blow drying hair straight time

Makeuptalk.com - Makeup forums and reviews

Help Support Makeuptalk.com - Makeup forums and reviews:

Joined
Aug 16, 2005
Messages
322
Reaction score
0
Hi, just wondering how long does it take you all to blow dry your hair. Let's say you just got out of the shower and you start to blow dry your hair almost immediately how long does it take you? I'm talking for your hair to be blowed dried straight not just dry.

 
Joined
Feb 10, 2004
Messages
4,603
Reaction score
1
I always leave my hair in a towel for 20 minutes or so while I get dressed and do mu, and then I will blowdry, but it's still pretty wet when I take off the towel. I have fine but thick, wavy, shoulder-length hair, and no matter how hard I try I CANNOT blowdry the ends straight, they insist on flipping or curling in some way! So if I just want my hair dry, the top part straight and I don't care what direction the ends are curling, it takes me no more than 10 minutes. If I want to actually style the ends (I normally try to make them flip out, so at least they will all flip in the same direction, more or less -- they have a mind of their own! lol) it takes 15-20 minutes. I've tried blowdrying and styling for longer, but after 20 minutes extra blowdrying time doesn't make a difference.

I have a ceramic ionic dryer which I always set on high, if that makes a difference


 
Joined
Jul 3, 2004
Messages
10,844
Reaction score
0
Probably takes me about 25 min. I also leave it up in a towel for awhile, so might be a little longer if its SOAKING wet... but you should always let it air dry a bit and just use the dryer when it's already 70% dried.


 
Joined
Feb 12, 2005
Messages
28,176
Reaction score
3
Originally Posted by NYAngel98 Probably takes me about 25 min. I also leave it up in a towel for awhile, so might be a little longer if its SOAKING wet... but you should always let it air dry a bit and just use the dryer when it's already 70% dried.
Ditto!
 
Joined
Mar 9, 2005
Messages
1,627
Reaction score
0
It takes me 7 minutes to dry my hair, it usually helps if I use a round brush with a metallic shaft.

 
Joined
Jul 3, 2004
Messages
10,844
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by kellianne76 It takes me 7 minutes to dry my hair, it usually helps if I use a round brush with a metallic shaft.
Lets trade!! lol
 
Joined
Aug 17, 2005
Messages
608
Reaction score
3
I usually wait for my hair to dry naturally, and then use a straightening iron w/ the MATRIX Sleek.Look Iron Smoother. If i'm in a rush i blow dry my hair then straighten afterwards
 
Joined
Aug 31, 2005
Messages
3,640
Reaction score
1
What I do is wash it at night, leave it in a towel for at least 1/2 hour. Take it out of the towel, spray detangler, clip it up and I actually blow dry it the next morning. At that point it is about 75% dry. It doesn't damage the hair as much and takes me about 25/30 mins to blow dry and CHI.

 
Joined
May 31, 2005
Messages
15,991
Reaction score
2
I usually leave my hair in a towel around 15 to 20 minutes while I'm doing my skincare routine and get dressed. For hair drying my hair straight, it takes me 15 minutes to dry my hair straight using the steam brush hair dry.

 
Joined
Mar 17, 2005
Messages
2,266
Reaction score
0
Before I got my hair TR'd, I'd blow it dry straight every morning and it would take me a half an hour because I have very thick hair. So that's why I had the TR done; to cut down on maintenance/time.


 
Joined
Aug 16, 2005
Messages
322
Reaction score
0
Wow, can someone tell me what i'm doing wrong or how to correctly blow dry my hair. My hair has ALWAYS since i was a teenager taken me at least an hour to dry. If i don't take and hour on it, it looks ugly. I have to part my hair in small sections all the time. HELP!!!

 
Joined
Jun 4, 2005
Messages
1,050
Reaction score
0
Hi there, and #1, Welcome to MuT.

I bet it's taking you so long is because you are starting your straightening process too early. If you want to blow dry your hair straight, blow dry your hair completely dry first, this is what I do. I blow dry it with blowdryer on high. Then, I plug in my Chi and straighten it, this way it takes me about 25 minutes. Or, wash your hair at night, let it dry naturally, then straighten it with a Chi the morning after.

As Amethyst mentioned above, the next more expensive route is to get it TR'ed (Thermal Reconditioned) I have had this done 4 times and you will not believe how wonderful it is to just walk out of your house with wet hair and your hair will dry completely straight. However it does look more polished if you Chi it but, it was the best investment I ever paid for in my life, and I have very frizzy, unruly hair.

Originally Posted by Lil_Claude Wow, can someone tell me what i'm doing wrong or how to correctly blow dry my hair. My hair has ALWAYS since i was a teenager taken me at least an hour to dry. If i don't take and hour on it, it looks ugly. I have to part my hair in small sections all the time. HELP!!!
 
Joined
Mar 17, 2005
Messages
2,266
Reaction score
0
Yep - once a year I cough up $220 bucks (or twice a year if my hair roots grow out faster) and I have low maintenance hair. But its a commitment and you have to really want bone straight hair.


