Best highlighters?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by nkjm /img/forum/go_quote.gif

SECOND! The glitter/shimmer is a little bit bigger than Albatross but otherwise I didn't notice too much difference in color. I still love my NARS wayyyy more, but for regular night time, I usually grab ELF. ELF also makes a concealer/highlighter thing that has a pretty nice matte liquid HL if you're into that haha.

Also, I had UD Wicked, and returned it. Super duper chunky and glittery....didn't like it at all.
I might just get ELF because its so cheap and try it out, thanks for the advice!

the mary lou manizer is definitely my HG highlighter! I got it for $10 in a set from TJ Maxx, but that was like half a year ago. occasionally, TheBalm products will show up at discount stores like Marshalls/TJ Maxx, but I haven't seen their stuff there in months. You can get it from nordstroms or amazon.com, but sephora no longer carries it.

I've been pleasantly surprised by all the ELF cheek products I've tried, so I would check them out first. I compared an old ELF studio blush to a Benefit powder blush I just got, and I found the ELF one was more finely milled (glitter was less chunky) and better pigmented. but the quality of ELF stuff seems to fluctuate--the $1 brushes I got  a few years ago are soo much better than the ones I see at target.

Originally Posted by denise89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I really wanted the balm marylou as my first choice but I cant find it in any stores, only online! Do you happen to know where they sell them?

I agree high beam seems like it would look weird on my skin tone, probably one with a gold tone. I had gilded before and I loved it! Too bad they discontinued it :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I wanted to get the dandy kit or the coralista one but it seems they sold out and your right they will be selling it next month! But I'm too impatient lol. So legally bronze would be one of my options, thanks a lot!!!

-Just saw the legally bronze kit online it looks like a such a good deal!
Gilded is on ebay for like $6. But if you want to maybe try highbeam, then picking it up in the set might be better for you.

BECCA Shimmering Skin Perfector in whatever color will suit your skintone. Seriously amazing stuff! It adds the perfect glowy sheen to your skin in the most natural way. Can't say enough about how much I love it!

This is my first post! 
laughing.gif

It seems like I have tried 39384028 different highlighters and my favorite one so far is MAC Soft and Gentle. Just a very little bit goes a long way and it adds such a natural glow. It looks amazing on top of foundation or just alone. I am very fair in the fall/winter and tan in the summer and it looks great either way.

I went around Sephora jumping from the Benefit section and the NARS sections trying out all their highlighters trying to find the right one for me and I ended up with MoonBeam

I found the NARS highlighters to have too much shimmer for my taste and between HighBeam, Watts Up, Girl Meets Pearl I felt that MoonBeam has a different type of shimmer...its more of an iridescent glow and the color suited my skin tone better.

I really wanted the balm marylou as my first choice but I cant find it in any stores, only online! Do you happen to know where they sell them?
I got my thebalm marylou on Hautelook... it seems to be on there pretty frequently every 2 months or so.. they just had it on there last week i believe so probably in a couple months it'll pop up on there again.  Not sure what store would have it though. 

I found albatross too chunky. I have ELF Gotta.Glow. I love it. It's subtle but gives you the look of a nice complexion.

Like others I absolutely love theBalm Mary-LouManizer, it gives such a nice glow without chunky glitter. Because it's golden-ish I think it really looks amazing on warm skin tones. Also, I have a yellow undertone as well and I find High Beam to be great! I just apply the smallest amount and blend, it can look really subtle and glowy if you're careful not to overdo it. Benefit always has High Beam mini's in their kits so it's a good idea to try it out first!

Subtle: Lancome's Eclat Miracle

Bolder: Benefit's High Beam

All over: Estee Lauder's 5-tone Shimmer powder

Originally Posted by blushingsooner /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I got my thebalm marylou on Hautelook... it seems to be on there pretty frequently every 2 months or so.. they just had it on there last week i believe so probably in a couple months it'll pop up on there again.  Not sure what store would have it though. 
I saw it on Hautelook too! I missed my chances of buying it because I heard it takes 4 weeks to receive your order and I need a highlighter now for my make-up looks. I wish they sold it in stores because with shipping its a lot more expensive.

Originally Posted by SunYoung /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Like others I absolutely love theBalm Mary-LouManizer, it gives such a nice glow without chunky glitter. Because it's golden-ish I think it really looks amazing on warm skin tones. Also, I have a yellow undertone as well and I find High Beam to be great! I just apply the smallest amount and blend, it can look really subtle and glowy if you're careful not to overdo it. Benefit always has High Beam mini's in their kits so it's a good idea to try it out first!
Good to hear it works with yellow undertones too! I've been hearing great things about it but yea I do want to get a kit first with the mini one just in case I do not like it. Thanks!

Too Faced Candlelight Glow Duo, a very nice iridescent shine with no glitter, Nars Albatross is very pigmented so a light hand is needed but it's so beautiful, and Mac's Vanilla pigment. I love these three. I'd also recommend the Mac mineralized skin finishes but my favorites are discontinued (Refined & Champagne.)

Edit: I forgot to mention Illamasqua highlighter in Halcyon. It's a highly highly pigmented creamy liquid highlighter that comes in a squeeze tube like their lipglosses. It's so pigmented and dries quickly so you have to be careful with it but it's last all day. Amazing product.

I'm not a huge fan of the liquid highlights (High/Moon Beam), but Benefit Watt's Up is one of my favorites. I reach for that, theBalm Mary Lou-Manizer and MAC Soft & Gentle MSF regularly.

I really like NARS Illuminator in Orgasm, Benefit High Beam, the Philosophy illuminator (the ones that were @ Big Lots for $3 a while ago), the Becca skin perfectors, and the E.L.F. Shimmering Facial Whips. I'm on the last leg of my NARS one, so I would prob say that it is my favorite:)

Originally Posted by MKCurio /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I went around Sephora jumping from the Benefit section and the NARS sections trying out all their highlighters trying to find the right one for me and I ended up with MoonBeam

I found the NARS highlighters to have too much shimmer for my taste and between HighBeam, Watts Up, Girl Meets Pearl I felt that MoonBeam has a different type of shimmer...its more of an iridescent glow and the color suited my skin tone better.
What kind of skin tone do you have? I'm stuck between high beam, moon beam, or sun beam.

i absolutely love hands down benefit's watts up! i have combination skin and it just looks stunning on, a nice soft glow. i also love mac's too chic beauty powder; love the texture and not too heavy on the shimmers. guerlain makes some great items too, a little pricy but well worth it!

I see it all the time at TJ Maxx. Also, sign up for HauteLook.com and wait for the next event (theBalm is on there every couple of months, half price).

I have tried both Moon Beam and Sun Beam.  I also found them to be hard to blend. I love Nars Orgasm Illuminator.  It gives a nice glow. Lately though, I've been using Bobbi Brown's Shimmer Brick in Rose Gold. It's a powder but I have found it to be very easy to blend.  I bought the Nars All about Cheeks Palette and it included Hungry Heart as the highlighter, I hate it! It's very glittery (much like Super Orgasm - which I also hate). 

I do want to try the ELF Gotta Glow now after reading the comments.

Back