Change in Hair Color= Change in Makeup?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

Reaction score
Well, what do you all think of changes in makeup color if you change your hair color?

I am not refering to foundation, but to eye color, lip color and so forth.

I went from a highlighted blonde to dark red. I am loving the hair color and I am wondering what I need to do to jazz up the look. I feel washed out.

I have always used pinks and mauves for blush and lips, and eye color is anything goes- I will use blue, violet, green, gray, brown, gold...

Has anyone had to change their makeup when they change their hair?

And would anyone like to recommend ideas for me?
laughing.gif

Reaction score
I have heard that if you go darker, that you should wear more makeup. If you were a blonde, you did not need alot of makeup. If you are a brunette now, you might need more makeup so you won't look washed up.

Reaction score
When I took my black/brown hair blonde I changed alot of my colors. I didnt do much pow I felt the blue looked tacky as well as the HEAVY heavy make up. Im happy to have my dark hair back. The blonde really washed my skin tone out.

Reaction score
When I dyed my blonde hair a dark reddish brown, I changed a lot of my colors. I still like soft pink blushes but I've also started using darker apricot colors. I'm also able to wear brighter shades of eyeshadow and funky color combinations as well as really dark, dramatic smokey eyes. And, finally, now that I'm a brunnette, I can successfully pull of a red lip.

Reaction score
When I went from light brown with blondish highlights to a dark red, I went to MAC counter and they helped me pick differnt colors which would suit me best. So just go to a counter and they will help you
smile.gif

Reaction score
Definity....the darker my hair is....the more colors I can wear!

Reaction score
I reckon I'm in a miniority here since I've always had darker hair, and never had to worry about it. Even when I was a "red-head" I didn't worry about it.

Reaction score
I don't really think that it's necessary to wear more makeup with darker hair...it's just that you can get away with more without it looking over the top.
wink.gif

Reaction score
I am using the same colors even though I went from darkish red to blond. Seems to work for me, but I am certainly no expert.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by StereoXGirl /img/forum/go_quote.gif I don't really think that it's necessary to wear more makeup with darker hair...it's just that you can get away with more without it looking over the top.
wink.gif
Couldnt say it better myself. I just think it becomes easier for you to pull off things like heavy eyeliner, bright colors, smokey eyes etc. But some people can do this with blonde hair too. So really you dont have to change anything because of your hair, but if you feel washed out looking, go ahead and try braver things with your makeup, because you can probably pull it off super easily now
smile.gif

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Faith-Abigail /img/forum/go_quote.gif And, finally, now that I'm a brunnette, I can successfully pull of a red lip. Oh Yeah!! I went home last night and played in my boxes of GWP rejects, things I had that I never really liked/ used. And last year I bought a cover girl true shine in Fire ( or flame? anyway, it's BRIGHT red) and never really used it, it was too hard. Now it looks great! I am so thrilled. And I put on some Lancome eyeshadow in gold, just over my irises and it really punched up the blue.

Thanks everyone, for your input and suggestions. As far as the smokey eye goes, i will be playing with that after work today.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AngelaGM /img/forum/go_quote.gif I think changing your hair color means you get to buy more makeup! =) Well, don't think this thought had not occured to me. I have been ordering things the past week or so for my Christmas haul. Now, will I be able to keep my mitts off until Christmas ? Probably not. Sigh... No will power where Makeup is concerned.
Now I cannot send PMs until I have 50 posts, so I will answer a question I got earlier today,

Ohio

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LilyLady /img/forum/go_quote.gif Oh Yeah!! I went home last night and played in my boxes of GWP rejects, things I had that I never really liked/ used. And last year I bought a cover girl true shine in Fire ( or flame? anyway, it's BRIGHT red) and never really used it, it was too hard. Now it looks great! I am so thrilled. And I put on some Lancome eyeshadow in gold, just over my irises and it really punched up the blue.
Thanks everyone, for your input and suggestions. As far as the smokey eye goes, i will be playing with that after work today.

I know what you mean...I had a bunch of red lipsticks that people had given me and I would keep them for a couple of months and just throw them away because no red ever seemed to work for me. Then, a little while after I dyed my hair, I decided to try red lips again for a costume I wearing and I absolutely loved the look. This hair color gives me a lot more options with my makeup.

Reaction score
i have never changed my hair color, but i think it's important to change your makeup as well as your haircolor.

Reaction score
With red hair, I think that you could had more bronzes, golds, purples, greens, to your collections as far as the eyes. For the lips, I think bronze tones, reds would work wonderfully.

Reaction score
when i had the front part of my hair stop-light red, aqua was my fav shadow cause it really made my eyes pop wtih the red hair and all.

Reaction score
i think so, when i had blonde hair i didnt wear much makeup,,,everything seemed like it blended in

brown hair now...i gotta wear alot

Reaction score
I have natural red hair (so I also have the pale skin, but it's a warm tone), and I have found for lips I like pinkish bronze hues (I love the Stila lip gloss that came with the LE Kitten set a year or so ago), and sometimes I go for reds, but only in gloss... I stay away from red lipstick. For my face I have found that peaches and light bronze colors work best with my hair, but it has to be light or else the hair color kind of draws attention to the reddish pigments. For my eyes I love golds, bronzes, browns, greens (but I love green anyways though) and purples. Purple is one that I mostly use only as a liner, because as eyeshadow, in any shade, it looks to dark with my skin... all other colors are ones I use for both shadow and liner with no issues.

I have the opposite issue from you, I just went from my natural deep red color to having so many highlights that I look more blond (and all the girls in my family think I'm nuts for messing with the red). I also got a dramatic style too though (really short in comparison to what I have been used to) so I am trying to gravitate towards more dramatic eye makeup at the very least (crazy colors I haven't wanted to try before with my long red hair), I'm finding that the experimenting is fun, and it's good to change things up once in a while.

Latest posts