Black Radiance vs. Wet N Wild 8 Pan Palettes

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just wrote a blog article about the 8 Pan palettes I found at Walmart in the Black Radiance line and thought I would share it with you all.  Hope you enjoy!

Recently Wet N Wild introduced a seasonal set of 8 Pan Palettes and as usual, none of my local stores are carrying them. I found myself at Walmart earlier this week checking once again for the limited edition palettes and once again, they weren't there. But as I looked directly across the isle from the Wet N Wild display, to my amazement and joy, were these 8 pan palettes in the Black Radiance section. They are manufactured by the same company that produces Wet N Wild, Markwins Beauty, and are packaged identically, even stamped Browbone, Eyelid, Crease and Accent (I think the WNW palettes are labeled Definer). Here's the thrilling kicker, they are unlike any colors in the Wet N Wild lineup. They are completely unique colors but the shadows are of the same consistency and quality as their Wet N Wild counter parts. I felt like a kid in the candy shop and of course grabbed my camera so I could show you guys my beautiful find. There were three palettes total - Downtown Browns (I purchased this one, pictures of swatches below), Posh Plums and Urban Jungle. I think I'm going to go back and get the other two. Here are the pictures of the palettes:

Downtown Browns

Posh Plums

Urban Jungle

As I stated earlier I purchased the Downtown Browns Palette as I felt it had the most unique colors. It's name, in my opinion, doesn't describe the palette well to me. I would have called it Lush Velvets or something along those lines, because that is what the colors remind me of. There is an overall brown undertone to the colors but they come off so lush and velvety in color and texture to me. I found some colors to be taupe, eggplant, cream and burnished gold in tone. Here are the pictures of my swatches:​
 ​

This set of swatches is from the left side of the palette. The third color is truly the most unique in the palette. My picture does not do the color justice as it is duo chrome in nature and that doesn't show up well on camera. I find it difficult to describe, the base color is eggplant but the duo chrome is harder to define. It's a bit metallic and taupeish. The first color (Browbone) is an average creamy highlight color with a bit of a peachy undertone to it. The second color (Eyelid) is a gorgeous taupe also with a bit of a peachy undertone. The fourth color (Accent) is a very deep bronzey brown. At first I thought the undertone was black because the brown is so dark. They are all very well pigmented. When I first swatched the Crease color I felt that the pigmentation wasn't very good but when I applied it to my eye with a brush I found it to be pretty good. I think it's duo chrome nature causes it to not swatch well. When applied over an eyeshadow primer, it goes on quite nicely.

​

The second row of colors are highly pigmented colors and I can see where they were intended for darker skin tones. I have this row of colors on today for my FOTD and I had to really work at using a light hand with them because they go on so dark. I could see where lighter skin tones would have trouble pulling this row of colors off. For fairer girls this row, with the exception of the browbone color would work well to make a smokey eye look. The first color (Browbone) again is a typical creamy highlight color and I find it to be whiter in tone. The second color (Eyelid) looks quite eggplant in the pan but applies with more of a brown tone with a purpley tint to it. The crease color is again difficult to describe, it's a bit bronzey brownish blackish (hahahaha, hope you like that very technical description). It applies velvety smooth and very dark. Definitely use a light hand with this color. The last color (Accent) is a deep reddish brown with a gold fleck in it. The gold appears very strong in the pan but goes on minimally on the eye.

Overall I am extremely satisfied with the palette I purchased. For my skin tone I find it to be a beautiful collection for fall with their rich deep velvety hues. I would love to see them swatched on a darker skin tone. I imagine it would bring out a completely different set of tones in the colors. I fully intend to purchase the other two palettes as they are priced so reasonably, $5.98 each, that I can't resist. Thanks so much for reading and hope you have a wonderful day!!

Original blogpost

I wish these were sold in my area but it's not. I think those colors are really pretty. I wonder if any can dupe colors in Urban Decay's NAKED or NAKED2 palettes.

Great review Jean!

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I wish these were sold in my area but it's not. I think those colors are really pretty. I wonder if any can dupe colors in Urban Decay's NAKED or NAKED2 palettes.

Great review Jean!
Thanks!  I don't think there are exact dupes, but there are similar colors.  The Accent color on the left is similar to Snakebite in my opinion and the Crease color on the right is similar to Busted.  The Browbone color on the right is similar to Bootycall.  I didn't see any real similarities in the first Naked palette.

Originally Posted by Dalylah /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Great review! I have Downtown Browns and I adore it! I don't have Urban Jungle... yet lol
Thank you!

I bought these about a year ago at Riteaid. I have used them over and over and love them just as much as I love my Wet N Wild palettes. The quality is about the same. I am actually pretty sure that Wet N Wild owns Black Radiance hence the similarities. http://mushynanners620.blogspot.com/2012/10/black-radiance-8-pan-eyeshadow-palettes.html I did a review a couple months ago on my blog which you can see here. @zadidoll you should check at Riteaid if you have them in your town because I know they carry them. I also know some Walgreens carry the black radiance line!!

I usually find Black Radiance at CVS or Walmart stores. I do have the 2 "new" WnW palettes that you are mentioning (Simmer & something else with an "S") I've had the best luck & been shipping them to folks. I have a set available if you want it. Hopefully these are the ones you mentioned. I've never tried anything but BR lip gloss & I really liked it. I don't have either Naked palette,..I guess I'm too cheap but I think I'll gift them to my self this Christmas Lol.

(The set I have available isn't broke but this is what happened to mine in the first 10 minutes I took it out of the bag, This pictures shows the product better w/o the flash)

I'm so jealous of those who can find Black Radiance. My local Walmarts don't carry it at all (and only two of the three carry Wet 'n' Wild) and none of the Rite Aids carry these 8-pans. Nearest place to me that has it is in the Seattle area.

The limited edition WnW palettes are only sold at Walgreens...so far. They'll probably hit the other stores after the 1st of the year though

Originally Posted by newmakemom /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The limited edition WnW palettes are only sold at Walgreens...so far. They'll probably hit the other stores after the 1st of the year though
In the Pacific NW the LE palettes have been sold at Bartell Drugs (which in WA state is on the west side of the state not the east) and at Fred Meyers (a regional chain store).

Originally Posted by newmakemom /img/forum/go_quote.gif

oh thx so much for the info :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> might convince the bf to buy some of them for me O.O tho I spent like $70 ish at cvs last night all in lip stick D:

they seem ok but the dark colors seem washed out or is it just the camera? 

Based on the pictures, it seems that Wet N Wild is a bit more pigmented

Originally Posted by joshualamberg54 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The limited edition WnW palettes are only sold at Walgreens..
As well as Bartels and Fred Meyer in the Pacific NW. I bought my LE palettes at Freddies.

I can't find the new Wet n Wild palettes any where here in Southern CA!  I have checked CVS and Walgreens.  Hopefully I can find them soon!  I really want one of the 8 shade palettes. I have 3 of the color icon (3 shadow) and I really like them!

At Walgreens look for a SIDE DISPLAY on the end caps. These will NOT be appearing on a shelf display at Walgreens.

Latest posts

Back