Cheap makeup organization tips?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well I just have all of my makeup thrown into a little shower caddy, and for months now it has been spilling over. I need a cheap and convenient way to organize my makeup. 

What do you lovely people do with your makeup?

I actually bought a few desk organizing pieces on sale at the container store. They were much cheaper than the actual cosmetics storage and work just fine. I also have a blue bucket thing that I assume was intended for plants that I got on clearance at ikea for a dollar, and a pretty tray that was 75 cents at ikea that I use for my daily skincare and perfumes. I'm actually looking to put together a better organization sstem though. I wish I didn't rent so I could customize haha. 

I've had a few different arrangements that were pretty cheap! I really like those pull-out drawer organizers from Walmart (with the clear drawers) because they're stackable if your collection expands and they're usually around 10$. I labeled the drawers by product type and it made it easy to grab products in the morning! I've also used wooden drawers from IKEA (the small, desk-top organizers). Now, I have my products in a train-case since I need to carry them around for work, but a cheap tackle-box also works really well! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

I'm really digging the tacklebox idea! I'm about to move and it sounds convenient and easy.  

I use a medium sized makeup bag (it is boxy though) and it is over flowing so i think I'm going to have my mom's bf build me a vanity if not i am just going to get plastic storage boxes that stack, one for face, eyes, lips. I hate having everything together because i will go to grab a certain eyeshadow and find 10 lip glosses instead.

I have one of those rolling plastic drawer things. Drawers are classified by eyes, face, cheeks, lips, tools, etc. In each drawer are little containers that separate each thing. It was fairly inexpensive, I think I got it at Walmart or Target. 

Michael's craft store.  I have found a lot of things there, they have many diffferent types, just take a good look around and you'll find so many options.  Also, Target has a small but decent section, they have acrylic make up containers, a couple sizes and those are handy.

If you have a store called "Daiso" in your area, they have a bunch of cheap (1.50) containers and organizers. if it's not nearby it's not really worth the effort though, since they might not have stuff in stock

99 Cent Only and Dollar tree often have the small plastic baskets that are good for putting products in, too.

I just put up a good sized (a square foot at least) magnet board in my bathroom to hold the make-up I use the most so it won't clutter up the counter top while I put what I don't use daily in a caboodle under the sink.  Its silver with rounded corners and no frame, and with my make-up adorning it actually looks kinda chic!  I got it for 6 bucks at Wal-mart and snapped the dry erase marker of the side (it's glued to the cardboard backing, so this won't affect its appearance) and paid another 97 cents for a package of adhesive magnetic strips to cut and pop on my make-up.   It won't hold heavier stuff like big loose powders (but I didn't try adding more magnetic strip to the back of it, so maybe it will work) but it has already saved me loads of space.  Now I only need to keep my skincare stuff, toothbrush/paste, bar and hand soap and make-up brushes on my bathroom counter.  I hear you can do something similiar with a magnetic or metal sheet and a picture frame of your choice.  Just remove the glass, insert the sheet covered up with a thin but durable fabric or paper in a pretty design and presto!  Organization that doubles as art.  I'm thinking of making them for my sisters and mom using little 5x6 frames big enough to fit a "daily" look on. 

I go to Dollar Tree all the time for little things like cotton swabs and whatnot. Might have to look into that.

Originally Posted by calexxia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

99 Cent Only and Dollar tree often have the small plastic baskets that are good for putting products in, too.

This sounds adorable! Very creative too! And sounds easy enough. I think that this is what I am going to do.

Originally Posted by katelynbby /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I just put up a good sized (a square foot at least) magnet board in my bathroom to hold the make-up I use the most so it won't clutter up the counter top while I put what I don't use daily in a caboodle under the sink.  Its silver with rounded corners and no frame, and with my make-up adorning it actually looks kinda chic!  I got it for 6 bucks at Wal-mart and snapped the dry erase marker of the side (it's glued to the cardboard backing, so this won't affect its appearance) and paid another 97 cents for a package of adhesive magnetic strips to cut and pop on my make-up.   It won't hold heavier stuff like big loose powders (but I didn't try adding more magnetic strip to the back of it, so maybe it will work) but it has already saved me loads of space.  Now I only need to keep my skincare stuff, toothbrush/paste, bar and hand soap and make-up brushes on my bathroom counter.  I hear you can do something similiar with a magnetic or metal sheet and a picture frame of your choice.  Just remove the glass, insert the sheet covered up with a thin but durable fabric or paper in a pretty design and presto!  Organization that doubles as art.  I'm thinking of making them for my sisters and mom using little 5x6 frames big enough to fit a "daily" look on. 

For the products that I use on the daily, I use this, http://www.containerstore.com/shop/storage/drawers?productId=10019532&N=62561&Nao=20

And for all other products, I just bought small storage bins (http://www.containerstore.com/shop/storage/openBinsBaskets/plastic?productId=10008444&N=71223&Nao=20) and have labeled them to their categories!  Storage bins that are stackable are even greater.. like these! http://www.containerstore.com/shop/storage/drawers?productId=10008469&N=62561

Obviously, I'm a huge fan of The Container Store, lol.

Latest posts

Back