California Legislature Approves Gay Marriage

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
How do you MAKEUPTALK users feel about this(reply with your thoughts):

===================

California Legislature Approves Gay Marriage

SACRAMENTO, Calif — Gay rights supporters cheered loudly from the gallery as California lawmakers became the first in the country to approve a bill allowing same-sex marriages. But their celebration may be short-lived.

The legislation could be vetoed by Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, who has expressed an acceptance of gay marriages but said it's an issue that should be decided by voters or the courts.

"He will uphold whatever the court decides," spokeswoman Margita Thompson said Tuesday after the state Assembly approved the same-sex marriage measure, 41-35. The Senate had approved it last week.

A state appellate court is considering appeals of a lower court ruling that overturned California laws banning recognition of gay marriages. And opponents of same-sex marriage are trying to qualify initiatives for the 2006 ballot that would amend the state Constitution to ban gay marriages.

The bill's supporters compared the legislation to earlier civil rights campaigns, including efforts to eradicate slavery and give women the right to vote.

"Do what we know is in our hearts," said the bill's sponsor, San Francisco Democrat Mark Leno. "Make sure all California families will have the same protection under the law."

But opponents repeatedly cited the public's vote five years ago to approve Proposition 22 (search), which prohibits California from recognizing same-sex marriages performed in other states or countries.

"History will record that you betrayed your constituents and their moral and ethical values," Republican Assemblyman Jay La Suer said.

Leno had sponsored an earlier bill that fell four votes short of passing the Assembly in June. He kept the issue alive by adding the language of the defeated measure to another bill that had already passed the Assembly and was awaiting action in the Senate.

The Senate approved that bill and sent it back to the Assembly for another vote. Four Democrats who didn't vote the last time tipped the scales.

One of them, Assemblyman Tom Umberg, said Tuesday he was concerned about what his three children would think of him if he didn't join those "who sought to take a leadership role in terms of tolerance, equality and fairness."

California already gives same-sex couples many of the rights and duties of marriage if they register with the state as domestic partners.

Massachusetts' highest court ruled in November 2003 that the state constitution guarantees same-sex couples the right to marry. The nation's first state-sanctioned, same-sex weddings began taking place in May 2004.

Vermont began offering civil unions in 2000, after a ruling by the state's Supreme Court. Earlier this year, Connecticut became the first state to approve civil unions without being forced by the courts.

Tuesday's vote showed that gay rights advocates have "turned the corner on the issue of marriage equality for lesbian and gay couples," said Geoff Kors, executive director of Equality California, a backer of the bill.

"As the debate today shows, love conquers fear, principle conquers politics and equality conquers injustice, and the governor can now secure his legacy as a true leader by signing this bill," he said.

But Randy Thomasson, president of the Campaign for Children and Families, a conservative group opposed to the bill, said Schwarzenegger should veto it.

"Schwarzenegger can't afford to sign the gay marriage license bill," he said. "He'll actually become a hero to the majority of Californians when he vetoes it."

How do you MAKEUPTALK users feel about this(reply with your thoughts):

I'm all for gay marriages, I don't think there's any rational reason to be against it, if 2 people love eachother and they want to get married,fine by me
smile.gif

Over here there wasn't a lot of discussion about same sex marriages, however, the discussion about whether or not gay couples can adopt children is a little more intense.

i am also for gay marriage, though i am not sure i agree with the way everything is being handled. i understand that our fellow gay/lesbian citizens are very frustrated, but the way they are literally pushing this issue, some people who are maybe undecided, may be scared away, or just get angry. i hate when something is being pushed in my face, i automatically turn the other way. You can't change a nation's view over night, it takes time and understanding, but just like our whole nation, everybody is so impatient these days. looking for changes or even a career etc. right away.

Same with adoption of children. it is way to early to be discussing this. and SO the wrong time. people are dealing with an enormous amount of stress and confusion over politics, war, economy, even natural catastrophes. Nobody is willing to listen. and even though i KNOW that gay/lesbian couples would be great parents, this is more about the rest of the world. the ones that don't accept this, the other children who find this weird etc. (and we all know children can be so cruel with their comments), the adopted child may suffer psychological consequences due to this, not because of the gay/lesbian couple and their relationship.

sad, but true.

And i hope the bill goes true. but there will be a heck of a fight over this.

