Budget Brands. Who do you rate?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I was writing a lil blog on my recent budget brand make up haul (found here) and I have to say, I'm rather impressed at the number of budget (and by that I mean not your normal high street names like Revlon, Maybelline, Rimmel, etc...) I mean the really budget brands like Sleek, MUA and Collection 2000 that keep appearing in our pharmacy's and supermarkets (at least here in the UK) that not only boast low low prices, but also high quality products that can rival even premium beauty brands.

I've named a few of the brands I am aware of that are quality products for often, less than £5, which ones do you know about? am I missing any?

I'm not sure if you have them in the UK but I LOVE Jordana Best Lash Extreme Volumizing Mascara. It's sold in drugstores for $2.99 and is HIGHLY popular on Makeup Alley. One of my FAVORITE mascaras ever.  They also have great super cheap lip liners, pencil liners, and lip glosses.

Wet-N-Wild has some good stuff too. I recently purchased an eyeshadow palette that's gorgeous and about $2.99. When used with a primer it has great staying power and payoff.

I'm a fan of elf's studio line. Their blushes are pretty decent, and they're only $3 each. Elf has has some stuff that's really awesome, and then it has other items that are a huge colossal failure. It's definitely hit or miss, but if you get a miss, at least you're not out too much money. 

I can't say that I've ever tried any of the Crown brushes, but I can make some comparisons to MAC. The elf studio line is very reasonably priced, and the brushes are soft, apply the product evenly, and I've never had any problems with shedding. Can't say the same for the MAC ones, though. They apply and blend nicely, but a lot of mine shed like bonkers. I've been pretty impressed with the elf studio brushes. 

Originally Posted by spittingpink /img/forum/go_quote.gif

with the elf brushes, how do they compare to say...crown brushes?

I love and regularly use Milani, NYX, Wet n Wild, and ELF.

My 100 palette from ELF probably gets the most use of any makeup item I own.

NYX gets my vote for best budget brand. I really like several of their products. LipGloss and EyeShadows are my favs from NYX. 

ELF just doesn't work for me. I like:

Milani

Essence

Wet n Wild

Jesse's Girl pigments

NYC

I've tried NYX but I'm not too impressed with the quality!

What about UK brands? any uk peeps have any good reviews?

I love Sleek, Models Own, Lumene, ELF, Jordana, NYC, Hard Candy and Wet N Wild. Outside of that, I buy high end or indie.  Most other drug store brands test on animals or are unsatisfactory for being on the higher side of drug store pricing.

Back