Best ways to learn makeup for yourself?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by sephoras girl /img/forum/go_quote.gif Geh...I alway see the women in the makeup counters with their makeup intact.

But when the apply makeup on the people it doesn't look good.

That's why I'm not too fond of department store makeup people where I live.

yeah ive seen MAs with some really scary make up on.
Also go on Youtube. Ive learned alot of techniques just by watching those videos.

This site definetly, you learn so many great tips, just check out all the tutorials. Also, just experiment when you have some free time, it takes practice and patience

Originally Posted by emily_3383 /img/forum/go_quote.gif yeah ive seen MAs with some really scary make up on.
Also go on Youtube. Ive learned alot of techniques just by watching those videos.

Agreed. I made it a point to ask for basic techniques and "everyday" looks. I actually did get quite lucky. Maybe, because I knew a lot of ladies working there due to my frequent visits and they didnt mind "coaching" me a little..

Practice practice practice. Also, exploit whatever resources you can. If you have Internet access, find breakdowns for looks you like, videos, tutorials. They're easy to search for. Try to find makeup artists whose work you admire and see if they have books or videos available - for me that means Alexis Vogel, Reggie Wells, Kevyn Aucoin, and the late Way Bandy. I'm also a big drag queen fan, lol.

Makeup counter makeovers are a mixed bag. I've had good ones and bad ones. If you try that route be sure to walk out of the store & at least look at your makeup in natural light before you buy anything.

Take a closer than usual look at what other women you run into everyday are wearing, what works & what doesn't.

And have fun with it. I think that's the most important of all.

Practice!!!
smile.gif

Hi,

Books by Kevyn Aucoin and Way Bandy are excellent. I also like the video by EvE Pearl called "Plastic Surgery Without The Surgery: The Miracle of Makeup Techniques.

if only i can find the time - a mom with 2 kids - 1 age 2 and 1 age 40 - time is a precious commodity...

the more u practice, the more u learn.try to experiment with different colours.

I spend hours of practicing till I get it just right then I start all over again.

Also sometimes I write down what I do to remember.

I watch a lot of youtube and usually practice when I'm home fri & sat night. Hopefully I'll get good someday.
biggrin.gif

I have all three of Kevyn Aucoin's books and they are all awesome for technique. I've given them to quite a few of my friends as gifts. Even the ones that are totally hopeless when it comes to makeup. LOL. The books all contain basic applications techniques from concealer all the way to mascara and have some great pictures. Nars' book is ok. I like the fact that it has transparency's that show all the regions where he applied the makeup and it what color. It's really good for showing how concealer can be used to change the shape of the nose and other contouring tricks. The picture all pretty bland though and the models could use a good going over with a pair of tweezers.

Latest posts

Back