Can't stop my oil drenched face! grr

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I tried the quo primer that was said to be a close resemblence to smashbox photofinish, and I've tried chaffing gel that's suggested as a great alternative for skin primer and my face still looks super shiny
banghead.gif

First of all, let me tell you this is my routine.

1. I cleanse my face, mix 50/50 aloe vera gel and aveeno moisturizer and apply it, wait a bit
  2. apply quo primer or chaffing gel then take the time to striaghten my hair
  3. apply mineral makeup wet (I am also using a formula for oily skin), powder to set
However I have to tell you that after cleansing, my face get pretty tight (dry-ish).. so all this oil controlling mmu and powder makes my face very matte, but then I have to do this because my face gets super oily after a couple of hours and I'd have to do touch ups every hour or so which gets really annoying.
I would also like to add that the chaffing gel seems to work better than the quo primer although it has a weird smell to it. Quo does little mattifying for me whereas when I use the chaffing gel, you instantly see your skin matte when you apply it (it's also thicker in consistency) both are very smooth however. And with all this being said, I have had the chance to drop by sephora and use the smashbox tester and quo has the same consistency and feel.

I don't want to pay $44 for smashbox, so is there something or a product I can use that can help my problem?

My experience with both mineral makeup and primer is that my skin got oily, and I have dry skin. I used Bare Minerals...yuck made me super shiny within a few hours. I have tried every primer out there and I think they made my makeup slide off my face.

What about trying your mineral makeup without the other stuff??

You are double moisturizing with aloe and Aveeno. I think that is a detriment to oiliness in general.

I have really oily skin myself. All mineral makeup makes me soooo greasy. I just started using Witch Hazel as a toner right before my light moisturizer and it worked wonders! HTH. Oh and I had the smashbox primer, and that didn't do much at all.

Originally Posted by SewAmazing /img/forum/go_quote.gif You are double moisturizing with aloe and Aveeno. I think that is a detriment to oiliness in general. I agree, could be that.

Try Make Up For ever matte loose powder that will definitely get rid of the oily skin and shine. It gives a super matte finish.

It has been my experience that mineral makeup tends to make skin look oily. I would also skip anything like a primer. A primer is to help your makeup go on smoother and give it staying powder. This can make your skin get shiny quicker. I think you need to focus on a very good skincare routine and not worry with the primer right now. Don't use anything harsh that can strip the skin and cause it to overproduce oil. Exfoliation is very important. If you have a good routine and exfoliate and are using a good skincare treatment plus spf under your makeup you should only have to worry with blotting during the day or blotting with a lunch time powder touch up.

Originally Posted by Jennifer /img/forum/go_quote.gif why do you throw aloe vera in there? The aloe vera and aveeno combined is less than the size of a pea. But I use aloe vera because it's a gel and when I use it alone my face still feels tight and dry, so I mix 50/50 with moisturizer because moisturizer alone is too greasy. Aloe vera makes it less shiny and greasy. (I don't think the aloe vera is moisturizing at all, it's not a name brand)

The fact that you keep saying that your skin ends up tight and dry yet it is oily makes me feel like your skin does not like what you are putting on it. I think it's irritating or drying it out causing it to overproduce oil. What is your exact cleanser and are you using a toner? If so what kind. Tell me your routine.

Originally Posted by avenged /img/forum/go_quote.gif The aloe vera and aveeno combined is less than the size of a pea. But I use aloe vera because it's a gel and when I use it alone my face still feels tight and dry, so I mix 50/50 with moisturizer because moisturizer alone is too greasy. Aloe vera makes it less shiny and greasy. (I don't think the aloe vera is moisturizing at all, it's not a name brand) if your moisturizer makes you too greasy, get a new moisturizer. also, just cuz aloe vera isn't a name brand doesn't mean anything lol

If your skin is more on the oily side, you should use a gel based moisturizer to keep the oil at bay, even using 100% aloe vera gel, like fruit of the earth will help tremendously, or should. The products you use and knowing what works best for your skin type is the best.

Have you ruled out combination skin? Most people who have oily skin are not tight after cleansing.

