break out those fall/winter recipes and post here! mine: roasted duck

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
roasted duck

4 1/2 lb. duck.

prick skin

salt and pepper

roast breast up for 45 min. @ 350 F.

drain fat

add cubes of potatoes and turnips. salt and pepper them.

roast 20 min. turn veg.

turn temp up to 500 F, roast 15 min. more.

rest 10-20 min.

this is for a well done duck. for medium to medium rare, decrease the first cooking time.

variations:

4 pears, sliced

10 shallots, sliced

add them in place of the veg in the original recipe. 20 min after adding, sprinkle with

2 T brown sugar

turn. cook 20 min more. resume original recipe.

a l'orange:

2 oranges

2 lemons

juice fruit

1/2 c gran marnier

1/4 c sugar

1/3 c vinegar

2 c chx stock

deglaze roasting pan with sauce ingredients. thicken with

1 T cornstarch

simmer 2-3 min.

Originally Posted by haloinrverse roasted duck
4 1/2 lb. duck.

prick skin

salt and pepper

roast breast up for 45 min. @ 350 F.

drain fat

add cubes of potatoes and turnips. salt and pepper them.

roast 20 min. turn veg.

turn temp up to 500 F, roast 15 min. more.

rest 10-20 min.

this is for a well done duck. for medium to medium rare, decrease the first cooking time.

variations:

4 pears, sliced

10 shallots, sliced

add them in place of the veg in the original recipe. 20 min after adding, sprinkle with

2 T brown sugar

turn. cook 20 min more. resume original recipe.

a l'orange:

2 oranges

2 lemons

juice fruit

1/2 c gran marnier

1/4 c sugar

1/3 c vinegar

2 c chx stock

deglaze roasting pan with sauce ingredients. thicken with

1 T cornstarch

simmer 2-3 min.

I Love duck!! though I've never had the nerve to attempt it myself..Always thought it was harder then that..Thanks for the receipe..I'm gonna try it
biggrin.gif

I've been eyeballing this one.

Caramel Apple Cake

INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 medium tart apples, peeled, cored and coarsely chopped
  • Caramel Topping, heated
PREPARATION:

In a mixing bowl with electric mixer, beat together sugar, oil, cinnamon, and vanilla. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Mix in the flour, baking powder, and salt, stirring just until blended.<SCRIPT>zSB(3,3);if(!z336){var zIsb=document.getElementById("adsb");if(zIsb){zIsb .style.display="inline";zIsb.style.height="0px";zI sb.style.width="0px";}var zIss=document.getElementById("adss");if(zIss){zIss .style.display="inline";zIss.style.height="0px";zI ss.style.width="0px";}}</SCRIPT> Stir in apples. Pour apple cake batter into a greased 9-inch square pan. Bake at 350° until cake springs back when touched lightly in the center, about 30 to 40 minutes. With a fork, pierce cake all over. Pour hot caramel topping over cake. Serve warm or at room temperature with a dollop of sweetened whipped cream or whipped topping.

Caramel Topping

• 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1/4 cup heavy cream
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
Combine brown sugar, butter, and cream in a heavy saucepan over medium heat; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer; continue cooking and stirring for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Pour caramel topping over hot apple cake.

Great thread, halo! Here's my all-time favorite fall/winter dish. It's hearty, yet delicate and lick-the-plate delicious. It's also a fast dish - it's all done and ready to eat in about 30 minutes. MEN LOVE THIS!:

Jaeger Schnitzel

1 lb fresh veal cutlets, scaloppine cut (thinnest cut) if possible

2 eggs

1 tsp salt

3/4 tsp. ground pepper

1/2 cup all-purpose flour

1 1/2 cup bread crumbs

3/4 cup real butter (c'mon, use the real thing! the results are fantabulous...)

Gruyere cheese, thinly sliced

chopped fresh parsley as topping, if desired.

[*]Using a large ziplock bag, place the cutlets inside and roll them with a rolling pin until 1/8th inch thickness. This is easy - fresh veal flattens quickly.
wink.gif

[*]Combine the eggs, salt and pepper.

[*]Dredge the cutlets in the flour, dip in egg mixture and coat in bread crumbs.

[*]Melt HALF the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add half of cutlets, cooking about 4 minutes. Turn cutlets and top with cheese. Cover skillet with a lid and cook for 2-3 minutes, depending on how brown the coating is looking.

[*]Remove from skillet and transfer to a covered dish.

[*]Repeat process with remaining butter, veal and cheese.

[*]Serve with brown mushroom sauce (below) and cooked egg noodles.

