Birchbox March 2013

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by Brainwall /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Oh man I can't wait. I've been checking my email like there is going to be a shipping code sent.. but then I realize that it is only the 20th. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I think I've gone mad. I signed up mid-January and have only received two boxes, but have already spent over 150 bucks in the shop and I have 75 dollars of stuff in my cart at the moment and I am itching to click "checkout." I'm pretty sure I need that The Balm NUDE palette... Decisions. I think I'd be completely happy to get a second part time job just to fund my new-found makeup obsession. I can't believe I was using crappy stuff for so long. I really look forward to doing my makeup every day now. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

I think I'll wait though and see if they send eyeshadow for March. *Crossing my fingers!*
ditto to bbbrandnewww!!! I just got my Hautelook order yesterday, and I picked up the Mary Lou-Manizer, Sexy Mama Translucent powder, AND the Nude Tude palette for about $40.   I figure it's worth it to get The Balm stuff 1/2 off and save my BB points for something that never goes on sale!

Originally Posted by bbbrandnewww /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'd sign up for Hautelook! I picked up Nude Tude for like $16 when it was on there. Whenever theBalm goes on HL, it's always 50% off and I'm pretty sure every time they have had NudeTude!
Originally Posted by magicalmom /img/forum/go_quote.gif

ditto to bbbrandnewww!!! I just got my Hautelook order yesterday, and I picked up the Mary Lou-Manizer, Sexy Mama Translucent powder, AND the Nude Tude palette for about $40.   I figure it's worth it to get The Balm stuff 1/2 off and save my BB points for something that never goes on sale!
Is it normal for Hautelook to take forever to ship?  I still haven't received my theBalm order, which I placed 3 weeks ago.

I'd sign up for Hautelook! I picked up Nude Tude for like $16 when it was on there. Whenever theBalm goes on HL, it's always 50% off and I'm pretty sure every time they have had NudeTude!
Is it normal for Hautelook to take forever to ship?  I still haven't received my theBalm order, which I placed 3 weeks ago.
Yep...it can take weeks. Plus the $7 flat shipping turns me off.

Originally Posted by audiophilekate /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yeah, I really have to like something to wait that long for it and pay for the shipping. My last order took over a month to get to me. Worth it if you get a great buy and don't need it right away.

I just got my nude tude from hautelook when it was on sale there. Their shipping is soooo slow and felt dumb buying 1 thing and paying $7 for shipping. Oh well, I'm really glad I got Nudetude for half off though!

Originally Posted by Scooby384 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Originally Posted by Ashitude /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yeah, I really have to like something to wait that long for it and pay for the shipping. My last order took over a month to get to me. Worth it if you get a great buy and don't need it right away.
If I had known that, I would have just purchased the Sexy Mama.  I guess I've been spoiled by Birchbox & Sephora's fast shipping.  *heavy sigh*  Oh well.  I don't actually NEED anything I ordered, but I am so impatient.

Yeah, HL shipping sucks but usually it ropes me into buying numerous things since it's not justifiable shipping wise for just one. But theBalm usually has a ton of stuff, so if you're looking to pick up stuff it's worth it if you don't need it any time soon. TheBalm seems to take longer than anything else that I've ordered from HL.

I got my Meet matte nude from HL and it finally got here last week. The estimate was between 18-22 of feb so it actually came early.

Originally Posted by peridotcricket /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The shop is probably close to 90 percent of Birchbox's revenue. On a side note, my TJ Maxx has Color Club box sets of 7 from like Spring 2012 for 9 bucks. I bought Blue-Ming off the Birchbox website, it's included in the set at TJ Maxx, and I could have gotten 6 other polishes on the set for only a buck more than I spent for 1.
Originally Posted by vogliadivintage /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I didn't realize all the samples were given to BB for free.  12 million in funding?  

I'd say it's a close call between the revenue of the sub service and their direct commerce business at this point.  I've read that half of the 200k subscribers buy full-sized items.  If that 100k is anything like me, I've definitely spent more in the shop than I have on the subscription service alone.  I imagine their goal is to keep increasing the shop, giving us incentives to spend and to ultimately make that their biggest source of revenue.  

The box is like a fishing tackle to get us to buy.  I've read that since they started they've become the leading retailer of Benta Berry in the states and even one of the leading retailers of Color Club.  They charge $8 a pop for one of those polishes you could probably find elsewhere for cheaper, but you buy it in their shop because you want to reach the limit to get their promotions, and it's a low priced item.  
Venture Capital funding, its the money any early stage tech start up gets when they are looking to go beyond an idea, most founders can't bring an idea to a company.

