Birchbox Praises

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I apologize, but to be quite frank, it gets a little old hearing everyone complain about Birchbox.  I happen to adore Birchbox for several reasons and want to open a thread for those who want to sing their praises instead of jumping on the complaining bandwagon.  So here are my top 10 reasons for loving Birchbox:

1. They have an amazing point system

2. They are inexpensive

3. They offer coupon codes that can be used in conjunction with bonus points

4. I have always had excellent customer service (although I am not speaking for everyone)

5. I have been introduced to some of my new favorite products

6. I have received a full sized product at least every other month

7. Most months the value of the box exceeds its cost by almost double

8. They were the first company I discovered and I have kept them the entire time

9. They send extras and freebies to loyal customers

10. They have a website that is easy to use and professional

There are other reasons as well, but I wanted to get this party started.  So if you are a loyal fan like myself, please feel free to chime in.  Please leave any negative comments on an appropriate forum elsewhere.  This one is only for Positive Polly's
flowers.gif

Though I didn't vote in positive poll, I have to agree with the first three entries.  

Originally Posted by Jacinta /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I apologize, but to be quite frank, it gets a little old hearing everyone complain about Birchbox.  I happen to adore Birchbox for several reasons and want to open a thread for those who want to sing their praises instead of jumping on the complaining bandwagon.  So here are my top 10 reasons for loving Birchbox:

1. They have an amazing point system

2. They are inexpensive

3. They offer coupon codes that can be used in conjunction with bonus points

4. I have always had excellent customer service (although I am not speaking for everyone)

5. I have been introduced to some of my new favorite products

6. I have received a full sized product at least every other month

7. Most months the value of the box exceeds its cost by almost double

8. They were the first company I discovered and I have kept them the entire time

9. They send extras and freebies to loyal customers

10. They have a website that is easy to use and professional

There are other reasons as well, but I wanted to get this party started.  So if you are a loyal fan like myself, please feel free to chime in.  Please leave any negative comments on an appropriate forum elsewhere.  This one is only for Positive Polly's
flowers.gif
I do have to agree on that. I moan and groan - often - of the products Birchbox send out in the Birchbox and Birchbox Men boxes HOWEVER regardless of how much I love or hate the products I get I can always review those items for points and earn free stuff! Pairing my points with their promo codes = MORE free stuff! LOL Who DOESN'T love free stuff (except maybe that baby on those credit card commercials, lol)?

Yay! I agree. I've never had a box worth less than $10. I'm not subbing to bb for an "amazing value", I'm subbing for samples. As long as I'm getting what I paid for, I"m happy. And honestly, I get SO MUCH MORE than I've paid for. I paid $110 for a yearly sub. At this point, I've actually already redeemed $110 dollars worth of points. Making my boxes essentially free, because this was all stuff I would've purchased anyway. Heck, I used BB points to buy my father's day gift for my dad. 

And I agree the birchbox website is amazing, easy to use, etc.

i also have subs with Sample Society and Glossybox (just cancelled after October). 

Birchbox doesn't send the biggest samples, or the most expensive brands, but i do get the most for my money with my BB.  

i don't mind the smaller sizes because within a week i've got something else to try from another sub or samples with purchase from various online retailers.  

the points system is great.

until this month it seems like the shipping and customer service has always been great. 

BB is the one sub i haven't considered dropping since i signed up even when the box that month isn't the best. $10 is reasonable for my budget considering the variety and my expectations.

I like the variety of brands included in Birchbox and find the quality to be consistently high.  I like that you can find high end brands interspersed with brands focusing on natural ingredients.  I like that some brands have been around for over a hundred years while others are brand new.  Overall, there is great range and representation of both brands and products. 

The value of subscription boxes for me is being introduced to new products and brands in a convenient and inexpensive format, and for me, Birchbox excels in that area.  The points system and other perks add to the experience.  Getting full-sized products occasionally is nice, but not why I signed up nor was is it an expectation. 

I've been subscribed for almost a year, and my perception is not that the quality has gone down.  Some months are better than others, but it tends to even itself out in the long run. 

