Can anyone recommend a realistically colored eyebrow shadow or pencil?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
i have a really hard time finding an eyebrow shadow or light pencil to fill in and even out my brows. i can't say i have looked all that hard; i usually just raid the drugstore when i am feeling desperate!

i have pretty dark brows, but not dark enough for the darkest of colors, and not light enough for the medium shades. usually they are not ashy enough and have too much yellow or red.

does anyone else have similar coloring and has found a good, reliable pencil? thanks for your help!

jessica

an inexpense pencil you may want to try is tropez in buttered rum or spiced ginger. i think that they work great and only cost .99!

Originally Posted by jessica9 i have a really hard time finding an eyebrow shadow or light pencil to fill in and even out my brows. i can't say i have looked all that hard; i usually just raid the drugstore when i am feeling desperate!
i have pretty dark brows, but not dark enough for the darkest of colors, and not light enough for the medium shades. usually they are not ashy enough and have too much yellow or red.

does anyone else have similar coloring and has found a good, reliable pencil? thanks for your help!

jessica

Do you have blonde hair or brown hair? I have found one by Rimmell, it is a brow pencil with a little brow brush thing on the cap...

It is a medium brown color called Hazel. I have dark brown-black brows and this pencil does a good job of filling in my brows without looking like I have dark brow shadow or pencil on.

Have you tried Stila Brow powder?

Each shade comes in 2 colours so you can use the lighter shade to fill in and the darker shade to define.

P8434_hero.jpg
I find powder gives a much more natural look than pencil which can look a bit drawn on if you do it in a rush.

They do a range of shades Fair, Medium, Warm and Dark. I know myself and Trisha both use the dark ones, but my eyebrows are almost black.

M39E_261.jpg
Try MAC "Brow Sets." They're like mascara for the brows-- they add color, but not so much that it looks like you penciled in your brows, and they also help to groom and shape the brow. The "Brow Set" can also be used overtop of brow pencil for a groomed-defined look, or alone for a more natural, dewy finish.

There are 6 shades to choose from: you should be able to find one for your brow color ("Show Off" could work).

If you're partial to a brow pencil, I use a Wet n' Wild brow/eye pencil-- its cheap, and works very well.
icon_cheesygrin.gif

thanks for all the suggestions! lealabell...that stilla brow set looks like what i am looking for. i agree that pencil can be a bit too harsh. i have pale to medium skin, dark hair, eyes and brows, but my brows are just a flat dark ash brown. maybe i need to stay away from a warm color and opt for dark? i'll try it out and let you guys know...think i'll pick up some of the mac brow set too, ikebana! thanks for you the help y'all!

jessica

i use a regular mac eye shdaow to fill in my brows. but i have thick dark brows, so it's easy for me to use and don't need a whole lot of definition.

I have dark, ash brown brows too, and I've found two products I really like. One is NYC Browser Kit in Brunette, and the other is Maybelline Brow Gel in Taupe. I use the NYC kit until the wax side is gone, and then I use the remaining powder and top it with the Maybelline Brow Gel. It works well for me!!
smile.gif

Originally Posted by jessica9 maybe i need to stay away from a warm color and opt for dark? i'll try it out and let you guys know...think i'll pick up some of the mac brow set too, ikebana! thanks for you the help y'all! If you can get to a counter check it out there to make sure you get the right shade for you, the dark brow set isn't really cool or warm toned so it should work for most skin tones. The light shade on the dark is really good, sometimes if I want my brows to stay in place I layer Origins brow groomer (not sure what it's called over then top).

wow...leadfoot! that shadow kit looks really good! do you use the brunette or the dark brown?

Originally Posted by FeistyFemme I have dark, ash brown brows too, and I've found two products I really like. One is NYC Browser Kit in Brunette, and the other is Maybelline Brow Gel in Taupe. I use the NYC kit until the wax side is gone, and then I use the remaining powder and top it with the Maybelline Brow Gel. It works well for me!!
smile.gif
I have used this on my grandma when I do her makeup. Before, she used black/brown liner (eek!) and it looked weird. She used to have black/brown hair in her twenties, but not anymore, so it looked really witchy. Her eyebrows are really sparse, and not really in a shape, so I think powder works best. But I think the Browser set is worth looking into, I have heard it is similar to Smashbox's Brow Tech.

I am a bit obsessed with eyebrows because I look like I have none without makeup because they are SO blonde. I hate it because my hair got darker as I got older but my eyebrows didn't change one bit.

Anyway, all of these suggestions sound great. I have many of the products listed here and depending on what mood I am in, I use many different products. One that isn't mentioned here that I like alot is a brow pencil by Make Up For Ever. It's totally unlike any other pencil I have ever used because it's a pencil with a powder consistency. It goes on like powder and can also be used wet for more definition. If you are the type that likes the ease of a pencil, give it a try. I find some of the pencils made for brows are too creamy and rich so they get caked on easily, which doesn't look as natural.

P.S.OH...and by far, the best eyebrow brush I have tried so far, is the one made by NARS.

Originally Posted by gamaki P.S.OH...and by far, the best eyebrow brush I have tried so far, is the one made by NARS. I'll have to check that one out. I'm turning into a brush fiend!

Latest posts

Back