Birth Control pills for Kids?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I flipped on the news and I was a bit shocked to know that Birth Control Pills are being available to kids as early as 11 years old.

I wanted to know how others felt about this?

Personally, I think it's unnecessary and disturbing for the fact that children can obtain this without the consent of the parents.

I think it's sending out the wrong message especially at such a tender age. I don't agree with it and it should be the parents responsibility to care for their children and not the schools.

It's best to post the entire story:

Maine middle school to hand out birth-control pills

School officials voted last night to OK a plan to distribute contraceptives to children as young as 11 in Portland, Maine.

The Associated Press says the decision follows at least 17 pregnancies in the last four years among students at the city's three middle schools. Children who have parental permission to visit the health center at King Middle School will have confidential access to birth-control pills, condoms and other contraceptives, according to the wire service.

Sarah Thompson, the mother of an eight-grader and a member of the Portland School Committee, explains why she voted in favor of the proposal: "I know I've done my job as a parent. (But there) may be a time when she doesn't feel comfortable coming to me ... (and) not all these kids have a strong parental advocate at home."

About 13% of middle school students in Maine say they're sexually active, according to a survey cited by the Portland Press Herald.

Posted by Mike Carney at 02:10 PM/ET, October 18, 2007 in Education | Permalink

Source> Maine middle school to hand out birth-control pills - On Deadline - USATODAY.com

I have a 14 year old son and I would be furious if he were sexually active.

But if he were, I sure as hell don't want him getting a girl pregnant.

The only reason an 11 year old girl is on the pill for birth control is:

1) she has started menstrating and therefore can become pregnant

2) she is sexually active and doesn't want to become a mother at the age of 12.

3) her parents don't want to become grandparents

In my neck of the woods, an eleven year old can get birth control to prevent unwanted pregnancy. But it is done through a family doctor/health unit.

And it is not advertised like this middle school situation is.

As long as the parents give consent to starting their daughter on the pill, I think it's a great idea.

However, I don't want anyone thinking that I support 11 year old girls having sex. What I don't support is unwed teenage moms.

However, I'm curious why there is so much emphasis on the girls. Why aren't we discussing the behaviour of the males that think it is ok to have sex with an 11 year old girl?

Originally Posted by Carolyn /img/forum/go_quote.gif However, I'm curious why there is so much emphasis on the girls. Why aren't we discussing the behaviour of the males that think it is ok to have sex with an 11 year old girl? Excellent point!
I think it's really sad that there might actually be a need for birth control at that age...
sleepyhead.gif

Ugh! I am actually disgusted. Disgusted that a measure like that had to be taken in the first place. Carolyn, you raised an interesting point. Why the heck is it, that they go and target the girls (babies is what they are!) to put "control" on themselves, when really, the boys might need to be addressed even more in this picture. I have a feeling the boys impregnating these baby girls are a bit older... maybe even in high school. Boys 11 years of age are not quite equipped for that sort of handiwork. I feel it is the beginnings of predatory behavior, and it needs to be nipped in the bud.

Originally Posted by Carolyn /img/forum/go_quote.gif However, I'm curious why there is so much emphasis on the girls. Why aren't we discussing the behaviour of the males that think it is ok to have sex with an 11 year old girl? Originally Posted by StereoXGirl /img/forum/go_quote.gif I think it's really sad that there might actually be a need for birth control at that age...
sleepyhead.gif
I agree.

I agree with all of you. why at such a young age are children having sex? I mean, 11? what happened to the age of innocence?

Ya know what, I don't find it to be that big of a deal and here's why. Girls are obviously developing earlier nowadays, first off, so sex at like 13 is (morally like crazy and gross to me) but not completely unimaginable. On a side note, my best friend got her period at like 10 and had to go on birth control at 12 because she was getting ovarian cysts and the pill can reduce them or something. So I think for reasons other than like just preventing pregnancy, the pill for "kids" is not outlandish.

I think it is ok if it is being prescribed for acne or other things, but not at ALL for sexual activity. I think under 16s should need parental consent for prescription Birth control - that way it's fair. Nothing is stopping them from buying condoms if they're 15 and a half.

I personally went on the pill when I was 15, with my mum's consent. It was for acne but also for protection, and i don't regret it, but 11 is way, way too young.

I do think it sends the wrong message but at the same time I don't think that it's good to promote unsafe sex by refusing access to services either.

It's a tough one!

i think its good that at least parents know about it....but i am sort of wondering about what kind of guys are running up to an ELEVEN year old in a sexual way

thinking of that is just....ugh no words

haha, I guess other 11 year olds? I guess that's slightly better but I hadnt even pashed anyone at 11! Eep!

Thinking back to when I was in Jr. High (in the early 90's) there was only one girl that we all knew of that was pregnant at the age of 12 in school. She was laughed at on a daily basis, yet she acted "proud" to be pregnant. My mother started her period at the age of 8, so you can imagine the horror her parents went through, plus my aunt had a baby when she was 15. Personally, I had sex at a very young age, I won't even tell you how young.. and it probably would have been a good idea to get some sort of protection, but I was too scared to tell my mother anything. My mother probably would have killed me if I told her I even kissed a guy! I think a lot of girls out there are sexually experimenting and since their parents probably don't educate them on the subject, they are clueless! If their parents do mention sex, it possiby goes something like, " I will kill you if you ... " I think being open and honest with your child & educating them about what is going on in their bodies is the best thing to do.

Originally Posted by Scarlette /img/forum/go_quote.gif Thinking back to when I was in Jr. High (in the early 90's) there was only one girl that we all knew of that was pregnant at the age of 12 in school. She was laughed at on a daily basis, yet she acted "proud" to be pregnant. My mother started her period at the age of 8, so you can imagine the horror her parents went through, plus my aunt had a baby when she was 15. Personally, I had sex at a very young age, I won't even tell you how young.. and it probably would have been a good idea to get some sort of protection, but I was too scared to tell my mother anything. My mother probably would have killed me if I told her I even kissed a guy! I think a lot of girls out there are sexually experimenting and since their parents probably don't educate them on the subject, they are clueless! If their parents do mention sex, it possiby goes something like, " I will kill you if you ... " I think being open and honest with your child & educating them about what is going on in their bodies is the best thing to do. On the part of being scared--Yes, I even know girls that were raped/taken advantage of and never told their parents because they always heard.. "I will kill you..." or "I would kill x-person if..." I think leaving the child un-educated is actually worse for them in the long run.

Latest posts

Back