Ouch, sensitive topic, Tony! Are you trying to start some debates around here?
wink.gif

Personally, same-sex marriages go against my religious beliefs. However I know that this country is also supposed to separate church from state, so from a purely political, non-religious view I really can't see anything wrong with same-sex marriages or why such a bill should not be passed... Though destiny also makes some good points about why this may not be the best time to pass this bill!

Originally Posted by girl_geek However I know that this country is also supposed to separate church from state, so from a purely political, non-religious view I really can't see anything wrong with same-sex marriages or why such a bill should not be passed... I admire you for this viewpoint girl_geek.
As for me, I support gay marriage.

I'm for same-sex Civil Unions, not necessarily marriage. The word "marriage" is too broad.

I am also for same sex marriages. As the others have mentioned, if they love each other, why not? They are no different than straight couples. It goes against my religion as well, but hey....

Originally Posted by Elise In what sense? Because it has a religius connotation? Just curious!
g020.gif

Where I come from, only civil marriages are valid so those who want to marry in church have two wedding ceremonies. I was just wondering if i'm not quite ''getting'' what this word means in an American culture.

Marriage, to me, includes both religious and civil unions.

I support gay unions, but I believe marriage is defined as MAN and WOMAN. I do not think it should be the term marriage.

I think gay marriages should be allowed, and honeslty I don't understand the people who are against. Cause for most of them its religious reasons, but then again not everyone goes by the SAME religion. Its like making the people who don't wear religous items of clothing, forced to wear them even though they don't believe in it. sorta.... And for those who think it just disgusting, well, they are just so **** selfish!!!
icon_mad.gif

I support gay marriage 100%, but I too wish they invented another word (and law) for gay couples instead of "marriage"

Originally Posted by lilyindavis I support gay marriage 100%, but I too wish they invented another word (and law) for gay couples instead of "marriage" Why should it have a different name? Are you saying that their sexual orientation overrides their rights to marriage and commitment to another? I really don't understand why people are so concerned with differentiating gay people from straight; aren't we all humans?

Originally Posted by anne7 Why should it have a different name? Are you saying that their sexual orientation overrides their rights to marriage and commitment to another? I really don't understand why people are so concerned with differentiating gay people from straight; aren't we all humans? In MY OPINION, marriage is a sacred union between a man and a woman (and this comes from my faith in Christianity), not between two men or two women. I think they should have the right to legally commit to each other, but something different from "marriage" that heterosexual couples go through. And religion is the biggest issue regarding union within the same sex b/c religion and state are not going to be separated any time soon (have you heard anything about the pledge of allegiance?). Yes, we are all humans, but there are bigger issues at hand.

As Chris Rock said, gay/lesbian couples should be able to marry as well, they should also have the right to be as miserable as we are!
icon_cheesygrin.gif
haha

Originally Posted by lilyindavis In MY OPINION, marriage is a sacred union between a man and a woman (and this comes from my faith in Christianity), not between two men or two women. I think they should have the right to legally commit to each other, but something different from "marriage" that heterosexual couples go through. And religion is the biggest issue regarding union within the same sex b/c religion and state are not going to be separated any time soon (have you heard anything about the pledge of allegiance?). Yes, we are all humans, but there are bigger issues at hand. There are bigger issues than equality and freedom? I think that is where most problems in the world stem from. Honestly, how does it affect you and your personal life if gay people enter a marriage? I still don't understand your reasoning for 'something different' that gay people must go through. It really isn't anyone else's business who one choses to marry, anyways.

Originally Posted by anne7 There are bigger issues than equality and freedom? I think that is where most problems in the world stem from. Honestly, how does it affect you and your personal life if gay people enter a marriage? I still don't understand your reasoning for 'something different' that gay people must go through. It really isn't anyone else's business who one choses to marry, anyways. Christianity is a HUGE part of my life, and gay marriage really stands against Christian tradition. To me, gay marriage is sacriligious. So yeah it does affect me actually.

Originally Posted by lilyindavis Christianity is a HUGE part of my life, and gay marriage really stands against Christian tradition. To me, gay marriage is sacriligious. So yeah it does affect me actually. Well, you didn't answer my other questions....However, I understand that you don't approve of gay marriage, but I would like to know how it affects you, not how you view it.

By the way, I am not trying to condescend your faith, but would like to know your honest answers. I have asked people before when they have the same views as yourself, but they refuse to say HOW it affects them, not just what they think of it.

Latest posts

Back