Best older Julep colors?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm new to MUT, hi everyone!  I haven't used my gift voucher for the free polish and I don't know what to get.  I've only been subscribing to Julep since May, so I'm curious about what everyone's favorite colors are, and which ones aren't too thick or runny (I've had problems with both).  I somehow lucked into the June golden box, so I have all of those.  Hayden maybe?

It's hard to say since polish preferences tend to be so personal color-wise...

I've only been a subscriber since May also, and some of my favorites are the ones I got in my It Girl intro box: Helena and Mandy. Mandy, especially, is a color that is totally not me, but I fell in love with it anyway. Formula-wise, those are two of the most fantastic creme polishes I have ever tried.

I also got lucky with the Cinco De Mayo mystery box and got a bunch of polishes, although I ended up giving several away. My favorite from that batch was Taylor. I wore it again last weekend and fell in love with it all over again. However, it does do this weird thing where after about 3 days the color seems to fade and become a lot less vibrant (not sure if reapplying top coat helps; I didn't think to try it until it was too late).

Vanessa, the glitter top coat, is actually the one from my mystery box that I've used the most... I've used it in probably over half my manicures since, usually for accent nails. It's a lot of fun and the periwinkle glitter in particular is unusual and awesome (though it's tricky to find a good base color that works well with it). It goes on fairly easily but, like any glitter, it's a pain to remove.

I also got Marisa in that batch and although I've only swatched it because it's too dark of a color for summer, I really liked it. Formula-wise definitely a lot trickier though; kind of thick and goopy. I'll probably thin it before I try to wear it.

What colors do you normally like? What would you be more comfortable using? What colors do you want to avoid and would never wear?

Hi, Zadidoll!  Thanks for your response, I somehow missed it in my email notifications.  I am a polish addict, I can totally relate to the paragraph under your name.  I have a long standing love of vampy colors, but also love grayed out shades and corals, so I guess I get sucked in to whatever the latest trend is.  I guess I was just wondering if there are certain shades that everyone seems to keep mentioning over and over, since in my (short) experience you can't always get a good feel for what the julep polishes are like just by the pictures on the website.  I am also always looking for something unique that, as a fellow addict, I don't already have a million dupes of...does that help? 

I did end up using my coupon for Hayden, but I'm still interested in an answer if you can think if anything!  Thanks!

Thank you xiehan!  These are all great details, definitely the kind of information I look for when trying to decide what to get.  I really wish Julep polishes were as great formula-wise as the service is.  I find so many of the polishes to be hard to work with, either really runny or really goopy.  If they could get their formula straight, I really would pay $14 for a teeny bottle of polish since I love the colors.  

Originally Posted by lauradiniwilk /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thank you xiehan!  These are all great details, definitely the kind of information I look for when trying to decide what to get.  I really wish Julep polishes were as great formula-wise as the service is.  I find so many of the polishes to be hard to work with, either really runny or really goopy.  If they could get their formula straight, I really would pay $14 for a teeny bottle of polish since I love the colors.  
If you like darker colors, I'd definitely recommend checking out Helena if you didn't already get that one in your intro box. It's not vampy, but it is so bright and vibrant that it's very unique. And formula-wise, I'd say it's perfection.

Back