Best ways to learn makeup for yourself?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by kaylin_marie /img/forum/go_quote.gif Ooh yes I second Kevyn Aucoin's Making Faces, I bought it when I was younger. Great book, timeless. I love this book!! I read years ago when i was just getting into makeup (13 or 14 yrs old) and I still love it to this day!! You just need to experiment and practice practice practice and then practice a bit more!!! Everytime I get home from work before I wash my face I play around and try new quick looks to experiment a bit. that way I can just wash it off right away!!

Basically it's all been said..practice, reading, viewing videos, and maybe even beauty school.

i watch tons of youtube makeup tutorials just because i like watching them. it's so fun.
smile.gif

I agree you have to practice I was horrible at eye shadow a few years ago... I would just put on eyeliner cause I didnt try to learn techniques

I would have never though of looking on YouTube. Duh! Thanks for stating the obvious for me.

To honest I have been practicing makeup for years and was never good till I started a makeup artist course. some how when applying eyeshadow/eyeliner it some what looked like my eyes where dropping a bit. Take a makeup course has been really helpful, learning how to apply on eyeshadow and eyeliner according to the shape of the eye, what colors to match, how to apply blush according to the shape of the face, mixing and blending colors. here are some great links to learn about colors that match, eye shape and more...:

http://teamsugar.com/files/images/color.jpeg

YouTube - Eyeshadow Photos.

Leaving MakeupTalk...

Hollywood Makeup Artist - Alexis Vogel

I got the makeup artist handbook from the library and it has a chapter on the color wheel.

I like the book.

Well like everyone said PRACTICE, I started going to youtube, where people post videos and watch and write down a few things or two and now here, which I think is a lot better, more people on here, so it helps me a whole lot. I also attend some of the MAC seminars and ask question and best of all I try to pay attention to details. One day I'll post a look and ask for help.

yea mac seminars are good..but nothing can substitute just practicing on your own and gaining experience and preference for your own personal makeup style.

Lighter is better. The following is a video that greatly helped me to understand how to do it properly. On weekends, I'd practice with different moisturizers, primer, colors and formulas until I finally found a combination that worked.

It was frustrating for awhile, but now I'm so much happier with the results. So hang in there!

Mineral Makeup Tips & Techniques | ExpertVillage Videos

Back