Brown Mushroom Sauce:

3-4 slices of onion

1/2 cup mushroom slices

2 tablespoons of butter

1 1/2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour

1 cup beef stock (I make this from bouillon)

1/8 teaspoon pepper

[*]Heat butter in skillet over low-medium heat and add onion and mushroom. Saute until onion is tender, then pull out onion slices.

[*]Continue to cook the mushrooms until the butter begins to brown, then slowly add the flour, stirring until smooth. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.

[*]Gradually stir in beef stock. Raise the temperature and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened and bubbling.

[*]Stir in pepper.

but...but... veal is a baby cow *sniff, sniff*

Originally Posted by KittySkyfish Great thread, halo! Here's my all-time favorite fall/winter dish. It's hearty, yet delicate and lick-the-plate delicious. It's also a fast dish - it's all done and ready to eat in about 30 minutes. MEN LOVE THIS!:
Jaeger Schnitzel

1 lb fresh veal cutlets, scaloppine cut (thinnest cut) if possible

2 eggs

1 tsp salt

3/4 tsp. ground pepper

1/2 cup all-purpose flour

1 1/2 cup bread crumbs

3/4 cup real butter (c'mon, use the real thing! the results are fantabulous...)

Gruyere cheese, thinly sliced

chopped fresh parsley as topping, if desired.

[*]Using a large ziplock bag, place the cutlets inside and roll them with a rolling pin until 1/8th inch thickness. This is easy - fresh veal flattens quickly.
wink.gif

[*]Combine the eggs, salt and pepper.

[*]Dredge the cutlets in the flour, dip in egg mixture and coat in bread crumbs.

[*]Melt HALF the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add half of cutlets, cooking about 4 minutes. Turn cutlets and top with cheese. Cover skillet with a lid and cook for 2-3 minutes, depending on how brown the coating is looking.

[*]Remove from skillet and transfer to a covered dish.

[*]Repeat process with remaining butter, veal and cheese.

[*]Serve with brown mushroom sauce (below) and cooked egg noodles.

Brown Mushroom Sauce:

3-4 slices of onion

1/2 cup mushroom slices

2 tablespoons of butter

1 1/2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour

1 cup beef stock (I make this from bouillon)

1/8 teaspoon pepper

[*]Heat butter in skillet over low-medium heat and add onion and mushroom. Saute until onion is tender, then pull out onion slices.

[*]Continue to cook the mushrooms until the butter begins to brown, then slowly add the flour, stirring until smooth. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.

[*]Gradually stir in beef stock. Raise the temperature and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened and bubbling.

[*]Stir in pepper.

And very delicious! Sorry Tiny.

Originally Posted by Tinydancer but...but... veal is a baby cow *sniff, sniff*

Halo, the roast duck sounds fantastic! Our wonderful neighbor bought us over dinner tonight, Cornish game hen with peach glaze and wild rice, really good. Here is a recipe I found a few years back in a magazine and I make it every fall, my family loves it and it makes the house smell so good when its baking.

Candy Apple Walnut Pie

6 cups thinly sliced cooking apples (Granny Smith, Jonathan or Rome)

2/3 cup chopped walnuts

1/2 cup of cinnamon red hot candies

1/3 cup plus 2 Tablespoons sugar, divided usage.

1/3 cup all purpose flour

2 frozen deep dish pie crust

1) In a large bowl, toss together apples, walnuts, cinnamon candies, 1/3 cup of sugar and flour. Pour into one frozen pie crust.

2) Break or crumble second frozen pie crust into very small pieces, toss with remaining sugar. Sprinkle over apples.

3) Bake in a preheated 375* oven on a preheated baking sheet 55 to 60 minutes or until candies melt and bubble up through the crumbled crust. Cool completely before serving.

ali, you have to try it. roasting a duck is even easier than a chicken, because you dont have to flip it around and prop it on its side, then the other side, etc. plus, theres so much fat in the skin that to defy you to over cook it. i dont think it can be done. lol. kittyskyfish, who doesnt use butter? let me at em! anything less is kinda gross. no war foods for me. lol. ok, maybe some jello. i might have to give those cakes a try! i dont much like to bake, so its a banner event when i bake something more complicated than a boxed cake mix.

Thank you halo - butter is pure heaven! mmmmm...!

Originally Posted by haloinrverse ali, you have to try it. roasting a duck is even easier than a chicken, because you dont have to flip it around and prop it on its side, then the other side, etc. plus, theres so much fat in the skin that to defy you to over cook it. i dont think it can be done. lol. kittyskyfish, who doesnt use butter? let me at em! anything less is kinda gross. no war foods for me. lol. ok, maybe some jello. i might have to give those cakes a try! i dont much like to bake, so its a banner event when i bake something more complicated than a boxed cake mix.

Latest posts

Back