Ceramic Flat Irons

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Liz

Reaction score
Hi all. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for ceramic flat irons? Or the sapphire plated irons? (www.folica.com)

I have the Helen of Troy ceramic one, but it sucks. I got my hair cut last week, and she used a Chi and my hair felt amazing! But I think it's because she blew it out first. I don't know how to blow out my hair with a brush though. lol.

I heard that the Chi is good, but it has a history or breaking.

I ordered the Sedu, which is the top-rated one on folica.com. So I'll let everyone know how that works when I use it.

Does anyone have the Bion ones? Or the Solia's?

REVIEW:

Well, I bought the Sedu ceramic flat iron that is one folica.com . It came in yesterday and I used it last night. It worked very well. I have thick, slightly wavy, moerately frizzy hair with split ends. I only had to go over the section of hair once and it made it straight. Very easy to use.

The bad thing about it is that it doesn't have a hand grip for your other hand to help clamp the iron down. And the thing gets hot, so you can't put your hand on it. You don't really need to clamp it down though since it does it pretty well. I'm just used to using 2 hands to flat iron my hair. lol.

It did feel a little crispy last night, but I think it's because I used leave in conditioner and then Redken's heat protectant serum. So if I nix the leave in conditioner and just use a heat protectant, it should be fine. My hair always feels better the day after though. I don't know why. lol. But it does feel nice and soft and straight. I just have to figure out where the layers are in my hair so I can curl it under. argh. i do not have any kind of hair styling skills!! lol

Originally Posted by lizzyb831 Hi all. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for ceramic flat irons? Or the sapphire plated irons? (www.folica.com)I have the Helen of Troy ceramic one, but it sucks. I got my hair cut last week, and she used a Chi and my hair felt amazing! But I think it's because she blew it out first. I don't know how to blow out my hair with a brush though. lol.

I ordered the Sedu, which is the top-rated one on folica.com. So I'll let everyone know how that works when I use it.

I'm really not a big fan of flat irons... for touch ups here & there, they're fine... but I actually like the results I get from a blow dryer & ceramic brush better... But out of all the irons I've tried... the CHI is the best I've seen
icon_wink.gif

Yeah, you do get volume when you blow it out which is the nice part, but I have NO coordination with the brush and dryer. lol. I have thick and wierd hair also. When my hairdresser blew out my hair with just the blow dryer and brush, it looked wierd and kind of frizzy still, so she used the Chi to make it straighter.

Originally Posted by lizzyb831 Yeah, you do get volume when you blow it out which is the nice part, but I have NO coordination with the brush and dryer. lol. I have thick and wierd hair also. When my hairdresser blew out my hair with just the blow dryer and brush, it looked wierd and kind of frizzy still, so she used the Chi to make it straighter. Yeah, nowadays most stylists want you in and out... (sad as that is) because the more time they spend on you.... the less time they have to be getting someone else in their chair - so they pretty much do a rush job to get you out of the chair. Now this isn't everyone.. but a lot. Which sucks because half the time, they only barely dry it just enough to check the cut - but not enough for you to actually want to go out afterwards. If you go there specifically for a blowout.. then they will dry it and style it all the way. The easiest way to dry it at home - take 2 claw clips... and start by putting up all your hair except for about 2in. at the bottom... dry it with a large round ceramic barrel brush... then take down another 2in. section - leave the rest clipped up top... and continue until you are finished. You can also do the front and sides first if they tend to curl later in the day...
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Originally Posted by NYAngel98 I'm really not a big fan of flat irons... for touch ups here & there, they're fine... but I actually like the results I get from a blow dryer & ceramic brush better... But out of all the irons I've tried... the CHI is the best I've seen
icon_wink.gif
I have the CHI Turbo and I absolutely love it.

Originally Posted by stacie0129 I have the CHI Turbo and I absolutely love it. I love anything by Farouk - they're the best!
icon_cheesygrin.gif

I use a Kodo Ceramic Straightener & it heats to 210 desgrees celsius! I think its fantastic

I have GHD ceramic straightners and I couldn't get my hair straight by myslef without them. They weren't cheap, but they were voted UK Instyle Magazine's best straightening irons in their 150 top beauty buys.

Originally Posted by lizzyb831 Hi all. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for ceramic flat irons? Or the sapphire plated irons? (www.folica.com)I have the Helen of Troy ceramic one, but it sucks. I got my hair cut last week, and she used a Chi and my hair felt amazing! But I think it's because she blew it out first. I don't know how to blow out my hair with a brush though. lol.

Hi lizzy
smile.gif

i have wavy, thick and very unruly hair and ive tried all sorts of staighteners, but last year i found the absoloute best ceramic staighter in walmart...yes walmart....it is called CONAIR and it is around $25..thats all....and it has different heat settings and is multivoltage so u can use it anywhere, i put it on the highest heat setting because my hair is so stubborn.. This iron works wonders.....i highly recommend it to u!!!!

I've got the HAI ceramic flat iron which goes up to 400 degrees and it's amazing! Stick straight hair all day!

Originally Posted by bonbon412 I've got the HAI ceramic flat iron which goes up to 400 degrees and it's amazing! Stick straight hair all day! Just try to use a heat protectant spray before hand if yours gets that hot... it's a good temp. but can really fry if you use it often
smile.gif

Originally Posted by NYAngel98 I love anything by Farouk - they're the best!
icon_cheesygrin.gif
I agree with you. Their products are good. I love the Chi flat iron but really love their silk therapy.

I have conair ceramic straightening iron, i am not fond of useing straightening irons leaves my hair with no volume... I prefer brush and blow dryer.

I have a chi i have had it for over 2 years and it hasn't broken on me and it really is amazing it used to take me forever to straighten my hair now i can do it in 15 minutes.. I love it...

Originally Posted by princess220 i am not fond of useing straightening irons leaves my hair with no volume... I prefer brush and blow dryer. Same here
wink.gif

I was told anything over 374* is bad. Be careful.

Originally Posted by bonbon412 I've got the HAI ceramic flat iron which goes up to 400 degrees and it's amazing! Stick straight hair all day!

Originally Posted by jaimelynn83 I was told anything over 374* is bad. Be careful. Yeah, the hotter it is - the better it works, but you are REALLY taking a chance of major damage with temps that hot. Better something not as hot, and go over it a few times. Striaght hair isn't worth broken hair
wink.gif

I love my CHI. Now in just a matter of minutes I'm out the door unlike before.

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
I have the T3 Tourmaline 3/8 iron from Sephora. I absolutely LOVE it! It heats up really quickly, is a nice design (silver), and it works really well. It saves me a lot of time. I used to use HOT Tools and that damaged my hair so long and wouldn't friggin straighten properly so i thought i'd rather put my money into something expensive that works, than keep spending $50 on something that doesn't. So far i've had no worries. Yeah it gets super hot and i'm sure my hair would do better w/o straightening it whatsoever but what can i say..all straighteners do that. i also use TIGI products prior to styling to control frizz & 'protect' a little
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

~YourOne&Only

Originally Posted by Sofia I love my CHI. Now in just a matter of minutes I'm out the door unlike before. wow an iron that will save time?
biggrin.gif
All this talk about Chi. I want it badly now. * <s>adds to checklist </s>* wishlist. ^.^

I've bought 3 or 4 irons from drugstores and regular stores...And just kept getting disppointed because the irons made my hair more dry than straight. So they only sell the Chi iron online?

I usually don't buy anything online, but maybe it's worth it.
icon_confused.gif

So which Chi iron is the best?

Latest posts

Back