Causes of Hair Damage

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Causes of Hair Damage<!-- End: Related Links -->

Chemicals:

Bleach,permanent and semipermanent colors, perms and straighteners all work by swelling the cuticle to get underneath it. This leaves the scales roughed up and prone to chipping or coming off altogether .Bleaching, perming and straightening also break down some of the protein bonds in the hair, weakening its structure.

Physical wear: Friction is responsible for more damage than most people realize. A rough brush or comb (or even a good brush or comb used too much), salt left on the hair after swimming or working out and even pillowcases cause friction. Other physical damage can result from abrasion from rubber bands, barrettes and other accessories. Just-washed hair is especially susceptible to mechanical damage -- when wet, hair loses its ability to stretch and bounce back.

Heat: Too-hot blow dryers, hot rollers, and curling and straightening implements all can crack cuticles and evaporate water in hair. However, adequate conditioning can insulate hair against low and medium heat.

Weather: Ultraviolet rays break down some of the protein bonds in hair. A little sun won't have too much of an effect on healthy hair (particularly if it's dark), but it can be pretty tough on chemically processed hair. And wind can rough up cuticles.

So true! There are many things besides chemicals that can damage the hair. If we use the right products we can have healthy looking hair. Like heat protectant products when we use a blow dryer, curl and straightening iron. Deep conditioning our hair and getting regular trims.

Very true! I'm currently testing out the Sun Care line from Keune Haircosmetics and although its not summer yet to give them the true test... I can tell these seem pretty good so far. I like all the UV filtering ingredients - and although I have dark hair, I know I still get UV damage because of the amt. of lightening I get when I'm in the sun. Great info Diane!
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Latest posts

Back