Originally Posted by Bellagigi /img/forum/go_quote.gif The fact that you keep saying that your skin ends up tight and dry yet it is oily makes me feel like your skin does not like what you are putting on it. I think it's irritating or drying it out causing it to overproduce oil. What is your exact cleanser and are you using a toner? If so what kind. Tell me your routine. I use clean n clear morning burst to cleanse my face.Apply a mix of 50/50 fruit of the earth aloe gel (i don't know if it's natural because it makes my eyes water) and aveeno moisturizer.

wait a couple minutes then apply quo primer, take the time to straigthen hair and then use lumiere mmu for oily skin applied wet, then NYC loose powder

Originally Posted by Solimar /img/forum/go_quote.gif If your skin is more on the oily side, you should use a gel based moisturizer to keep the oil at bay, even using 100% aloe vera gel, like fruit of the earth will help tremendously, or should. The products you use and knowing what works best for your skin type is the best.
Have you ruled out combination skin? Most people who have oily skin are not tight after cleansing.

I've thought that maybe i had combination, but it's really just after cleansing that my skin feels somewhat tight (w/o moisturizer) and if I apply moisturizer, then it's not tight, it just gets greasy quick. At night I use cetaphil moisturizer and in the morning when I wake up, my face looks as if I applied oil to my face.

First off, the best thing you can do for oil control is get on a moderate to high estrogen birth control. This will help reduce the amount of oil your face is producing.

As for primer, Smashbox just made a new primer LIGHT, which is for more oily skin types. After using their regular primer for a year, I tried the LIGHT when it came out and it's amazing!!! It really does the job!

Okay. I am not sure what your budget or comfort level is but since you have listed products in the drug store range I will start with that.

Have you tried good old Cetaphil for your cleanser? They make one for normal to oily and I highly recommend it. A lot of dermatologists do too. It doesn't leave a tight feeling and it washes off not leaving any residue behind that could irritate your skin. Loreal has a product called Transformance that you can use in place of any primer you have now. It is not sold as a primer but rather it helps soften your skin (ok for oily too) and it helps the look of your pores. It can also give your makeup more staying power. You would still need to use an SPF on top of this or one already formulated in your foundation. I think with your skin type you should definitely start thinking treatment instead of primers. I don't use primers and have never needed them. I have always taken excellent care of my skin and I only use a vitimin c based treatment under my spf foundation in the morning. I have combination to oily skin and this works well for me. I know it is not in the same price point as what you are currently using but Bliss has excellent cleansers for us. Blissout.com. There are two cleansers in particular that are excellent for our skin type. 1. Steep Clean and 2. Clog Dissolving Cleansing Milk. You can even leave them on your face for about 5 minutes as a little pick me up for exfoliation. I skip toners as I have always felt they caused my skin to get oilier from use. If you still want to use one go alcohol free. Bliss also has a fabulous dual formulation mask in the Steep Clean line that when used 2 to 3 times a week will help you with the oiliness. It's pricey but worth every penny.bliss steep clean - bliss This stuff keeps my face clear and glowing. It also helps me with nasty blackheads as after I use it those things extract right out without a fight. I guess my advice would be to switch out of the clean and clear line into Cetaphil for cleansing, get a great treatment that is vit c based to use under your foundation and make sure you have a mask or good exfoliant your using 2 to 3 times a week. I also recommend using a vit c based treatment at night. If you decide to venture outside of the drugstore range Bliss has great products for cleansing and mask treatments. Lancome Sensation Totale and Kiehls Powerful Strength Concentrate are excellent serums that are vit c based and work absolute wonders on your skins texture and tone. Oh and I don't know if it's been mentioned yet but make sure you are using loose powder to set your foundation instead of a pressed. Touch ups should be done with loose if you can swing it. Blot your face with tissue first then touch up with your loose powder. Your foundation may be a source of the oily problem as well and you may want to try something different to see if you get a better reaction. Avoid creams and mousse formulas.

maybe the products you are using are too drying and therefore your skins reaction is to produce more oil? just a thought. Maybe you could try changing your skincare routine by using products specifically designed for your skin type, then your make up may go on a little better. Also, I know Smashbox just came out with a primer for oily skin types, you could try this. Personally i think you should change your skincare first if you feel you are having a problem. good luck!

Latest posts

Back