BET Awards - Spoilers

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Destiny's Child, Keys Win BET Awards

<!-- END HEADLINE --> <!-- BEGIN STORY BODY --> By RYAN PEARSON, Associated Press Writer 4 minutes ago

R&B newcomer John Legend joined established stars Alicia Keys and the soon-to-disband Destiny's Child as winners at Tuesday night's BET Awards.

Legend was named best new artist, a trophy the man who discovered him, Kanye West, won at last year's awards. Destiny's Child was named best group and Usher took the male R&B artist trophy.

Soul diva Alicia Keys hoisted her award for female R&B artist toward the audience and declared: "This is for all my people who are really trying to dream big dreams."

"Let's do it," she said. "Let's think big. Let's think beyond what these people are trying to hold us down to. Doctors, lawyers, engineers, musicians."

She also said backstage she was working on an "MTV Unplugged" live album to be released in October.

The show kicked off with a surprise reunion of The Fugees, who haven't recorded an album together since 1996's "The Score."

"If you want another Fugee album, let me see your hands in the air right now," Wyclef Jean said after climbing into the crowd. The group performed "Ready Or Not" and put a reggae twist on "Fu-Gee-La."

Lauryn Hill, who had largely dropped out of public view since her 2002 live album, sounded weak at first, saying at one point, "We got a little overzealous in rehearsal." Her voice returned in time for a rendition of "Killing Me Softly With His Song."

Hosts Mr. and Mrs. Smith — that's Will and Jada Pinkett — laid down the rules for the night's show at Hollywood's Kodak Theatre. They arrived on-stage in a horse-drawn carriage with spinning custom rims; Smith said they wanted to make the BET Awards on par with shows like "the Emmys, the Oscars, the Grammys, the Tonys."

"The white ones," Pinkett Smith added.

The first rule, according to Smith: "You don't need to come up here with all 15 people that you came with." "There is a three homeboy limit tonight, period," his wife added.

Also, "No bright suits and no gold goblets," Jada Pinkett Smith said. "This is not the pimp of the year awards." And finally, "Do not thank God if you can't show or perform your work in church."

Destiny's Child, Missy Elliott, The Game and Mary J. Blige were among the first performers. The Game carried his young son on stage and changed the lyrics to his song, "Hate It Or Love It," saying, "Got BET on the grill of my low-rider."

The women of Destiny's Child wore slinky brown dresses in their performance and pulled Nelly, Terence Howard and NBA legend Earvin "Magic" Johnson onstage for a trio of lap dances.

Jamie Foxx won the award for best actor, and though he wasn't on stage he had recorded an audio message to presenter Tom Cruise, saying: "I'm jumping up and down on the couch right now in my room."

Legend competes with West's "Jesus Walks" in the video category, with a nomination for "Ordinary People." The melodic song features Legend accompanying himself on piano with no additional instrumentation. He also was nominated for male R&B artist.

Other nominees in the video category — the night's final award — were Amerie for her catchy "1 Thing," Jay-Z's black-and-white "99 Problems" and Snoop Dogg and Pharrell's much-mimicked "Drop It Like It's Hot."

Denzel Washington and wife Pauletta were being honored with a humanitarian award and Gladys Knight was getting a lifetime achievement honor.

Winners of the fifth annual awards show were decided by a panel of executives from entertainment companies, record labels and the media, except the viewers' choice award in which fans voted online for their favorite video.

166cde73-9182-3f75-3d18-8f24f35d84e5-betawards2005_fb_jadawill.jpg

f01ab507-1a89-099f-0b38-3202fd3281a9-betawards2005_fb_eva.jpg

1000cef1-a416-ab21-6201-cefd4902b7aa-betawards2005_fb_johnlegend.jpg

c0b91488-2cc9-e11d-fe50-0a8abd656a71-betawards2005_fb_DCcommon.jpg

WTF!?!?!?!

e1e412a0-d499-ba58-59ec-7fb4d2ff9d61-betawards2005_fb_ciara.jpg

Will and Jada looked so cute,but now i cant look at them the same as before,Freaks,lol

Lauryn Hill's wig was dumb looking,but she did a great job!!
icon_biggrin.gif

Was that Ciara in that last picture looking like who done what to who?? Or some stray who wandered in front of the camera in their hula girl costume? Also, is it me or is Eva Pigford (sp) in too many places that don't include a catwalk? I mean, dang!!
icon_exclaim.gif

Originally Posted by Charmaine Yup, it's Ciara...I can't believe it! Usually she looks so cute in her videos, but I guess her stylist was on vacation. She should've gone to MuT first!
icon_cheesygrin.gif
Wow, what a disappointment. I saw some of her performance on the show and I was commenting on how she looked really good - but now I think I'll have to take that back!!..

Ok, so I was at most of the awards last night...and I have to say I was extremely disappointed. I go every year and it's getting progressively worse. The performances all sucked! Destiny's Child was cool, Stevie was great, Gladys and that whole set was cool. But just about every other singer lipsynched, even Mariah. I think maybe she's been having voice trouble lately because she struggled through the first part of her song and then the last part was so obviously a prerecorded overdub. I don't know how it sounded to TV viewers, but it sounded like crap in the theater. Ciara never sings live, cuz honestly-she really can't sing well at all(sorry fans, but even she'll tell you she's a dancer first, singer by chance). On top of the terrible performances, half of the nominees and winners weren't even there. AND I know who some of the "surprise" guests were supposed to be and NONE of them showed. I don't know what's up with BET, but even the friend of mine I went with who has their own show on it, was like WTF!?

I had long ago come to the conclusion that most of the awards shows sucked since the people with the most talent rarely win, so I normally don't watch them. For all intents and purposes, they could just take an ad out in the trade papers, send everyone their award via fedex and skip the show itself. Better yet, make all of the nominees send in a LIVE performance (vocals only) tape and have real vocal coaches, etc. judge them. Then those nominees can both win and give spectacular performances for the people who actually watch...

I don't like Ciara. I don't like that breathy singing crap. I saw her on a couple of talk shows and she always sounds out of breath.

Ok, I finally saw the tape last night and although Lauryn's wig was not the cutest (and didn't take away from that massive bow thingie), I still enjoyed her (and Wyclef and Pras's) performance. It's been how long since she's done a live performance? Doing songs that she first did how many years ago? And those pants had to have cut off some of her air supply. Sooooooooo, my bottom line was that, I still loved it (the performance), no her voice didn't sound like it normally does but that can happen with live + older + out of circulation + however many kids she's chasing after at home.... NOW, when did Jada Pinkett Smith get so daggone skinny?? For that matter, between her, the rest of the Set It Off girls (except Queen La), Halle, DC and Toni Braxton, I doubt if there was a waistline bigger than 23!!. Whatever secrets they have, I want!!!!!

Latest posts

Back