Best Make Up Books

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CLEARLY Kevyn Aucoin's FACE FORWARD and MAKING FACES are my favorites.

I'm also partial to an ANCIENT book called COLOR BY QUANT (by Mary Quant), THE COMPLETE BEAUTY BIBLE (by Paula Begoun), BEAUTY: THE NEW BASICS (by Rona Berg).

I do NOT like Bobbi Brown's books, for some reason. Maybe it's because I'm just not into quite THAT natural of a look ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I have Bobbi Brown Makeup Manual: From Beginner to Pro which I thought was helpful but my all time favorite is About Face by Scott Barnes.

We stopped by the used book store this evening. Picked up Making Faces, yay!

Please tell me how you like the book, this thread is making me want to pick up a makeup book. I have learned about makeup from google searches, blogs, and mainly from my mistakes.

I have Kevyn's "Face Forward" permanently placed on my makeup table.  I love that book!

Forgot to mention a book by Stan Campbell Place called The Art and Science of Professional Makeup. I love this book because it is very helpful to me as a makeup artist, but it is extremely technical. Definitely best for the hard core makeup crazies out there like me!

The only makeup book I have is Kevyn Aucoin's Making Faces, and I love it. I wanna get my hands on a Bobbi Brown book.

One that I like a lot is Makeup Makeovers by Robert Jones, lots of ideas and information on color selection and it explains a lot about all the different types of makeup products and how they're used, as well as basic information on brushes and tools. It focuses more on looks that can be worn for every day instead of the more glamorous, special event looks in books like Kevin Aucoin's.

I also have some older books that are very good. A couple that address correcting specific problems (particularly the second book) are by Michael Maron: Instant Makeover Magic and Makeover Miracles, both are available on Amazon. The first of his books was written way back in the 1980's but I feel that current makeup styles have a lot in common with '80's makeup, so it still has value, particularly if you can find a used copy for cheap.  Another one along those lines but a little more new is Plastic Surgery Without the Surgery, The Miracle of Makeup Techniques by Eve Pearl.

Kevin Aucoin's books are brilliant too, I have them also, more for the inspiration than anything. He was truly a genius.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I see my library growing quite a bit. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I finished reading Making Faces and I loved all the looks he did in it! I could very well see myself using each of the tips outlined. I'm going to be heading to the used book store and picking up Faces Forward next week!

I just got Makeup Faces last month after wanting it for over a year. Is a great book!

I also, while this sounds strange, liked Victoria Principals Beauty Principle. Picked it up used when I was a teenager and never got rid of it. Has many things besides just makeup like skin care, etc., but I enjoy the makeup tips quite a bit, although its a smaller section.

And, I always did enjoy the generic Color Me Beautiful. Picking by colors can make a big difference, especially with clothes I've found.

MAKEUP THE ULTIMATE GUIDE BY RAE MORRIS is good too. Funny, i started reading it again today :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Gossmakeupartist made a video of some great makeup books you might wanna check.

He makes great advices and most of what ive learned from him came from the books he recommended.

The best makeup books you can buy!

Rae Morris Makeup The Ultimate Guide
Rae Morris Express Makeup
Makeup Designer Makeup Book
Scott Barnes About Face
NARS Express Makeup
Kevyn Aucoin A Beautiful Life
Robert Jones Makeup In 5 10 15 20 Minutes

I'm also a huge fan of Kevyn Aucoin. I'll have to look into the Rae Morris books too!

Calexxia, the Color By Quant book sounds really cool! I like Mary Quant's work and would love to read a book that she's written, even if it's decades old :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />.

Latest posts

Back