Birchbox was my first sub and has a special place in my beauty junkie heart. While I might be underwhelmed at times, I've never been truly disappointed. I agree wholeheartedly with Jacinta's points! I also feel like they are offering more than samples, but a service and gateway to brands and products. That's fine and I'm happy to pay for that. I've had excellent CS and made multiple orders, paying in points and money. While I may not love every item, I do walk way feeling good still. In sampling such a variety, I can better learn what does and doesn't work for me. Barring allergies, every item sent can be used. What everyone seems to forget is that PERSONAL tastes may prevent satisfaction with the products. Yes, foils are annoying if they're little one time use, but that doesn't mean you can't use it. There's been a lot of heckling and nitpicking lately. While there is some great constructive criticism and grievances being brought up, some complaints seem completely invalid and ridiculous. I'm seeing people feel entitled and becoming bitter over ridiculous things. I'm staying with BB. I've been introduced to great brands and products. I love the lottery system and think it's reasonable and realistic, especially given the volume of customers. I've gotten full sized products and the few little moments of box envy pique my curiosity enough to outright purchase stuff or meet great people here and swap. I'm also able to save some money and share the love with friends, introducing them to items or make gifts. I like my little Christmas in a box every month and for a few moments, fleeting or otherwise, I'm usually very happy and giddy. Might not be for everyone, but it's great for me. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I love Birchbox.  I've been a subscriber since December 2011 and wish I had found it sooner.  The little kid in me loves opening up mail/presents that I buy for myself and Birchbox makes it fun because I never know exactly what I'm going to get.  I get mine in two month increments since I live outside the U.S. and pick up my mail every two months and with multiple subs that makes for some fun box openings!  My Gramps always says, "Time for presents again!" and we all have fun opening them up and oohing and aahing over all sorts of things, even mundane things, he loves getting the razors, snacks and foot products (along with a foot rub/pedicure/toenail cutting from me ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  and Gram loves the luxury anti-aging creams and makeup, we both have enough mascara to last us a long time.  Little cousins get nail polishes, lip balms and snack foods or whatever they end up coveting, and I've given aunts mascaras and eyeliners too, along with creams and potions and cleansers.  I started with one sub, got another for a friend (who has since backed out but I kept the sub and use the stuff for giveaways to family and friends, there is always someone who appreciates the little goodies), got a third for Teen Vogue and thought I'd drop it but kept it and then another for Glamour.  So $40 a month on Birchboxes.  Some months are better than others, but I ALWAYS get my money's worth and have fun while I'm at it.  I like anticipating, sharing beauty tips with other subscribers, hoping I get a certain box (which the multiple boxes helps with, I have yet to receive double boxes but now I will that I've said it, ha ha), watching the BB videos, seeing what people are excited for and learning about new products, giving feedback and getting points to spend along with generous coupon codes and free shipping, the list goes on and on.  Everything here where I live is expensive, even just buying a decent razor, so the value for me is even more.  To buy eyeshadow at the local "beauty store" is about $15 for a who knows how old, covered with dust Covergirl baby blue shadow quad.  Otherwise, you can get made in China eyeliners that are the type that tug and pull, ouch.  So being able to have lots of great samples and full size products to share with friends here is a lot of fun for me, they really appreciate it and I love putting the gift boxes together.  They've been hits at baby showers (gotta pamper the mom!), wedding showers and just because gifts.  Teenage girls love them and are able to experiment with makeup and nail polish with them, it's a great hobby that I have, matching up people with fun, personalized gift sets.  