I know two of the investors who were part of their Angel (rich individuals giving personal money for shares in the company) they also invested in my boyfriends start up.

I have to disagree with the show being 90% of their revenue, everything I get from the shop is free, which is like $200/year they "lose" and I know half a dozen other girls who only shop with points, I actually have a couple people who know the birchbox girls, I think I will ask not for specifics, but how much of their business is e-commerce vs. monthly sub

and yes, they partner with brands to push those brands samples, think like the sephora samples, all the samples come out of the marketing budget from the company. It's actually a better way to get samples, there are other sample services they buy old ass makeup from resellers that the actual company had nothing to do with. Birchbox aligns themselves with the brands they push and probably split the profit from shop purchases. 

The companies partner for exposure, but they have to be getting some percentage of the sales as well. 

Originally Posted by peridotcricket /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by MaiteS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the blue bottles also look like the st. tropez tanning mouse. but im not sure BB would go that route.
I saw this and first thing I thought was, 'Uh oh. Oh, yes, they would.' I've never heard of St. Tropez Tanning Mousse, but if it has anything to do with fake tanning, Birchbox loves that kinda thing way too much.

Nooooooooo!!!! I try to keep an open mind about products, but self tanners are the number one product I would be happy if I never saw again. My last breakup with BB was spurred partially by getting several boxes of nearly all packets, and partially getting self tanners every month they were offered. Sigh....

Originally Posted by yousoldtheworld /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Nooooooooo!!!! I try to keep an open mind about products, but self tanners are the number one product I would be happy if I never saw again. My last breakup with BB was spurred partially by getting several boxes of nearly all packets, and partially getting self tanners every month they were offered. Sigh....
I LOVE the St. Tropez, I literally ran out of my bottle yesterday, its one of the few products I consistently use and have to repurchase. I am debating getting the Dark one next seeing as this next bottle will cover summer.

It's wayyy cheaper than spray tanning and not going to kill me like tanning beds. 

I grew up in an area with lots of sun and I was tan all my life, now I'm pasty living in the overcast fog town of San Fran.

St. Tropez helps hide the pasty.

Originally Posted by audiophilekate /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If I had known that, I would have just purchased the Sexy Mama.  I guess I've been spoiled by Birchbox & Sephora's fast shipping.  *heavy sigh*  Oh well.  I don't actually NEED anything I ordered, but I am so impatient.
Just for next time, hautelook always says ships: feb 17-feb 24 or whatever on their sales, that way you know. I think it has something to do with them not having the inventory and just ordering what they sell from the manufacturer. Its annoying, but they do disclose how long it will be until it ships. Once it ships its just regular UPS ground. 

I signed up for HL - but ladies please be honest with me - is it really really worth it?

Originally Posted by JimmyJazz /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I signed up for HL - but ladies please be honest with me - is it really really worth it?
I got a $75 dollar makeup brush set for $25+shipping. So yeah it can be worth it if it is something you want. I would NEVER spend $75 on a set of brushes.

Originally Posted by gypsiemagic /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I LOVE the St. Tropez, I literally ran out of my bottle yesterday, its one of the few products I consistently use and have to repurchase. I am debating getting the Dark one next seeing as this next bottle will cover summer.

It's wayyy cheaper than spray tanning and not going to kill me like tanning beds. 

I grew up in an area with lots of sun and I was tan all my life, now I'm pasty living in the overcast fog town of San Fran.

St. Tropez helps hide the pasty.
I like pasty me.
icon_lol.gif
I have never been one to tan I have always just preferred my pale look.

One of the things that surprises me most about the bb facebook mob, is how many people go there to complain that their box is "horrible" because they are missing a sample!  It is crazy to me that none of them think to just contact customer service, i even saw someone say NO when bb told them to email about it!

It is for me. The last thing I bought from them was some Wildfox Couture jewelry I really wanted, and it was a great deal. If it's an item you've been stalking and you don't have to have it very fast, you can find some great deals. It's kind of like RueLaLa...you have to know what the real going price is to know whether it is truly a good deal. Sometimes with Rue I have to wait for the clearance for it to really be worth it.

Originally Posted by JimmyJazz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've only made one purchase from them because they sent me a $15 gift card code for Valentine's Day. I got a Stila smudge pot and Betsey Johnson sunglasses for $20 including shipping so I was pretty pleased with that. They definitely have a lot of high-end clothing & jewelry that is out of my price range even when it's on sale, but I've seen great deals on makeup.

Thanks for the replies! I was looking at some of the "sale stuff," and just about near pooped myself at the prices!  I just can't fathom paying 70 bucks for a Tshirt! 

Heck yes. I got a brand new palette that just came out in January for 50% off.

Back