds a nice glow to cheeks if used sparingly.  Looks oily by mid-afternoon though so have blotting papers in hand.

- theBalm Mary Lou - Pretty shiny.  Apply very lightly and it's pretty cool.  Lots and lots of product.  For me it's more for winter.

- NARS Albatross - So pretty.  Easy to apply lightly.  Great for summer.

- NARS Hungry Heart - A little glittery.  Better in winter IMO.  

- Urban Decay Wicked - It's still on their website for $6.00.  Reminds me of Moonbeam but more day friendly.  Easy to apply but wears off quickly too.  

- Urban Decay Moonshine - Woah!  This one has some neat affects if in the right lighting.  Definitely a night time shade and probably better on lighter skin tones.  Easy to blend and apply but wears off after a few hours.  But PRETTY.

- Urban Decay Brown Sugar - I like this one the best.  Blends in, adds some sparkle.  Again low wear time but it's awesome for casual daytime use.  

I *think* (hope!) that is all the highlighters I have!  I do tend to like the powders or creams more, the liquid ones that you apply with a brush (like Benefit's) seem harder to apply and blend - but they are more potent so...

 
Joined
Feb 24, 2012
Messages
417
Reaction score
9
Oh...and I have a sample of Benefit's Dandelion.  Like someone else mentioned, I've tried that as a sheer highlighter and it's really nice that way on me, especially with a peachy/pink blush.

 
Joined
Jun 8, 2012
Messages
1,282
Reaction score
25
Location
Los Angeles/ San Francisco
Originally Posted by denise89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks for your suggestions girls! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I might try high beam because I keep on hearing its everyone's favorite!
When I use high beam, I sometimes like to blend it with benetint. It sounds weird, but if you dont put too much on, It actually looks pretty good, like a nice pinky glow thats lighly shimmery. When you over apply highbeam, you look a bit frosty. But personally, Im not a big highlighter person. I would say if you want to try highbeam, check out legally bronze by benefit, an exclusive set to sephora. and it includes a full sized high beam and gilded a discontinued tequlla gold colored highlighter(my fav) plus a full sized mascara and a full sized hoola for $38. Or if you want to try dandelion and highbeam, try benefits feeling dandy kit which has both plus posie tint and the dandelion lip for $28. I would recommend legally bronze, but its up to you.

http://www.sephora.com/product/productDetail.jsp?skuId=1221449&productId=P255605&keyword=BENEFIT%20COSMETICS%20Legally%20Bronze%20%20-%20P255605&_requestid=132724    Legally bronze

http://www.sephora.com/product/productDetail.jsp?skuId=1435619&productId=P375247&keyword=BENEFIT%20COSMETICS%20Feelin%27%20Dandy%20Lip%20%26%20Cheek%20Kit%20-%20P375247&_requestid=132796   Feeling dandy, but it hasnt come out yet. Sometime early next month.

Hope this helps :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

 
Joined
Jun 21, 2012
Messages
260
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by LAtPoly /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Oh gosh, I have so many highlighters now...

Right now, and yes it changes based on the lunar cycle or something, I like powders and love my NARS Albatross.  It adds a nice glow without being overwhelming and looks nice on tan skin.  

My takes on the others I have:

- Benefit Moonbeam:  Too much for day use.  Can be hard to apply.  If applied right, looks amazing though.

- NARS Illuminator (Copacabana):  Easier to apply than Moonbeam.  Almost as pretty IMO.  Can get away for day use if careful.

- NAR Illuminator (Laguna): Not really a highlighter but adds a nice glow to cheeks if used sparingly.  Looks oily by mid-afternoon though so have blotting papers in hand.

- theBalm Mary Lou - Pretty shiny.  Apply very lightly and it's pretty cool.  Lots and lots of product.  For me it's more for winter.

- NARS Albatross - So pretty.  Easy to apply lightly.  Great for summer.

- NARS Hungry Heart - A little glittery.  Better in winter IMO.  

- Urban Decay Wicked - It's still on their website for $6.00.  Reminds me of Moonbeam but more day friendly.  Easy to apply but wears off quickly too.  

- Urban Decay Moonshine - Woah!  This one has some neat affects if in the right lighting.  Definitely a night time shade and probably better on lighter skin tones.  Easy to blend and apply but wears off after a few hours.  But PRETTY.