The value, for me, is one of my favorite parts.  I got 4 DDF cleansers that just about added up to a full sized one, which is $38 and I love it.  I've gotten a $36 blush that I would have purchased for myself, so for $4 more I got 3 more boxes of samples/other items AND another 4 items in the box with the blush.  Plus points to use towards full sized purchases.  I just combined the 20% off code with $80 in points and got a full sized Clarisonic for about $60, otherwise that purchase would have been a scary $195.  I end up really liking some of the small tubes of luxe creams and it makes me feel pampered to use them.  I got a Clark's Botanicals mud mask that looks like it's in a pretty small tub but that I've used for four masks and there is still plenty left, it's a clay mask and it's pricey but I've got to use it for the price of my subscription.  I got a really cool, retro red with white polka dots headband, a Beauty Blender, a few of my holy grail eyeliners in different colors, lots of BB creams, fun nail polishes, Tarte lipsurgences, the list keeps growing.  Even if/when I get packet/sachet type samples, I use them up and like trying new things with them.  I feel appreciative when I get full sized items but I don't expect the world for $10, I don't feel entitled, I feel pleasantly surprised when I get full sized or what I would consider to be my favorite items.  I personally don't like tanning products, but it's not the end of the world if one of my samples is a tanning product, Birchbox isn't psychic!  And guess what?  My aunt loves tanning stuff.  Problem solved.  First world problems, right?  I'm actually shocked at how much they send out, especially considering shipping prices.  I can't do much better buying things on Ebay (which could definitely be sketchy, besides, buyer beware) because shipping is a real concern, it would cost $3-4 for shipping alone on a little box of stuff like that, maybe more.  I know they get a bulk shipping deal, but still, it works out well for me.  No sales tax, a fun group of women to talk to about new products, the experience of opening little boxes of fun beauty products, I'll be a Birchbox subscriber for a long time, I'm sure.  It just makes sense for me.

November will be my 4th month with BB.I did get the Goop box last month and for me it wasn't bad.I didn't get the "OMG I really wanted that" items but what I did get I actually liked as they were new & different to me.I did also just sign up for another BB so that will make 2 for me and BB Men for hubby as he was a lil jealous I get these surprises each month. I have been happy with BB and will continue to subscribe to them. It's little surprises like this in my life that I need to make me smile when I am having a bad day.I like the point system and look forward to being able to someday use my points.Personally I would rather have small samples of items to try then huge bottles that take up space and would probably end up getting thrown into the trash.If I do get something that I don't like or can't use for any reason I just gift it away. I have a few teenagers that are grateful for any makeup items and a sister in law who is grateful as well.Just my 2 cents worth on this :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Thank you for starting a positive thread!  I'm happy with my Birchbox experience as well.  $10 per month is a pretty low cost to discover new items and the point system is pretty amazing.  Does every box blow me away?  No, but I've found something I do like in just about every box, and have discovered new HG products as well (i.e. Miss Jessie's Quick Curls, Microdermamitt, Zoya, etc.) and I've be able to pick some of these items up at heavy discounts using points.

Any box issues I've had (leaking or missing item, box disappearing after delivery) have ultimately been taken care of to my satisfaction, even where it's not BB's fault.

I've gifted subs to multiple friends in the past year and they've been uniformly thrilled.  I think much of the negativity and ire wouldn't exist if it weren't for MUT.  If folks couldn't see what others were getting or feed off one another's irritation, any disappointment would probably remain relatively minor.  That being said, I also think MUT is GREAT in terms of creating a fun level of excitement each month, providing more info about BB, and enabling folks to trade items.

Great thread. I have been thinking that during the BB monthly surge of posts we should have a separate monthly thread that complaining is NOT allowed in. I used to love checking the monthly thread but its been a bummer recently.

Originally Posted by dd62 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Great thread. I have been thinking that during the BB monthly surge of posts we should have a separate monthly thread that complaining is NOT allowed in. I used to love checking the monthly thread but its been a bummer recently.
I suppose we could do something along the lines of... Birchbox (insert month) Faves... then create a seperate one like... Birchbox(insert month) Misses... But there is still the main monthly thread, where we check for our spoilers and compare box weights/shipping updates. I think also that criticisms and grievances have a tendency to sing louder and stand out more than praises at times. For me personally, it was easier to silence myself than try to interject good and "yay, my experience+BB"  comments, because so many were growing in dissatisfaction. What is pleasing me is sooo displeasurable to others and sometimes I wonder, what am I missing? 

Nothing, because the service/experience means something different for each and every single one of us. I think for myself, I'm going to try and be more active in the sub threads, whether I'm feeling pleasure or distaste. We are a community, with lurkers and occasional trolls/stragglers...I think we all just need to come out of the woodwork and feel comfortable posting, be it favorable or not.

I crossed out that first comment, because I personally don't want us to segregate and shy away from each other, which could very well happen along those lines. Defeats the purpose of coming together to share our thoughts.

