"blued"

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
sorry for the 2nd question today LOL

okay, so i'm looking at the new MAC textures and i click on feelright and the description describes the color as a "muted blued pink". this isn't the first time i'm seeing this, so that's why i'm asking and know it's important when describing a color. how can you get blue outta the color? obviously it's not right there in your face or maybe it is. that's why i'm asking
icon_cheesygrin.gif

It's similiar to skin tone: some people have yellow undertones, while others have pink or green (olive) undertones. Their skin isn't actually yellow but the prominent underlying base color is.

In your case, "blue" refers to the undertone of that particular lipstick shade. If you think about red lipstick, there is a spectrum of shades. Some reds are deeper/cooler, while others are warm shades that have orange undertones. On the color wheel, blue is complimentary to orange. Those deeper, cool toned red lipsticks often have a blue base.

Does this make sense? If you click here, you can arrange all of MAC's lipsticks by color spectrum. Here are two examples:

Lipstick, Russian Red

Intense bluish-red (Matte)

Lipstick, Ruckus

Bold, bright coral-orange red (Amplified Creme)

Hope this helps!

it really does help, joy. thank you SOOOO much!

tertiary_triange_wheel.gif

okay, so the russian red is described as a bluish-red, which means it'd be towards the orange side since it needs to be completely opposite, right? so, if i actually put the russian red on my lips, it'd come out (completely ignoring the pigments of my lips) red-orange - i hope
icon_wink.gif

Maybe mentioning the color wheel made it more confusing! The reason we talk in terms of blue versus orange is because they're exact opposites of each other. So you have this wide spectrum:

(warm) orange-----Ruckus-------red--------Russian Red------blue (cool)

And it works out like it sounds: bluish-red lipstick has blue undertones (thus looks darker/deeper) and orange-red lipstick has orange undertones (thus looks warm/orange). And as for your pink lipstick, pink is really just red softened with white. So the principles are the same.

i thought i had it
frown.gif

okay, so let's try with this one...

x-treme (i picked it randomly on mac's site)

Intense reddish-orange brown

this would mean...

orange---x-treme---red

right?
icon_neutral.gif

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR TAKING THE TIME OUT TO HELP ME WITH THIS
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Jennifer i thought i had it
frown.gif

okay, so let's try with this one...

x-treme (i picked it randomly on mac's site)

Intense reddish-orange brown

this would mean...

orange---x-treme---red

right?
icon_neutral.gif

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR TAKING THE TIME OUT TO HELP ME WITH THIS
smile.gif

Yup, you got it!

icon_cheesygrin.gif
Even though this color is primarily brown, it falls into the "warm" category (as it's orangeish-red).
I think this was a great question btw!
smile.gif

oh, i didn't even notice the "brown" on the end
frown.gif

i'm glad you think it's a good question because i was starting to think i was dumb LOL!

here's another (i'm sorry!)...

now i know what the color's (whatever color it is) described as because it says so, but what if someone just holds up a lipstick in front of me and asks me to be exact with the undertone, color, base, etc. what would you say? could you give me some examples?

thank you so much!

Originally Posted by Trisha OOh thanks for posting this wheel, ive saved it! We used this great wheel at Stila training that you could mess round with (ie/ turn it to me new colours and stuff), but i cant find one on the net anywhere xx you're welcome
smile.gif

Latest posts

Back