- Urban Decay Brown Sugar - I like this one the best.  Blends in, adds some sparkle.  Again low wear time but it's awesome for casual daytime use.  

I *think* (hope!) that is all the highlighters I have!  I do tend to like the powders or creams more, the liquid ones that you apply with a brush (like Benefit's) seem harder to apply and blend - but they are more potent so...
Wow, you have a lot! Really descriptive take on these highlighters, much thanks!! I like variety :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I was thinking that high beam did look hard to apply, because I saw it in the store and was wondering how I would apply it. I never heard of the Urban Decay brown sugar but with your review and some searches online it sounds pretty good!

Edit- I saw the Urban Decay wicked online but they ran out of Brown sugar, do you know where I can find it?

 
Joined
Jun 21, 2012
Messages
260
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by Missglammygirl /img/forum/go_quote.gif

When I use high beam, I sometimes like to blend it with benetint. It sounds weird, but if you dont put too much on, It actually looks pretty good, like a nice pinky glow thats lighly shimmery. When you over apply highbeam, you look a bit frosty. But personally, Im not a big highlighter person. I would say if you want to try highbeam, check out legally bronze by benefit, an exclusive set to sephora. and it includes a full sized high beam and gilded a discontinued tequlla gold colored highlighter(my fav) plus a full sized mascara and a full sized hoola for $38. Or if you want to try dandelion and highbeam, try benefits feeling dandy kit which has both plus posie tint and the dandelion lip for $28. I would recommend legally bronze, but its up to you.

http://www.sephora.com/product/productDetail.jsp?skuId=1221449&productId=P255605&keyword=BENEFIT%20COSMETICS%20Legally%20Bronze%20%20-%20P255605&_requestid=132724    Legally bronze

http://www.sephora.com/product/productDetail.jsp?skuId=1435619&productId=P375247&keyword=BENEFIT%20COSMETICS%20Feelin%27%20Dandy%20Lip%20%26%20Cheek%20Kit%20-%20P375247&_requestid=132796   Feeling dandy, but it hasnt come out yet. Sometime early next month.

Hope this helps :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
I agree high beam seems like it would look weird on my skin tone, probably one with a gold tone. I had gilded before and I loved it! Too bad they discontinued it :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I wanted to get the dandy kit or the coralista one but it seems they sold out and your right they will be selling it next month! But I'm too impatient lol. So legally bronze would be one of my options, thanks a lot!!!

-Just saw the legally bronze kit online it looks like a such a good deal!

 
Joined
Jan 4, 2012
Messages
540
Reaction score
11
The one I use daily, is The Balm marylou.  I use it on each side of my nose, which is a trick I picked up from watching Mally.  It gives a nice contour.  I use Nars copacabana illuminator on my cheekbones, every now and again, which also is beautiful.

 
Joined
Jun 7, 2012
Messages
104
Reaction score
2
Originally Posted by Beautiijunkii /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The one I like the most is by ELF, called Gotta Glow. It's a dupe for Nars Albatross. It's a really light gold and I like it for my brow bone, cheek, and cupid's bow highlight.
SECOND! The glitter/shimmer is a little bit bigger than Albatross but otherwise I didn't notice too much difference in color. I still love my NARS wayyyy more, but for regular night time, I usually grab ELF. ELF also makes a concealer/highlighter thing that has a pretty nice matte liquid HL if you're into that haha.

Also, I had UD Wicked, and returned it. Super duper chunky and glittery....didn't like it at all.

 
Joined
May 24, 2011
Messages
127
Reaction score
3
I have No 7. Highlight lotion which is an exact dupe for Benefits highbeam with three times the product and only for 13 bucks! I love it! It gives off a shimmery pearly highlight. 

 
Joined
Jun 21, 2012
Messages
260
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by Hellocat4 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The one I use daily, is The Balm marylou.  I use it on each side of my nose, which is a trick I picked up from watching Mally.  It gives a nice contour.  I use Nars copacabana illuminator on my cheekbones, every now and again, which also is beautiful.
I really wanted the balm marylou as my first choice but I cant find it in any stores, only online! Do you happen to know where they sell them?

 
Top