Cleaning falsies

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
does anyone have any good tips for removing glue residue from my false eyelashes? they're more expensive ones from mac so I don't want to throw them away, but the glue residue is difficult to remove without damaging them. Any ideas?

Not sure Rosie but I have a friend that wears MAC lashes everyday.I'll ask her over the weekend

thanks chicken
smile.gif
I thought maybe baby oil but I'll wait and see what your friend suggests

yeah please tell us the answer farris when you find it out.

caue i have mac lashes and because of that reason i havent used them yet.

I just talked to my friend.She wears the lashes 24/7 and then puts on a fresh pair whenever she feels they need to be replaced.She put some on me and I lasted 4 hours! They look beautiful on her,I thought they were hers until she told me they weren't! She wears 7s. I hope this helps.

Originally Posted by pinksugar /img/forum/go_quote.gif hmm. That's irritating. Looks like i'll have to buy a new pair! Maybe you could try to clean them with baby oil and reapply the glue,just to see if it works out for you? She told me that hers last a good 2 weeks or so. I know its still pricey even if you bought them twice a month. They are $11 here in the US.

In my opinion buying cheap false eyelashes is the way to go for any normal looking pair. Ardell and MAC look the exact same to me! Any extravagant pair say with sparkles, crystals, neat colors or texture or anything special like that I would save for more special occasions.

Originally Posted by Killah Kitty /img/forum/go_quote.gif In my opinion buying cheap false eyelashes is the way to go for any normal looking pair. Ardell and MAC look the exact same to me! Any extravagant pair say with sparkles, crystals, neat colors or texture or anything special like that I would save for more special occasions. Ditto.
BUT the only way I do it is by actually peeling off the glue itself with my fingers or tweezers - it would last me some time, the only reason why I throw them away is because mascara makes them flaky over time and that's yucky to me.

Before I would soak it in water to loosen it up but it would make it soft and change the shape of the falsies, so I stopped doing that.

...Maybe adding a bit of makeup remover and peeling it off with a tweezer will work as well?

Originally Posted by CellyCell /img/forum/go_quote.gif ...Maybe adding a bit of makeup remover and peeling it off with a tweezer will work as well? Yes this does work pretty good. I use a cotton pad thing, I put alot of makeup remover on it, I use an oil based remover just for this because my oil-free one doesn't work as well to break down the glue. Let them soak folded in the cotton pad (sorry if my explaining sucks) for about a minute, then the glue should just peel off without any tugging or bending the falsies. Use tweezers to be more precise especially if you dont have long nails. This should also help clean off any mascara, if you used that too.
Hope that helped!

woah! $11! in Oz mac lashes are $20! I bought them because I had a gift card, lol. I will def. try the makeup remover technique and see if I can find somewhere that stocks ardell. I found one place but now it's closed down so I will have to go on the hunt again. Grumble.
biggrin.gif

I'm really glad I found this thread because I've been trying to figure out the best way to clean my falsies, too. I'm going to give the oil-based makeup remover and tweezer technique a try.

Instead of an oil-based makeup remover, if you don't have one already, try just a body oil. I use whatever I use on my skin. What I do is pour a quarter to half-dollar size in my palm and then drop the lash strip in the oil. Then I massage the lash strip into my palm and the oil, then remove the lash-strip from the oil, and massage just the strip by itself. By this time, the glue already starts to separate from the lash-strip on it's own a bit, but I can easily start to pull it off in small strips and large bits with my fingers (no tweezers neccesary!) The oil also moisturizes the lashes (human or artificial) if you have put any mascara on them (I don't, but some do). After all the glue is removed (this usually takes only about a minute), then lay the lashes out on apaper towel for the night to dry. You can even do this the day after you've taken those babies off, and it will still work!
biggrin.gif
I have cleaned my falsies this way forever, and I get at least 10 uses out the regular, non-embellished ones, easy! HTH!

Originally Posted by utmostrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif Instead of an oil-based makeup remover, if you don't have one already, try just a body oil. I use whatever I use on my skin. What I do is pour a quarter to half-dollar size in my palm and then drop the lash strip in the oil. Then I massage the lash strip into my palm and the oil, then remove the lash-strip from the oil, and massage just the strip by itself. By this time, the glue already starts to separate from the lash-strip on it's own a bit, but I can easily start to pull it off in small strips and large bits with my fingers (no tweezers neccesary!) The oil also moisturizes the lashes (human or artificial) if you have put any mascara on them (I don't, but some do). After all the glue is removed (this usually takes only about a minute), then lay the lashes out on apaper towel for the night to dry. You can even do this the day after you've taken those babies off, and it will still work!
biggrin.gif
I have cleaned my falsies this way forever, and I get at least 10 uses out the regular, non-embellished ones, easy! HTH! That makes sense. I'm going to try this, too.

Yup, i wear 'em all the time and all i do is gently peel the glue off, and i try not to put mascara on them if i can help it, it prolongs the amount you can wear them. Also, i kinda roll the glue side between two fingers first very gently, then i peel it off. I'm going to try the makeup remover thing though. Either way, i have expensive ones and all, but i find the Ardel demi-wispies are the best anyways, HTH

I've always peeled off the glue by hand, wash with soap, and then soak them in alcohol for a bit to sanitize and then let air dry. I've never used an oil cleanser to clean because I'm afraid that the oil will never completely come off, making the next time to apply much harder for the glue to adhere.

When I'm working with lashes that are $30-$50 each, there's no way that model is walking out the door with them!!! hehe

also, those amazing feather lashes, how the heck can you get those clean? they are gorg by the way....

thanks for the tips everyone. I will definately try them.. my poor mac lashes look awful at the mo!

Originally Posted by utmostrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif Instead of an oil-based makeup remover, if you don't have one already, try just a body oil. I use whatever I use on my skin. What I do is pour a quarter to half-dollar size in my palm and then drop the lash strip in the oil. Then I massage the lash strip into my palm and the oil, then remove the lash-strip from the oil, and massage just the strip by itself. By this time, the glue already starts to separate from the lash-strip on it's own a bit, but I can easily start to pull it off in small strips and large bits with my fingers (no tweezers neccesary!) The oil also moisturizes the lashes (human or artificial) if you have put any mascara on them (I don't, but some do). After all the glue is removed (this usually takes only about a minute), then lay the lashes out on apaper towel for the night to dry. You can even do this the day after you've taken those babies off, and it will still work!
biggrin.gif
I have cleaned my falsies this way forever, and I get at least 10 uses out the regular, non-embellished ones, easy! HTH! Thanks utmostrose! This sounds like a great technique too, maybe even better than my own lol. I am like lipstickgrrll, I am kind of afraid of using too much oil that the glue wont stick so well next time, but I guess I use an oily make up remover and let it dry and its fine, so same thing with your technique I'm guessing. I will try it, sounds good
smile.gif

Latest posts

Back