 
Joined
Jun 4, 2005
Messages
1,050
Reaction score
0
Amethyst where do you live where you only pay $220/year?

I live in Connecticut and you know how much it costs me? $700/twice a year and that is with the tip.
I haven't gotten a re-touch in over a year so my ends are still straight and it's all grown out. I have been either putting my hair up or blow drying straight when I have the time. But my Avatar is with TR. And gawd I loved it. My only concern when I first got it was the texture, I couldn't keep it in a ponytail holder when I tried to put it in a "messy bun" because it was so "thin". After having very thick hair all my life, and then having them take the texture right out of your hair it was a shocker!


Originally Posted by Amethyst Yep - once a year I cough up $220 bucks (or twice a year if my hair roots grow out faster) and I have low maintenance hair. But its a commitment and you have to really want bone straight hair.
 
Joined
Mar 17, 2005
Messages
2,266
Reaction score
0
Hi Suz - back when I first wanted a TR, it was more than I could afford. I went ballistic on a mission to find the most affordable TR place in NYC that also wouldn't fry my hair. After tons of internet research, I found a place called Hayato-NY. As far as I know, its the cheapest place to get a TR (unless your hair is down to your waist). Mine is shoulder length and I pay $220. My first TR with them was $180. but they've since raised their prices because through word of mouth and the Internet they've become more well-known. Its a Japanese-owned salon and they have a shop in Tokyo as well. They use the Liscio formula and knock wood so far my hair was never ruined. I've used different stylists in the salon and settled on this guy named Edward. He does a really good job and is attentive but all the folks there are really nice. Its not one of those chi-chi salons and its not fancy at all. Maybe that's why they don't charge much like the high end salons. I really hope they don't raise their prices anymore because I've had this done like 5 times already and I'm still not tired of it. Let me know if you want the contact info.

Like you said, its wash and go baby!


 
Joined
Feb 10, 2004
Messages
4,603
Reaction score
1
Originally Posted by suziqq322 Hi there, and #1, Welcome to MuT.
I bet it's taking you so long is because you are starting your straightening process too early. If you want to blow dry your hair straight, blow dry your hair completely dry first, this is what I do. I blow dry it with blowdryer on high. Then, I plug in my Chi and straighten it, this way it takes me about 25 minutes. Or, wash your hair at night, let it dry naturally, then straighten it with a Chi the morning after.

Similarly, if you don't flat iron it, you can do the same thing with a hair dryer: I always dry my hair "regularly" (ie, without a brush, without worrying about styling it) until it is almost dry, then I use a round or paddle brush to finish drying and styling it. If I started putting it in little sections and using a brush when it was very wet, it would probably take me an hour too!
 
Joined
Jun 4, 2005
Messages
1,050
Reaction score
0
I've heard of Hayato!!! I used to go to the forum Beautywalk.com and they do come very highly recommended. Isn't there a japanese named man that does a phenomenal job there too? I forgot his name because I don't frequent that site anymore. Jason did mine and he used to be on that website all the time as well. Jeez, it would be more affordable for me to take the train into NYC to get mine done. The downside to that is they like to do a consultation first, then I would have to go back. At least here in CT it's only a 1/2 drive for me. But man I pay 3 X's as much as you. THANKS FOR THE TIP, that's AWESOME!!!!!

Originally Posted by Amethyst Hi Suz - back when I first wanted a TR, it was more than I could afford. I went ballistic on a mission to find the most affordable TR place in NYC that also wouldn't fry my hair. After tons of internet research, I found a place called Hayato-NY. As far as I know, its the cheapest place to get a TR (unless your hair is down to your waist). Mine is shoulder length and I pay $220. My first TR with them was $180. but they've since raised their prices because through word of mouth and the Internet they've become more well-known. Its a Japanese-owned salon and they have a shop in Tokyo as well. They use the Liscio formula and knock wood so far my hair was never ruined. I've used different stylists in the salon and settled on this guy named Edward. He does a really good job and is attentive but all the folks there are really nice. Its not one of those chi-chi salons and its not fancy at all. Maybe that's why they don't charge much like the high end salons. I really hope they don't raise their prices anymore because I've had this done like 5 times already and I'm still not tired of it. Let me know if you want the contact info.
Like you said, its wash and go baby!


 
Joined
Mar 17, 2005
Messages
2,266
Reaction score
0
I just had mine done again recently and I didn't need a consultation. I mean, I sat down in the chair before getting washed and he looked at my roots and all. But out of all the times I've gone there, I only had one consultation and that was the very first time I ever had it done. Maybe you can go in on a Saturday and get a consultation. They are even open on Sundays. They are closed Mondays but have late hours during the week nights. Their new hours really accomodate people that work late and can't make it during the day.

 
Joined
Mar 17, 2005
Messages
2,266
Reaction score
0
Oh - also the prices are on their website. I am not sure if I am allowed to post a link to their site on here...though.


 

Latest posts

Top