California Legislature Approves Gay Marriage

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by destiny

How can you ban discussion on politics, when you asked a question about a political issue? Doesn't make sense.
I found this discussion very informative and educative. It's nice to hear other people's opinions, even if we don't agree. That's how we learn best.

that thread was opened was before we banned them my love.
People get too worked up over politics and such. They end up hating each other.

Originally Posted by gamaki

Oh Tony! see what happens when you get a bunch of opinionated-makeup-loving women together trying to discuss an issue?!..lol...look what you created!
icon_lol.gif

LOL I know!!!

Originally Posted by **Jen** Bluebee, my company gives insurance to Partners male or female as long as they give proof they are living together for a certain amount of time. I don't understand why your husband's company will only give insurance to a gay partner? That sounds a little conflicting to me. Not sure if I read that your post correctly. Basically his insurance company will allow for same sex partners to be placed on a company insurance but a couple (male/female) are unable to do this unless they are married. Ex: If a lesbian couple have been living together for 6 months, she can put her partner on her insurance plan. However, a boyfriend can not put his girlfriend or fiancee (no matter how long they have been together) on the insurance until they get married.

Originally Posted by wongy74 The United States Constitution guarantees the right to marry. Therefore, it should not matter what race, gender, religion, etc. the couple may be. Right or wrong, moral or immoral- that is not the issue to me. It is the law and the law should be as it stands and upheld as it stands today.
Moreover, denying homosexuals the right to marry is discrimination, much like the discrimination against African-Americans that took place in this country. In earlier years, some people had believed that marriages between races was "unnatural." For instance, in Loving v Virginia (1967), a black woman and a white man had been found guilty of violating Virginia's ban on interracial marriages and ordered to leave the state. The Supreme Court found Virginia's law to violate the Equal Protection Clause because it invidiously classified on the basis of race, but it also indicated the law would violate the Due Process Clause as an undue interference with 'the fundamental freedom" of marriage.

In the end, the marriage was between a MAN & WOMAN. However, I do not recall the United States Constitution "guaranting the right to marry" or even if the word marriage is mentioned in the Constitution but if there is such an admendment, article or bill could you please post it.
P.S. I'm sorry but discrimination against African Americans is in my opinion not the same or even much like discrimination against gays/lesbians. Honestly, I get bothered when people try to compare the two to prove a point being that being gay/lesbian is not an outward apperance. Discrimination only happens to gays/lesbians when they tell that they are gay while discrimination to African Americans happens because one sees your skintone.

Originally Posted by **Jen** Another thing I wanted to touch on is how children raised in an atmosphere against gays and lesbians. This sort of thing is not going away.....you are seeing it more and more because more people are saying "I'm not living in the closet anymore, I know nothing is wrong with me, I AM NORMAL, GOD DID MAKE ME THIS WAY" Your discriminatory comments about gays being NOT NORMAL are not the way to bring your children up. They will grow up not liking gays and lesbians.
Also, not to just bluebee but to all that disagree with the way Gays and Lesbians are, they are just as good as you or I to bring up children, there are millions of children who don't have parents, or have parents that beat them or neglect them, why should they be any less fortunate then we are to adopt. I just don't get it...

Sorry Tony--this was directed at me so I'll respond.
cool.gif

@ JEN-- A bit of advice. You should go back and reread my post(s) or rather if you had read my post you would already know my position on the situation. I don't even recall me saying gays/lesbians shouldn't be raising children. Perhaps you have my posting confused with someone else's.

Bluebee, perhaps I did get your post confused with someone else's however a bit of advice to you, if you weren't so flippant with your responses, I bet you would receive a lot more positive feedback regarding your views. I'm sure there will be a rebuttal waiting for me, however I'm done responding in this thread due to responses like the above.

Originally Posted by bluebee Sorry Tony--this was directed at me so I'll respond.
cool.gif

@ JEN-- A bit of advice. You should go back and reread my post(s) or rather if you had read my post you would already know my position on the situation. I don't even recall me saying gays/lesbians shouldn't be raising children. Perhaps you have my posting confused with someone else's.

Just because I don't all out agree with everything doesn't mean I don't respect or take others seriously but I have no need for positive feedback on my views (they are exactly that my views as your are your views) nor do I need anyone to agree with them or seek approval, however, I will respond when addressed and address other when I have questions or comments.

It's not surprising how many people are agaisnt gay marriage due to their religion. They don't like the fact that the word marriage is used. I want to know why? Is it a belief that marriage can only be used in a Christian and heterosexual couple?

I'm for gay marriage. I believe there should be absolutely no discrimination in this issue. I'm not a Christian and my I've discussed this matter with people who share the same religeous views as me. We tended to reach the same conclusion - if two people who love eachother want to enter into a legally binding marriage then why can't they? Why is their sex so important?

On a side note, 2 of my work collegues are gay men. One of them has been in a relationship for 3 years. They live together, wear wedding bands and have named eachother in their wills. They want to make it a legal thing but they're not allowed.

Back