Best Make-up (Routine) for Older Girls?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Over the years, my make-up routine has changed because my needs have changed. Since I've turned 34 years old--and developed a few character lines in my face along the way--I've had to seek out new kinds of make-up and routines.

I now use moisturizer faithfully, concealer even running to the corner store, and I've gone a little sheerer with my foundation because I can't have thick foundation settling into my smile lines--oops, 'xcuse me, character lines!

Anyway, I have to share one product that I hadn't given much thought to before. I've strayed a little and always come back to this pressed power: L'Oreal Visible Lift - line minimizing power is truly amazing. It's very fine and does NOT settle into those lines and craters, not to mention I get so many compliments when I wear it, which was just yesterday at an art function. Two thumbs up!

What's your secret weapon for defying the "look" of aging?

for me it's concealor. i found one that matches exactly and now i can get that flawless look even though my skin is by no means flawless! lol~

Originally Posted by monniej /img/forum/go_quote.gif for me it's concealor. i found one that matches exactly and now i can get that flawless look even though my skin is by no means flawless! lol~ I did a make-up check in the bathroom at the function. I was in the mirror fluffing my hair, and a woman all of 25 years old said, "You look flawless!" That made me feel fantastic! And I had on my make-up for at least five hours.
laughing.gif
After I got my composure, I said, "Trust me. I wear a lot of make-up to achieve a no make-up look."
rotfl.gif

Originally Posted by Make-up_Hawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
laughing.gif
After I got my composure, I said, "Trust me. I wear a lot of make-up to achieve a no make-up look."
rotfl.gif
hey, you stole my line! lol~

Finishing powder is my secret. Foundations are wonderful, yes, and concealer is a sweet friend of mine. But for this still-oily skin, finishing powder that gives a smooth, airbrushed look without a lot of opacity is a must. My favorites come from Aromaleigh. Especially Illuminator, for a gentle, delicate airbrushed glow, no shine or gleam or glimmer, just clean, fresh, healthy, PORELESS skin.

I swear - I can be holding my grandson and people will come up and tell me how great I look for just having had a baby. Now that's a great feeling!

-b.

Originally Posted by bmichlig /img/forum/go_quote.gif ... My favorites come from Aromaleigh. Especially Illuminator, for a gentle, delicate airbrushed glow, no shine or gleam or glimmer, just clean, fresh, healthy, PORELESS skin. ...
-b.

Interestingly, I've been thinking about some kind of illuminator or highlighter for the upper cheeks. I've just gotten into face primer, which is divine! I use Smashbox.
I've been thinking that I need to concentrate more on nightly regimens. Some kind of anti-aging eye cream would be lovely. Anything anyone swear by?

I love the TimeLess line from Ahava - they make a beautiful serum plus an eye treatment that are to die for, and realtively reasonably priced. I also like their regular Source mineral eye cream - way better than I liked a super expensive Sisley or La Prairie eye cream I tried once.

Yeah- skin care is so important. SUNBLOCK AT ALL TIMES will keep your skin in great condition, too.

I'll be 39 yrs. old in November. My secret weapons are sunscreen, moisturizer, and a skin matching concealor.

for cleansing I use

anything gentle and water based combined with baking soda(as a scrub). It works well, and I have always gotten compliments on my skin.

I use an estrogen cream on my face and neck.

I have started using that monistat chafing gel (as a primer ) under my makeup. I love it. It goes on so nice and really helps hold in moisture.

I use a cream eye shadow and I don't use any frosted or metallic tones. they will accentuate any lines you have . Same goes for lipstick. I stay with neutral tones or pink ones and no frosted lipstick. I use the instant line erasers under eyes . they work nicely.

I have found as I have gotten older , powder is very important. I always use powder now. I almost never used it when younger.

if you are around menopause or so, have your thyroid checked, a lot of women have thyroid problems and it can really effect skin appearance. also have hormones checked. it may be time for a little estrogen.

(not everyone can take estrogen- check with doctor)

Originally Posted by rocki /img/forum/go_quote.gif if you are around menopause or so, have your thyroid checked, a lot of women have thyroid problems and it can really effect skin appearance. also have hormones checked. it may be time for a little estrogen. (not everyone can take estrogen- check with doctor)

great advice rocki!
a while ago i decided to leave the dramatic shadows to the younger ladies. not so attractive on aging skin. i just want to look like myself only tweeked. no bells and whistles, just clean, clear and glowing.

I do a few photoshoots a month and really need to study the makeup side of the buisness. My wife does a great job but we both need to learn more.

I will be 34 in November. My key is proper skincare and proper blending of makeup

Well..I'm 26, but all about prevention. My secret weapon is Olive Oil to moisturize, a good eye cream and NO powder.

Originally Posted by L281173 /img/forum/go_quote.gif I will be 34 in November. My key is proper skincare and proper blending of makeup i think you're on to something here! i do find myself spending much more on skincare than on makeup these days.

As you get older and wiser
smile.gif
hair color and cut become very important. Those gray roots are not very pretty on most people. Also the correct hair cut and style are so important. I ignored everything they used to say about cutting your hair short as you get past 40- I wear mine long. However, I now do not go below top of shoulder. I find that anything longer makes my hair look thinner and ages me.

If I had one wish it would be for my own personal hairdresser. A gift from heaven.

i think i'm starting to be ok with the grey in my hair. hair color has been pretty harsh on my hair so i can pass on that. it's the grey in my eyebrows that create problems. i always though brow gel was kind of a joke. guess who's not laughing anymore!

also water, water, water. i get so dehydrated and my skin looks just aweful. 64oz of purified water a day and a supplement help greatly in my skincare regime! putting makeup on bad skin is just scary!

Originally Posted by rocki /img/forum/go_quote.gif As you get older and wiser
smile.gif
hair color and cut become very important. Those gray roots are not very pretty on most people. Also the correct hair cut and style are so important. I ignored everything they used to say about cutting your hair short as you get past 40- I wear mine long. However, I now do not go below top of shoulder. I find that anything longer makes my hair look thinner and ages me. If I had one wish it would be for my own personal hairdresser. A gift from heaven.

My mom is in her mid 50s and her hair is past her shoulders. It looks nice, but I don't have an opinion one way or the other about older women and longer hair. I've had my hair short for over five years, but I've always gone for "neat" hair.

this is such a great thread.

i'm turning 35 next month and these are great suggestions.

I'll be printing this out to refer to.

thank you.

Thanks for the advice, I also will be 34 in november and I am starting to get a bit paranoid about fine lines being accentuated..

Originally Posted by rocki /img/forum/go_quote.gif for cleansing I useanything gentle and water based combined with baking soda(as a scrub). It works well, and I have always gotten compliments on my skin.

I use an estrogen cream on my face and neck.

I have started using that monistat chafing gel (as a primer ) under my makeup. I love it. It goes on so nice and really helps hold in moisture.

I use a cream eye shadow and I don't use any frosted or metallic tones. they will accentuate any lines you have . Same goes for lipstick. I stay with neutral tones or pink ones and no frosted lipstick. I use the instant line erasers under eyes . they work nicely.

I have found as I have gotten older , powder is very important. I always use powder now. I almost never used it when younger.

if you are around menopause or so, have your thyroid checked, a lot of women have thyroid problems and it can really effect skin appearance. also have hormones checked. it may be time for a little estrogen.

(not everyone can take estrogen- check with doctor)

which creme eyeshadows do you use? colors?

Latest posts

Back