Chi flat iron usage

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi I am African American (black) I am getting ready to cut my hair to a chin length bob. I own a chi but only use it when my relaxed hair is in need of a touch up and I can't get in so at most 1x in a 2 month period. My question is for my kind of hair if using the Chi suits my style better, is it safe to use every other day or as needed. I have the proctective spray and stuff, but I barely use any heat on my hair on a regular basis so as to not damage it.

Erica

I use my Chi every other day and my hair is very and I mean very damaged. Honestly the Chi makes my hair look healthy. If you are going to start using it more often be sure to buy a heat protector for your hair. Anything heat wise will damage your hair, just be sure to keep it protected.

Originally Posted by SmartStyle437 I use my Chi every other day and my hair is very and I mean very damaged. Honestly the Chi makes my hair look healthy. If you are going to start using it more often be sure to buy a heat protector for your hair. Anything heat wise will damage your hair, just be sure to keep it protected. Thanks I was beginning to think no one would answer lolErica

I would still be really careful if your hair is already relaxed. Definitely use a protectant spray, and try to do 90% with a blow dryer, rollers or whatever you normally use, then just use the iron to touch it up... I think using it that often and then relaxing on top of it - it's a lot of stress to your hair.
icon_wink.gif

Originally Posted by erica_1020 Thanks it was helpful
icon_cheesygrin.gif
Glad that I was able to help!

I personally would not use it every other day, that is too much heat in relaxed hair and over time you will see damage. I dont know ow often you shampoo but I would use the chi once a week. I would just do a rollers set and maybe touch up you new growth with the chi. Wrap it at night and you should be good for the week.

Originally Posted by yshekam I personally would not use it every other day, that is too much heat in relaxed hair and over time you will see damage. I dont know ow often you shampoo but I would use the chi once a week. I would just do a rollers set and maybe touch up you new growth with the chi. Wrap it at night and you should be good for the week. Thanks I just got my hair cut btw it is shorter than I have ever had it in my life, just below the ears

Originally Posted by erica_1020 Thanks I just got my hair cut btw it is shorter than I have ever had it in my life, just below the ears Is the temperature on you chi adjustable?

Originally Posted by erica_1020 No it isn't You should use it once a week. I have a ceramic iron that i can adjust the heat on, but Chi gets to 400 degrees. If you use it too much it can cause dryness and breakage on relaxed hair. You should probably just hit your newgrowth with it to get it straight. Definately dont use it every other day. Thats too much for any type of iron.

Thanks so much...I probably shouldn't have to use it much I wrap it at night so probably after 3 to 4 weeks

Latest posts

Back