Originally Posted by MissLindaJean /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I suppose we could do something along the lines of... Birchbox (insert month) Faves... then create a seperate one like... Birchbox(insert month) Misses... But there is still the main monthly thread, where we check for our spoilers and compare box weights/shipping updates. I think also that criticisms and grievances have a tendency to sing louder and stand out more than praises at times. For me personally, it was easier to silence myself than try to interject good and "yay, my experience+BB"  comments, because so many were growing in dissatisfaction. What is pleasing me is sooo displeasurable to others and sometimes I wonder, what am I missing? 

Nothing, because the service/experience means something different for each and every single one of us. I think for myself, I'm going to try and be more active in the sub threads, whether I'm feeling pleasure or distaste. We are a community, with lurkers and occasional trolls/stragglers...I think we all just need to come out of the woodwork and feel comfortable posting, be it favorable or not.

I crossed out that first comment, because I personally don't want us to segregate and shy away from each other, which could very well happen along those lines. Defeats the purpose of coming together to share our thoughts.
but what is the internet without the occasional troll ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

I am all in favor of multiple threads per birchbox month with differing general opinions. Mega Spoiler thread, What I loved this month, What I hated this month, yadayadaetc. a lot gets lost in the monster thread when it gets really active, so I much prefer Reddit style posts where there is a topic/question posed and comments around that. 

Originally Posted by gypsiemagic /img/forum/go_quote.gif

but what is the internet without the occasional troll ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

I am all in favor of multiple threads per birchbox month with differing general opinions. Mega Spoiler thread, What I loved this month, What I hated this month, yadayadaetc. a lot gets lost in the monster thread when it gets really active, so I much prefer Reddit style posts where there is a topic/question posed and comments around that. 
Dislike that idea.  Once we start dividing the world up so we only have to talk to those who agree with us, the world becomes less interesting.

I enjoy reading other people's experiences, be they positive or negative.  I like it when if there is a problem the company steps in and does a great fix, that is always nice.  It also generally amuses me to see what the consensus is because sometimes my favorite item is a lot of peoples' white elephant and their 'must have' is my no big deal.  Just shows that I'm the weirdo I always knew I was.  If we were all the same it would indeed be boring, variety is the spice of life.  Heck, sometimes what I myself think is going to be my not so exciting aspect of the box ends up being my favorite.  I love hearing reviews of what people think, I end up buying things that maybe I haven't sampled but that other MuTalkers have and are raving about.  Or there is always the trades, those are fun, another persons trash is my treasure and so on.

I do, however, sometimes feel like if I ooh or ahh over my Birchbox that it might be construed as "white knighting" the company, just blindly sticking up for them and never hearing any negatives about them.  Or worse, I don't want people to think I'm gloating!  I never want to make others feel bad.  It's nice to have this thread to know that others feel like we do and like LindaJean said, we can all come out of the woodwork and feel comfortable speaking about our experiences, whatever they be.  Cool beans.

Hi, you just sent me a pm, however, due to the limit , I cannot send any pm today.

So, could you pm me your email address so that I can send you the code?

Originally Posted by mellee /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Dislike that idea.  Once we start dividing the world up so we only have to talk to those who agree with us, the world becomes less interesting.
I don't think of it like that at all, I frequent all of the threads, not ignoring the ones I dont "agree" with, I just like things to be a little more focused rather than a giant clusterf*#k thread like the main threads are. It's hard to keep track of all the bajillion conversations happening, and placing topics on different threads is just a helpful navigation tool 

To add another, I appreciate that Birchbox proactively sent out a message regarding the potential impact of Sandy and that they have at least a skeleton customer service crew up and running so quickly.

Originally Posted by onematchfire /img/forum/go_quote.gif

To add another, I appreciate that Birchbox proactively sent out a message regarding the potential impact of Sandy and that they have at least a skeleton customer service crew up and running so quickly.
Same. I'm glad they were proactive and got it out JUST IN CASE something doesn't go right. That way when/if it happens, people won't be panicking and freaking out and blaming them instead of the real cause...the storm.

Love this thread. As much I complain about some of the things, I love Birchbox. They're a great company with excellent customer service. When they screw up, they always apologize and make up for it. Love Birchbox. Love, love, love.

Back