Best primers?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been looking for good primer's for ages now, researching the best ones and what not but never really got very far :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

What is everyones favourites that they just love? 

I've tried a bunch (MAC, Smashbox, Sephora, Cover FX and assorted samples).  I feel like I waste more than I actually apply on my face, regardless of how I apply it.

I was at Victoria's Secret recently and they have Face Prime, which is a spray instead of a tube-based cream.  It seems to be working great for me (dry combo, senstive, acne-prone) and has helped my makeup stay in place.  It retails for $12 CAD here and you get a lot of product.

HTH! 

The best I've found is Clarins Instant Smooth Perfecting Touch.  It's pricey at $32, but it's super thick like a paste and a tiny amount covers your whole face.  I have really large pores and it's the only primer I've found that actually fills them in.  All the primers I've tried that have a similar consistency to moisturizer just don't do anything for me.

Victoria secret? Wow that's cool, I would try that If I lived in America, sadly we don't have a Victoria Secret in the UK yet. I think there may be one coming to London this year though so I'll keep an eye open! 

I've heard good things about Clarins actually I'll have to have a look next time I'm at a counter. 

Thank you both :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

I use ELF's $6 (I buy it on sale for $3) face primer and I really like it. It has a very oily feeling to it though, which I like because my skin is pretty dry. Doesn't make my skin oily, just has that thick oily feeling. I've used LaROCCA and Laura Geller, which are both semi-pricey, but still go back to my ELF for an everyday cheap fix. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I never thought of ELF. I tend to get a little oily toward the end of the day but I've always loved ELF so I'll give it a go. 

It's worth a whirl, thank you :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

Hi I have used a  few different primers and most ofthe cheap ones i have found too be either oily or sticky or dosent stay put! My favourite is Belle pierre satin primer. it goes on really light, You only need a little bit to go a long way and it lasts and makes your foundation go along way!! the only down fall is its $75 us. but you do get a fair bit for that price and i only use about half a nails worth. they are cruelty animal testing free. and they dont use harmful talc.

hm, I've never heard of that brand but I'm going to google it and see if we get it in the UK!

There are so many different brands, I think I'm going to buy a small selection of primers and just give them all a twirl. 

I hear Clinique is quite good, too?! 

Right now I'm using the NYX Pore Filler primer, I love it and it reminds me a lot of the Benefit Porefessional Primer which I used about a year ago.  Make Up For Ever HD primer is another one of my favorites!  I actually reach for that one over all the others I've tried so far. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by andreaaddicted /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Right now I'm using the NYX Pore Filler primer, I love it and it reminds me a lot of the Benefit Porefessional Primer which I used about a year ago.  Make Up For Ever HD primer is another one of my favorites!  I actually reach for that one over all the others I've tried so far. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
I wish I could justify paying 17.00 for the small travel size of the Make Up For Ever HD primer. I just wanna try it out. 

Originally Posted by calexxia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I swear by Benefit's POREFessional. On a good day, I can wear that with NO foundation and just look grand :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
I tried the Porefessional and it didn't seem to make much of a difference on my skin. I use my bb creams or Smashbox photo finish...my fave!

Originally Posted by MissLindaJean /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I tried the Porefessional and it didn't seem to make much of a difference on my skin. I use my bb creams or Smashbox photo finish...my fave!
Fair enough; everyone's face is gonna be different, which is why I tend to be hesitant when someone says that an item is their HG. I might try it, but I don't let myself get bummed if it doesn't work out.

And, yeah, I LOVE proper BB Creams, and was surprised that the L'Oreal one doesn't suck, for an American one ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Fair enough; everyone's face is gonna be different, which is why I tend to be hesitant when someone says that an item is their HG. I might try it, but I don't let myself get bummed if it doesn't work out.

And, yeah, I LOVE proper BB Creams, and was surprised that the L'Oreal one doesn't suck, for an American one ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
The L'Oreal, really? Might have to try it, especially since it's cheaper than the Dr. Jarts I've been using lol. Thanks, I'll have to try it! The Porefessional wasn't bad, but I didn't think it covered as much as I wanted. That's okay, though because I had a good sized sample. I still use it, but only around my nose area and with my bb cream for a fresh face. My Smashbox goes on for full foundation/concealer events.

Originally Posted by MissLindaJean /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The L'Oreal, really? Might have to try it, especially since it's cheaper than the Dr. Jarts I've been using lol. Thanks, I'll have to try it! The Porefessional wasn't bad, but I didn't think it covered as much as I wanted. That's okay, though because I had a good sized sample. I still use it, but only around my nose area and with my bb cream for a fresh face. My Smashbox goes on for full foundation/concealer events.
Try it...the in store displays DO have a tester. Again, it's not a PROPER BB, but it worked a lot better on me than I expected! I've also read some HORRIBLE reviews, which (again) goes back to not everything being right for everyone :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Try it...the in store displays DO have a tester. Again, it's not a PROPER BB, but it worked a lot better on me than I expected! I've also read some HORRIBLE reviews, which (again) goes back to not everything being right for everyone :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
I will and thanks; was debating where to buy some Dr. Jarts, but will wait and try this out. Since the weather's warming up, I'm trying to ease up and only use concealer and bb cream during the day! Great tip and this way, I'll save a few bucks lol.

I'm dying to try Makeup Forever. It's very very rare in the UK, but I'm hoping I'll pick some up at IMATS in London, or maybe someone I know can find it in a city. 

I also really want to try the Porefessional by Benefit, It seems like something that might work for me. 

I think it depends on what your putting over the primer. I noticed my mac primer works fine with power but not well with foundation. I recently splurged on the Smashbox bb cream and got a sample of their illuminating primer. Don't care for the powdery texture at all, but it works good under the bb cream. The med/light bb cream was too light for me so the primer made it look a bit better, not even sure how to explain it. So far my favorite is the MUFE HD primer. Doesn't seem to matter what I put over it, everything holds up well through the day. So far I have no complaints with it! As of now, this will be the one Ill be repurchasing in the future. 

I switch between 2. 

The first is just from Wal-Mart, it's the Hard Candy brand.  I got a sample size one in a kit they sold, and I LOVED it! It's clear.

I also use Laura Gellar Spackle in Bronze to add a little color.

I've also used Benefit's That Gal and really liked that too.  It's kind of a pinkish gold color.

Latest posts

Back