Chi Chi's here is NO MORE, post copycat recipes here

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
They went out of business. The one in my hometown is closed and the one here is closed. Are they closing all over? I found one of the items off the menu I <3ed:

Quote:

Chi-Chi's Sweet Spanish Corn Cake

1/2 C. butter or margarine, softened

1/3 C. masa harina

1/4 C. water

1 package (10 oz.) frozen corn, thawed

1/3 C. sugar

4 T. yellow cornmeal

2 T. whipping cream

1/4 t. baking powder

1/4 t. salt

With an electric mixer, beat butter or margarine until fluffy. Gradually beat in masa harina. On low speed, beat in water.

Place corn in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until chopped coarse. Stir in masa mixture.

In a small bowl, stir together sugar, cornmeal, cream, baking powder, and salt. Stir into corn mixture. Spread in a greased, 8-inch-square baking pan. Cover with foil. Place in a larger pan and pour boiling water half way up the side of the smaller pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes or until set.

Remove smaller pan from water, uncover, and let stand 15 minutes.

Makes 8 servings.

I need to find their tortilla soup recipe!

Originally Posted by Pinktronic They went out of business. The one in my hometown is closed and the one here is closed. Are they closing all over? I found one of the items off the menu I <3ed:
[/left]

I need to find their tortilla soup recipe!

Sadly, they closed the only nearby one about 10 years ago... that was a good restaurant
icon_sad.gif

That really sucks. It was just recently mine and the one here where I got to school closed down. I loved them. I am going to miss them. They had the best salsa, hot salsa. My boyfriend tried to replicate it a few times and just could not get it. Rawr.
frown.gif

I love their salsa but it looks like the restaurants are no more, I do remember hearing on the news about a hepatitis A outbreak so I did some checking, ended up killing 4 people and causing over 600 more to get sick, they had filed for bankruptcy shortly before that even happened, another article I found said that Outback Steakhouse closed on a $42 million dollar deal for the rights of 76 Chi-Chi's restaurants. We used to eat at the one they had here but it closed some time ago. Anywho....here's one of the articles if anyone is interested.

http://www.marlerclark.com/news/chichis97.htm

Thank you SO MUCH for that link. That's too cool about the tortilla soup packets. I <3ed that stuff. No other place I have had it has it as good. And, that's odd about all the closings and the breakout. Scary.
frown.gif
I heard about Outback purchasing them but was wondering what they were going to do with them. My boy heard they are turning them into seafood places. lol Quite the opposite of what the restaurants were.

I love their HOT salsa. Thank goodness my supermarket stocks it, it's thick, not watery like some others and best of all it's HOT.

Originally Posted by Sofia I love their HOT salsa. Thank goodness my supermarket stocks it, it's thick, not watery like some others and best of all it's HOT. I remember always devouring the chips/dip on the tables, that I'd be stuffed when the meal came! lol ah... the memories! Remember the paper sombreros!?!?
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Originally Posted by NYAngel98 I remember always devouring the chips/dip on the tables, that I'd be stuffed when the meal came! lol ah... the memories! Remember the paper sombreros!?!?
icon_cheesygrin.gif
Any one ever eat at "onthe border"?Its pretty yummy,and Don Juan's,I dont know if they have that in other states,but there is two that I know of in li,new york.

Latest posts

Back