Better Skin Diet

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What would you do for skin that's soft, fresh and unblemished? All the expensive skin care products in the world won't achieve healthy skin without help from your diet. Here's how the Better Skin Diet will help cleanse your skin from the inside out so you can look and feel great:

• Fish contains oils that will help nourish your skin. This diet includes fish options at lunch and dinner to add luster and softness to your complexion.

• Ground flaxseeds are an excellent source of omega-three fatty acids, which promote good skin health. This meal plan adds flaxseed to your breakfast cereal for a healthy start to your day.

• Vitamin A is essential for healthy skin. This diet includes plenty of dark orange (carrots, sweet potatoes, winter squash) and dark green (broccoli, spinach, kale) vegetables -- all of which are high in vitamin A.

• Vitamin E helps promote great skin, which is why this diet includes nuts such as hazelnuts and almonds -- which are high in vitamin E -- as snacks.

BREAKFAST

option one

oatmeal made with skim milk, topped with 1 tablespoon ground flaxseeds mixed with blueberries

orange juice

option two

fortified whole grain cereal topped with skim milk, strawberries and 1 tablespoon ground flaxseeds

grapefruit juice

option three

low-fat granola mixed with 1 tablespoon ground flaxseeds and dried mixed fruit, topped with plain yogurt

tomato juice with a splash of lemon

LUNCH

option one

3 ounces water-packed tuna mixed with 1 tablespoon low-fat mayonnaise, chopped tomatoes, celery, carrots and green peppers

2 cups dark green leafy lettuce

1 slice dark rye bread spread with 2 teaspoons olive oil-based margarine

1 cup skim milk

option two

grilled and chilled shrimp salad with grapefruit vinaigrette

baby carrots

6 whole-grain crackers

1 cup skim milk

option three

turkey caesar wrap

½ cup salsa with 1 cup green, red and yellow pepper strips

1 cup skim milk

AFTERNOON SNACK

Choose from any of these snack options:

• fresh apple, orange or tangerine

• small handful of mixed nuts

• ½ cup trail mix of nuts, dried fruit and pretzels

• 1 cup yogurt mixed with blueberries, raspberries or strawberries

• 6 baby carrots

DINNER

option one

baked filet of sole

½ cup brown rice

1 cup steamed spinach tossed with lemon juice, garlic and pepper

vanilla pudding topped with mixed berries

green tea

option two

beef tenderloins and greens dijon

½ cup strawberry sorbet topped with mixed berries

green tea

option three

honey garlic pork chops

½ cup mashed sweet potatoes

½ cup steamed broccoli tossed with olive oil and garlic

½ cup yogurt topped with mixed berries

green tea

Healthy Dos and Don'ts

Do:

• Drink at least eight 8-ounce glasses of water every day -- add a slice of fresh lemon or lime for extra flavor and zest

• Eat seafood at least three times each week for the oils found in fish that help nourish your skin

• Eat at least eight servings of fruits and vegetables every day (choose a variety of different colors -- red tomatoes, green peppers, orange squash -- for the greatest amount of healthy antioxidants)

• Make sure your diet includes 20 to 30 percent of calories from healthier fats such as avocado, olive oil, canola oil and the oils in wheat germ and flaxseeds to prevent dry skin

• Use sunscreen every day, no matter where you live and what the weather conditions are like

• Wear a hat to shade your face when you're outside

Don't:

• Drink alcohol

• Eat snack foods that are high in fat such as chips, fried foods and chocolate. These snacks often replace healthier foods that promote healthy skin, and the additional amount of unhealthy fat provides extra calories

• Smoke, and avoid second-hand smoke whenever possible

I agree that you are what you eat and it shows on the skin. Thanx for the info, Eleinys!

How did everyone miss this post? Its great and packed with really good info. Thanks for posting it
biggrin.gif

The only way that I cleared my skin up for good (and I mean for good) was through diet. I really tried everything with some greater or lesser degree of success, but some of the methods like large quantities of zinc were known to be toxic, and that just didn't sit well with me. MSM was very helpful, though, and really seemed to aid in the healing process. Also, I should add, my zits were of the cystic nature, along with little rashy looking pimples on my forehead.

Some months ago, I cut out dairy, not thinking much about it. Only deciding that I prefered this soy creamer....In a week, my acne was gone. I made the correlation, right away, assuming the phytoestrogens in soy probably helped regulate some hormonal imbalance. One day, when I ran out of soy, I decided a little milk in my coffee wasn't going to hurt...Within a matter of hours, my forehead was red and blotchy, and the next morning I had little whiteheads forming. That cinched it for me. No more dairy. I haven't had any zits, none, whatsoever. My complexion is really perfect, now, and I had been struggling with acne for a few years. Scheduling my life around it, in fact. Wondering 'Will I be able to make plans for Friday? What if I have a new zit?' Now, these things aren't even a consideration. To top it off, I can even wear cosmetics and treatments I wasn't able to before.

I think the only way to know what is contributing to the problem is by radically changing your diet for two weeks- sticking to fresh organic foods and proteins. Cut out flour- another thing people are commonly allergic to. If you have to have bread, try a sprouted wheat bread. Then reintroduce things into your diet slowly for a few days at time, and watch for acne flares.

Back